Royce 5'9 & DJ Premier album "PRhyme"

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Truth.

Royce 5'9 & DJ Premier album "PRhyme"

Post by Truth. »

DJ Premier and Royce Da 5'9" detail their upcoming "PRhyme" album and reveal that it will have features from Killer Mike, Jay Electronica, Common, Ab-Soul, ScHoolboy Q, Slaughterhouse, Mac Miller and Dwele.

Nine days ago, DJ Premier and Royce Da 5'9" appeared together in a brief video that hinted at a joint project entitled "PRhyme." Now, the duo have confirmed that a joint album is on the way and have revealed plans for several high-profile features.

The PRhyme album will be entirely produced by Premo, with sample contributions from Adrian Younge (who recently produced albums by Ghostface Killah and The Souls Of Mischief). Killer Mike, Jay Electronica, Common, Ab-Soul, ScHoolboy Q, Slaughterhouse, Mac Miller and Dwele will all appear on the project.

Both spoke to XXL about the album, with Royce saying "“I want people to appreciate the fact that we didn’t compromise in lieu of the environment. In order to try to change the way that people digest music, we had to take a leap of faith.” Premo added “The bar has to be high. For this album to be another body of work and another chapter for both of our lives.”

This is the first time DJ Premier will release a full length collaborative project since he was in Gang Starr.

Brougham33

Re: Royce 5'9 & DJ Premier album "PRhyme"

Post by Brougham33 »

Nice, looking forward to this.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

all the ingredients are here
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

What about the full bumpy knuckles collab? I know plenty was old material but still

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

YES!

looks great on paper

and FUCK YES to Royce saying "we ain't gonna do NOTHING POPULAR to appease none of you new age fuckboys" :bow: :rofl:

hit em wit da BOOM BAP
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:all the ingredients are here
except for the 90's...

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

I'm in.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

can somebody edit out Mac Miller and :upload: this album when it drops?

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

beautiful

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Philaflava wrote:can somebody edit out Mac Miller and :upload: this album when it drops?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:hooray: :ironmike: :leon:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Would have been a lot more pumped if they announced this in '08 when I thought Royce and the rest of SH was actually dope.

AXEWOUNDFISTER
OG FISTOLA

Post by AXEWOUNDFISTER »

Adrian Younge has a good ear for samples should be album of the year

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i'd probably rather hear mac miller and dj premier over royce and premier. i dug royce back around 99 - 2001 or so, but dude got boring to me real quick.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

that was dope
and

ok ive been trying really hard to not like mac miller, i just cant get over his inherent corniness. can he rap? can someone other than my 17 year old cousin confirm this?

step one

Post by step one »

Mac Miller is terrible.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

They talked about doing this 7 or 8 years ago I think. They made a dope streetsingle for it with a sort of boxing theme and a beat with a piano, but I can't remember what it was called.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:They talked about doing this 7 or 8 years ago I think. They made a dope streetsingle for it with a sort of boxing theme and a beat with a piano, but I can't remember what it was called.
'Hip Hop'.
They also did 'Boom'.
good stuff.

sleazy_j wrote:i'd probably rather hear Marshall Mathers and dj premier
FIXED, WITH THE PROPER M & M NAME YOU PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE MEANT TO SAY :nut: :rofl:

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:They talked about doing this 7 or 8 years ago I think. They made a dope streetsingle for it with a sort of boxing theme and a beat with a piano, but I can't remember what it was called.
"Ding! Ding!" http://youtu.be/OkKp6rwEuPM

I'm still looking for a better cdq version.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

What about a full album collab with Big Shug?
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

The Frankest wrote:

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/13 ... _exam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Google says it eventually ended up on this mixtape, not sure if you knew already. There was a proper mp3 back when the song came out. Links are all dead I guess.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Im afraid to check how bad Royce is now. Shake This was the last Primo one I remember enjoying

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^^that was off "street hop". that had some real dope joints. royce is fire when he's having fun.

the promo video is no fun. predictably boring. if we get an album full of premo joints there will hopefully be a few that don't fall into the trap of "hey let's do a premo joint"
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

beat is nasty

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/prhyme-c ... p-mp3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. Nas
2. Drake

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

between the tracklist and what has been released already, i'm cautiously optimistic about this album/ep. Royce has been wildly inconsistent/annoying for the last couple of years but he has always brought his A game when premier produces.

step one

Post by step one »

samdoom wrote:between the tracklist and what has been released already, i'm cautiously optimistic about this album/ep. Royce has been wildly inconsistent/annoying for the last couple of years but he has always brought his A game when premier produces.

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
The Frankest wrote:

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/13 ... _exam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Google says it eventually ended up on this mixtape, not sure if you knew already. There was a proper mp3 back when the song came out. Links are all dead I guess.
Yeah, I was looking for years but still have that Windows error sound (around the "I just make the credits roll" line) on my best rip. I fucking loved the track at the time and still do... If you find a cdq quality version with no half-assed tags or DJ Rewiiiiind syndromes all on it (the mixtape you linked to has such problems) I'd be honored to make it down and buy you beers on the TR136 card someday.

I can't believe the way people disregard Royce nowadays though, I blame Jason :phila:... He started bad-mouthing (nh) Royce and sure enough, the band-wagon followed. *denzel voice* NOT ME THOUGH... The promo-video is fine, and dude's got more chemistry with Premier than most, so it's a perfect fit that PHRYME actually happens.

Dap

Post by Dap »

royce has been kinda shitty for the most part over the last, oh i'd say about 7 years. almost the only tracks he did which were worthwhile happened to be with primo. so i will be checking for this for sure

step one

Post by step one »

The Frankest wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
The Frankest wrote:

Yeah, I was looking for years but still have that Windows error sound (around the "I just make the credits roll" line) on my best rip. I fucking loved the track at the time and still do... If you find a cdq quality version with no half-assed tags or DJ Rewiiiiind syndromes all on it (the mixtape you linked to has such problems) I'd be honored to make it down and buy you beers on the TR136 card someday.

I can't believe the way people disregard Royce nowadays though, I blame Jason :phila:... He started bad-mouthing (nh) Royce and sure enough, the band-wagon followed. *denzel voice* NOT ME THOUGH... The promo-video is fine, and dude's got more chemistry with Premier than most, so it's a perfect fit that PHRYME actually happens.
I've got the 12" of 'Ding' ( :pause: ) if you want a vinyl rip?

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

step one wrote:I've got the 12" of 'Ding' ( :pause: ) if you want a vinyl rip?
Oh shit, yes plz :bow:

The old MONSTER Royce of 2006-2010 was the fucking illest. But there's something about the new comfortable Royce to be appreciated as well. New days, new perspectives and such... And then an album with Premier in 2014? And a new darker Slaughterhouse album EP'd by Just Blaze on the way, moving on from the clunker that was "Our House"? Sounds pretty fresh to me.