Who's on Spotify? (2015 version)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

MIKEY

Who's on Spotify? (2015 version)

Post by MIKEY »

For those that think they have a great taste in music and want to prove it. Let us know what's up.

Use this thread and link your Spotify playlists/usernames for others to follow.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Re: Who's on Spotify? (2015 version)

Post by thekeentwo »

thekeenone is my username

i am slacking a bit lately but i got some decent shit up there

yourself?

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

broodbabyjed
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

opinionatedjay

i got a lot of 90s shit on there if you are interested.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Yeah I'm heavy on Spotify, still have yet to upgrade to Premium though. JR Cratesofjr is the name to look for.

You won't find a bunch of Golden Era Hip Hop on their though, better off doing a search at the blog or YouTube for that. I use Spotify to discover sounds I like in other genres that remind me of my favorite Hip Hop, a place I'm proud to be at in this stage of my life.

Check out my Around The Web In Break Beats playlist series for da Funk, my Beats playlist for current producers to look out for and my Hip Hop playlist for random new songs. I've got a Samples playlist too which is great to zone out to on a weekend.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

Bri.anderson.00

I'm new to it but its way better than Pandora so far. I use it primarily for the gym so far.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

im on there, same name as on here. i have a pretty extensive Young Dro playlist

Hush

Post by Hush »

hush7

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Check out Jamison Harvey of Flea Market Funk on Spotify for a heap of Funk and rare groove.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

magnumforce303

Hush

Post by Hush »

Bumping this old thread.

Here's my go-to 80s/90s hip hop playlist, always a work in progress:

https://player.spotify.com/user/hush7/p ... I0jB6y7GBZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

yep, get at me. got some of my stuff on there.
https://play.spotify.com/artist/1N7VLoN ... edium=open
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

the Discover Weekly playlists have been pretty awesome to me lately.

I don't solely listen to rap on Spotify, but over the last few months raps have been heaviest of reasons to use it, which might be why 100% of my Discover Weekly playlists are rap songs. I wouldn't mind a little hardcore or thrash thrown in the mix, though.

They seem to update every Monday. This week's playlist had Tela's "Sho Nugg" (actually titled "Sho Nuff" on the CD, but someone messed up when uploading it, I guess) and since I have maybe only heard one or two Tela songs in my life, I had no idea that this specific song has the same damn beat as Gangsta Boo's "Where Dem Dollas At" minus some synth lines that make the Tela song the better beat.

Just random finds like that have me happy for a new curated playlist every week.

I've never signed up for Pandora, but I used to drive around a homie that would constantly play the same station, the Jay Electronica station, in my car and I noticed they constantly play the same 20 or so artists.
Like, there was zero chances of hearing some dirty south raps on that station that wasn't Dungeon Family related, but this Spotify playlist is waaay better and more well rounded. I get some hyphy tracks on there every once in a while, which is cool because I'm pretty oblivious to most things west coast hip hop from the last 10 years.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

That Tela album is a classic. You need to own it.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Hush

Post by Hush »

sleazy_j wrote:the Discover Weekly playlists have been pretty awesome to me lately.

I don't solely listen to rap on Spotify, but over the last few months raps have been heaviest of reasons to use it, which might be why 100% of my Discover Weekly playlists are rap songs. I wouldn't mind a little hardcore or thrash thrown in the mix, though.

They seem to update every Monday. This week's playlist had Tela's "Sho Nugg" (actually titled "Sho Nuff" on the CD, but someone messed up when uploading it, I guess) and since I have maybe only heard one or two Tela songs in my life, I had no idea that this specific song has the same damn beat as Gangsta Boo's "Where Dem Dollas At" minus some synth lines that make the Tela song the better beat.

Just random finds like that have me happy for a new curated playlist every week.

I've never signed up for Pandora, but I used to drive around a homie that would constantly play the same station, the Jay Electronica station, in my car and I noticed they constantly play the same 20 or so artists.
Like, there was zero chances of hearing some dirty south raps on that station that wasn't Dungeon Family related, but this Spotify playlist is waaay better and more well rounded. I get some hyphy tracks on there every once in a while, which is cool because I'm pretty oblivious to most things west coast hip hop from the last 10 years.
Agreed. The 'Discover Weekly' playlist has been pretty spot-on for me as well. It does a great job of giving you songs to fill in the gaps in your collection (songs you may already be familiar with, but don't have saved or in any of your playlists) as well as random finds you'll probably dig.

There's been many times where a song will pop up and I'll be like "oh yeah, I forgot about this song" and add it to an appropriate playlist in my collection. The stuff I'm not already familiar with has been pretty great as well.

I look forward to it every Monday.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Check out Q-Tip on Spotify, he has some nice playlists up spanning various musical genres sampled for Tribe's music.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

here's some ill shit i just found out about.

theres this app for Mac OS and iPhones that is called Unision that is a cross platform music player
that uses Soundcloud, iTunes, Spotify and YouTube.

you can make playlists that combine soundcloud tracks, youtube tracks, your phone's or mac's itunes library, and spotify tracks.

it has a few bugs, like it won't play a rare El-P track i purchased off iTunes back in 2007, but hell you can't even find that on the iTunes store nowadays anyhow.

i was on reddit a few days ago (imagine that) and some dude was talking about Tomahawk, a similar app that I tried before but didn't like.
one of the people involved in this Unision app saw my comment and out of nowhere he PM'd me about this app. I've been dropping him notes and criticism, and he's cool with that. (there was also that Jim Jones track in the picture that I couldn't get to load from Spotify's servers).

oh and youtube songs / videos = background play. turn the iphone off and they still play.

you can listen to your spotify and soundcloud playlists since it connects to their accounts, too.

i wish they had google music library integration and bandcamp and some other shit, but this is a good start anyhow.

http://unisionplayer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

@sleazy_j, check out Minilogs.com also for integration of multiple streaming sites, they allow you to compile all of the above + Bandcamp. I don't recommend their iOS app because it's bugged but I really enjoy the desktop version of the site.