37%
OutKast.
63%

Total votes: 97

chump change
The Mayor

Re: Outkast or Mobb Deep?

Post by chump change »

christian from austin wrote:what if i won an appeal, and they release me. in my bag of belongings would be my hard earned music collection.
:gayzoos: :lol:

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Cleanhobo wrote:
pradadon wrote:
jazzmatazz23 wrote:Outkasts first 3 CD's >>>> then any hip hop artist or groups first 3 cd's.

Side note, The infamous is in my top 5 albums of all time.
Better than the first 3 Tribe albums? I think not.
Q-Tip and Phife couldn't carry Andre or Big Boi's used jockstraps if we're talking MC skills, talent, lyricism and all that encapsulates the art form.

Beats get tricky. I love Dungeon Family production, but I certainly couldn't fault someone for preferring the traditional east coast boom-bap aesthetics of Tribe's first three classics.
It's pretty painful to listen to phife verses in 2014...

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
pradadon wrote:
jazzmatazz23 wrote:Outkasts first 3 CD's >>>> then any hip hop artist or groups first 3 cd's.

Q-Tip and Phife couldn't carry Andre or Big Boi's used jockstraps if we're talking MC skills, talent, lyricism and all that encapsulates the art form.

Beats get tricky. I love Dungeon Family production, but I certainly couldn't fault someone for preferring the traditional east coast boom-bap aesthetics of Tribe's first three classics.
That's cool but you're a rapist so your opinion doesn't matter.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Cleanhobo wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
pradadon wrote:

That's cool but you're a rapist so your opinion doesn't matter.
And your sister was #WETANDMOANING when she got gangbanged by those frat brothers

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Wait... so she's real now? I thought she was fictional. I can't keep up with you, bro. Do dat raype!

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Cleanhobo wrote:Wait... so she's real now? I thought she was fictional. I can't keep up with you, bro. Do dat raype!
So you're admitting she isn't real?

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Cleanhobo wrote:Wait... so she's real now? I thought she was fictional. I can't keep up with you, bro. Do dat raype!
Who?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Cleanhobo wrote:
Who?
Your "sister" that got "raped"

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Say what?

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Cleanhobo wrote:
pradadon wrote:

While I agree that lyrically Tip and Phife can't really fuck with A and Boi, there is no doubt in my mind that the first 3 Tribe albums are superior as it pertains to the genre. Production is not even up for discussion. Importance to the genre? Also not up for discussion. Outkast is a much more popular group, however they did not gain that popularity until they made music designedf for the masses. They did a great job of it. It's easy to look back and say that things sound dated, but when you say "ever" you have to look at things objectively as everything is relative to the time period, even if you are looking at the genre as a whole. Of course, the arguments can be made from each side of the time continuum, however saying that the first 3 Outkast albums are greater than any other group in the history of the genre does a disservice to a great deal of groups. EPMD? De La? Tribe? NWA? The Geto Boys? Mobb?

Outkast is certainly in the discussion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not mad that someone would think that, but to just say it as an outright fact is bold in my opinion.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

I agree, although I didn't make that statement.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Ha. I know, it was a general response to both of you.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The first 3 ATCQ albums > any hip-hop groups first 3 albums.

The first 2 Ice Cube solos > any single rappers first 2 albums.

Let's just agree with common sense and move on.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

I've always been a lyrics guy. I love Tribe's first 3 albums, and even some of their 4th album, but their lyrics always left a lot to be desired.

And I know you mentioned O'Shea, but you have to concede that regional bias does play a role here. I mean, if you ask a bunch of lifelong hip hop fans from Texas the same question a good chunk of them would not only pick The Geto Boys, but most of them wouldn't even mention Tribe at all.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

2 of my favorites. Love both but Outkast gets the nod because at least I'd get to hear a few female voices singing on hooks etc..More instrumentation. Mobb would be ideal for the yard, mess hall, gym and phone line. Kast would be more suitable at the domino table, working and kicking back in the cell.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

havoc is one of my personal "dude is underrated as fuck" rappers and producers

but outkast is musically so rich and creative. i am an east coast bias dinosaur and i still cannot pick mobb deep over outkast
Nets 2022

Thun

Post by Thun »

Other than Tribe's debut, they don't have any albums that I want to listen to front to back anymore.

Low End Theory is just ... loungy and pretentious sounding now. You'd fully expect to hear some alt-dude bro philosophy major type douchebag playing it while slurping obscure coffee and pretending to read Nietzche while bemoaning his lack of basic bitch pussy.
Midnight Marauders is way too much fender rhodes happy sound, as Blockhead has pointed out. Most of the album sounds kind of silly and tepid at this point.

Just sayin'.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Thun wrote:Other than Tribe's debut, they don't have any albums that I want to listen to front to back anymore.

Low End Theory is just ... loungy and pretentious sounding now. You'd fully expect to hear some alt-dude bro philosophy major type douchebag playing it while slurping obscure coffee and pretending to read Nietzche while bemoaning his lack of basic bitch pussy.
Midnight Marauders is way too much fender rhodes happy sound, as Blockhead has pointed out. Most of the album sounds kind of silly and tepid at this point.

Just sayin'.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Thun wrote:Other than Tribe's debut, they don't have any albums that I want to listen to front to back anymore.

Just sayin'.
Rather on point.

Basically, you have to be really in a certain mood to listen to tribe these days, whereas mobbs music is timeless and fits right in pretty nicely even in current times.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Yep, seriously. Mobb Deep's sophomore album has aged better than any post-debut Tribe album, and is a better executed realization of Q-Tip's vision.
Last edited by Thun on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

step one

Post by step one »

Thun wrote:Yep, seriously. Mobb Deep's sophomore album has aged better than any posy-debut Tribe album.
yeah possibly, although I listen to and enjoy Midnight Marauders more than any other album in this conversation.
Thun wrote: and is a better executed realization of Q-Tip's vision.
:naswtf:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Thun

Post by Thun »

As far as a bassy NY street sound where super hard drums are placed under tweaked obscure jazz fusion samples that you would never think could sound menacing, yeah The Infamous is better.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Other than "We Can Get Down" and "Steve Biko" none of the tracks from Marauders get any burn from me these days.

I'd rather be mauled by leopard seals than have to hear "Electric Relaxation" ever again.

Thun

Post by Thun »

As far as Outkast vs Mobb Deep, I think it might ultimately come down to your general music preferences.

If you really like the blues with your soul, Outkast is pretty much the best thing on earth.

If you're into jazzy-soul moods that have practically had all obvious blues influence ripped right out for effect, it's Mobb Deep all day.

step one

Post by step one »

Thun wrote:As far as a bassy NY street sound where super hard drums are placed under tweaked obscure jazz fusion samples that you would never think could sound menacing, yeah The Infamous is better.
True but I'm not sure "Q Tip's vision" with Tribe was ever to make anything sound menacing.
If anything he probably saw The Infamous as a chance to be involved in something that lyrically was the polar opposite of ATCQ.

Lyrics To Go (that Minnie Riperton sample) and Midnight still knock imo.
Anyway, thread aint about Tribe.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Thun

Post by Thun »

So when you listen to the instrumental for "buggin' out" what exactly do you hear?

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

Thun wrote:So when you listen to the instrumental for "buggin' out" what exactly do you hear?
my favorite tribe song

shits hard

juelz the don

Post by juelz the don »

outkast easily.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »