New Blog Order / Cult Of Young Lean

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

BadLT

New Blog Order / Cult Of Young Lean

Post by BadLT »

I just foud this interview of PureBakingSoda, you probably know him as the french blogger with the awesome drawings and gifs. He talks about the rise of Asap Rocky and shit. But he's telling a really intriguing story at the end of the interview:
Do you believe that « Influential blogs » in rap music are necessarily manipulated by Stevielike guys?

Sometimes it’s not completely conscious or as well thought out as Stevie did, so I don’t know if we can talk about manipulation, but there are definitely some artists that are being helped by some blogs. It can be explained by friendliness. As artists eventually get closer with bloggers/journalists for instance. There is this one blog of a skating clothing brand, talking a lot about rap music; this is exactly what I’m saying… Rappers they highlight always have a small success thanks to their support… And after chatting here and there, I realised that it’s just a huge friendliness network. Neither the rappers nor the bloggers are completely aware of it.

And there’s also some quite vicious stuff. Here’s a funny one. I’m part of a Facebook group gathering almost all the American bloggers, something like 10 rappers and a bunch of producers… One day we asked ourselves, if we all started to praise somebody at the same time on our different websites, wrapping up the whole thing well, like taking a beat from that well-known producer, a featuring with this hot cat and shit… Would we succeed in making believe he’s dope ?

We took someone from the group who didn’t know how to rap, someone ghostwrited his lyrics and we made him rap on some beat from a producer everyone would know… One after the other, every blogger from the group wrote some stuff to explain why it was dope… It worked. But even more than everything we could have imagined. As this artist went highly praised by all the « tastemaker » blogs, for real. We found him in some year-end blog lists from bone-headed hipsters websites nearly interested in rap, some articles saying it was revolutionary, including some big players like Complex, Fader, Spin, Pitchfork… And now… well this artist has a career. Not amongst the rap audience, but amongst kind of retarded hipsters who love to believe that they listen to rap music, it’s a hit. This artist is touring now, hanging around with stars and shit… I think I won’t reveal his identity for now, but someday someone will, for sure.

Anyway, I don’t know if it’s a proof that these kinds of practices do exist, but it’s a proof it definitely works.

More on a RNT model, there are the Baller’s Eve guys, responsible for launching Yelawof, Trinidad James and a few other careers. The boss of this radio/blog seems to hang out and find new talents pretty much everywhere, then manages them a bit undercover before pretending he discovers them when posting on his blog.
Who's that mysterious influential blogs supported rapper ? Are you Steady Bloggin guys involved in the Facebook conspiracy?

The hunt is on

the whole thing with an english translation at the end: http://www.dasswassup.com/musics/buzz-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... akingsoda/
Last edited by BadLT on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Who's the mysterious rapper

Post by drizzle »

the 'friendliness network' thing is true

the baller's eve thing is also true but nowhere near as covert as he makes it sound. Dirt doesn't really hide his attachment to the people he manages

the facebook group is real, i'm not in it

idk who the mystery rapper is, but one can make a few solid guesses
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

step one

Post by step one »

Riff Raff?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

lol definitely not riff raff

BadLT

Post by BadLT »

It's probably some useless hipster bait rapper draped in Mishka like Mr Muthafuckin eXquire.

Everybody noticed his song Huzzah on that Necro banger for sure.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

So utterly ghey.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

drizzle wrote:lol definitely not riff raff
i first thought Riff Raff too :rofl:

then maybe thought Trinidad James

then maybe Wiz Khalifa but he's too big now

this might be what joe buddens referred to when he said "you rappers are too scared to fuck up your relationships"

maybe Chief Keef? nah but he kinda fits

Mac Miller? he's not 1000% wack, but he's not loved by rap heads as far as I can tell

this is the modern version of that 90's corporate boardroom meeting that killed conscious hip hop :cas:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

not sure if it's the same facebook group, but kitty (pryde) and chippy nonstop both talked on my podcast about this facebook group they were in with a lot of journalists / influencers / hip hop heads and some of the asap dudes were in. wonder if this is related.
Last edited by intuition on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

probably the same group, i doubt there is more than one

young lean is a solid guess I think, not sure if he's actually it though. not sure if he's at the level of popularity that the interview implies, yet

most of the others named (except Trinidad) have an easily traceable history of releasing music that predates their blog hype

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

:spidey:

id say trinidad james

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

but dude mentions trinidad james in that blurb after saying he wouldn't name names...for me, logic excludes him.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

thekeentwo wrote::spidey:

id say trinidad james
It's definitely a paste.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I'm going to hazard a guess that it isn't actually a he at all : Kitty Pryde.

Fits the description down to a tee and is (was?) managed by the same guy who manages Main Attraktionz.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

was, I don't think he manages anybody anymore

kitty was my guess as well - the timing, circumstances and level of exposure seem right on the money

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

your guesses are pretty terrible MB. mac miller? wiz khalifa??
kitty pryde seems to fit the bill

most of the other things mentioned aren't exactly conspiracy worthy. management is supposed to drum up hype, support, build relationships & expand opportunities/platforms. people are also going to naturally build friendships & want to support one another. the internet just makes everyone more accessible & everyone so interconnected that lots of things cycle really fast, "hype" exists on a level it didn't before, etc. but that kind of goes for everything right? music, clothing, food, movies, beer, etc.

starks

Post by starks »

this could be like 90 different people who've come out in the past few years

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

DO YOU WANT TO BE A PART OF THE WORLDWIDE COOL GUY NETWORK OR NOT?

buy some flyknits or roshes, tweet/blog about the right artists early & often or play said artists in your DJ sets, have the know-with-all to accumulate a bit of an audeience yourself (either online or locally).. eventually you'll be backstage sharing champagne with ASAP Yams when he comes to your town

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ackbar wrote:your guesses are pretty terrible MB. mac miller? wiz khalifa??
kitty pryde seems to fit the bill

most of the other things mentioned aren't exactly conspiracy worthy. management is supposed to drum up hype, support, build relationships & expand opportunities/platforms. people are also going to naturally build friendships & want to support one another. the internet just makes everyone more accessible & everyone so interconnected that lots of things cycle really fast, "hype" exists on a level it didn't before, etc. but that kind of goes for everything right? music, clothing, food, movies, beer, etc.
i love when people tear other people down without building up their own thoughts :rofl:
i thought kitty pryde and kreayshawn too, but i mean... they have no future at all now

no smarter suggestions of your own, supergenius ackbarian mensa prophet imam? :bunk:

all this stupid ass shit is NOT hip hop culture evolving, about community empowerment or knowledge of self-oriented :arrow:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BadLT

Post by BadLT »

Remember that the mysterious rapper has to be produced by a kinda established producer. What's actually Kitty Pride's first song? And who produced it? But yeah she sure came out of nowhere.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i didn't really think about it too much tbh MB. sorry for coming off so aggressive xoxo

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

ive never heard of a kitty pryde and i feel i should keep it this way

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Kreay Kreay is a good bet too - her connections with notable music people(directing for Lil B, hanging out with various Bay rappers) go back a while and this dude Speak has admitted he writes for her, I see him talking on twitter with bloggers

step one

Post by step one »

drizzle wrote:
the facebook group is real, i'm not in it
:free:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

thekeentwo wrote:ive never heard of a kitty pryde and i feel i should keep it this way
you are doing yourself a big disservice, this song is so amazing...

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Larry2times wrote:Kreay Kreay is a good bet too - her connections with notable music people(directing for Lil B, hanging out with various Bay rappers) go back a while and this dude Speak has admitted he writes for her, I see him talking on twitter with bloggers
i can't be positive, but i don't think speak was a part of this FB group. He was telling folks about plans to write for kreayshawn back in '09 and that blew up in '11 and it was openly known he wrote it by the end of '11. the interviewee would have no reason to keep that secret at this point.

kitty's first song that got big was over a beautiful lou beat, who got known through Lil B and had just done some production for Rocky and who, according to her, was also part of the FB group. if it's her, it only surprises me that he claims she didn't write the lyrics (she seems to be a formidable prose writer), the rest seems to make perfect sense as she's pretty open about having been involved with that FB group.
Last edited by intuition on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i haven't read the first post yet, but with all this talk about kitty pride, it is somewhat strange that of all the no-name rappers that riff raff worked with, to have VICE immediately contact him and her to do a song and video together was odd.
hell, if he needed a female rapper, he already had a rapport with v-nasty and kreayshawn in place before that.

i hadn't seen riff raff riskingly go attempt a track with any notable up and coming rappers since.
or even before, actually. he hung out with kreayshawn and v-nasty but never did music with them.
he's been sticking with cheap no-name guests like dollabillgates. he barely does anything with tko capone anymore, either.

i don't want to believe that trinidad james was hanging out on facebook groups before he decided to release a mixtape, either.

We took someone from the group who didn’t know how to rap, someone ghostwrited his lyrics and we made him rap on some beat from a producer everyone would know…
mixed with
year-end blog lists like Complex
(year-end being 2012 lists in this case)
brings up Captain Murphy, which is somewhat of a stretch, but also plausible.

that is, if his statement of "year-end lists" is true. i don't see kitty in any "best of" lists, thankfully.
Last edited by sleazy_j on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

intuition wrote:
Larry2times wrote:Kreay Kreay is a good bet too - her connections with notable music people(directing for Lil B, hanging out with various Bay rappers) go back a while and this dude Speak has admitted he writes for her, I see him talking on twitter with bloggers
i can't be positive, but i don't think speak was a part of this FB group. He was telling folks about plans to write for kreayshawn back in '09 and that blew up in '11 and it was openly known he wrote it by the end of '11. the interviewee would have no reason to keep that secret at this point.

kitty's first song that got big was over a beautiful lou beat, who got known through Lil B and had just done some production for Rocky and who, according to her, was also part of the FB group. if it's her, it only surprises me that he claims she didn't write the lyrics (she seems to be a formidable prose writer), the rest seems to make perfect sense as she's pretty open about having been involved with that FB group.
Yeah this makes sense. Shes been forthcoming about not having an interest in music til recently too

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

sleazy_j wrote: that is, if his statement of "year-end lists" is true. i don't see kitty in any "best of" lists, thankfully.
tripping.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... d-19691231

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yea she made plenty

absolutely not captain murphy

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ackbar wrote:i didn't really think about it too much tbh MB. sorry for coming off so aggressive xoxo
that's okay, i still love you, man.
you probably just didn't get the asian cunt brunch with a bump of nose candy you normally want
don't worry, she's coming soon

and i hope this rapper gets exposed and we trace the whole shit back to the first fake post

it would be good for rap and for the internet

what if it was Rick Ross :killacam: :rofl: :cheers: if only the world was so righteous :rofl: