Who do you miss the most?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Which of the following deceased rappers do you miss the most?

Heavy D
No votes
Big Pun
23%
Guru
5%
Big L
21%
Mac Dre
2%
Eazy-E
11%
ODB
15%
Pimp C
16%
Eyedea
8%

Total votes: 62

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Who do you miss the most?

Post by Philaflava »

Which of the following deceased rappers do you miss the most?

KhillA

Re: Who do you miss the most?

Post by KhillA »

Voted Pimp C bc he's my fav off this list but I gotta soft spot for eyedea bc I got to chop it up with him once and he was highly entertaining.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

I voted Big L. I can only imagine what he could have done during the dipset movement. Life aint fair. :sad:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

As a rapper Big L but as a human to observe, ODB. Voted ODB.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Blockhead wrote:As a rapper Big L but as a human to observe, ODB. Voted ODB.
I know what you mean, but ODB wasn't the same guy once he went to jail and got released. He was bloated and depressed. Not really fun at all.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
I know what you mean, but ODB wasn't the same guy once he went to jail and got released. He was bloated and depressed. Not really fun at all.
He did die by having a bag of coke explode in his stomach, so let's not completely rule him out. Also, with Big L it is really a coin toss whether he woulda been able to conform to the dipset pink era or if he woulda gone the way of McGruff or worse, Mase, imho.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

KhillA wrote:
He did die by having a bag of coke explode in his stomach, so let's not completely rule him out. Also, with Big L it is really a coin toss whether he woulda been able to conform to the dipset pink era or if he woulda gone the way of McGruff or worse, Mase, imho.
Mase got run out of harlem and became a preacher in Atlanta, so that situation doesn't apply to Big L at all. I think we can safely rule that out altogether.

McGruff appeared on a number of dipset tracks, but obviously I was hypothetically hoping Big L would have been more of a core member of dipset rather than a fledgling affiliate....

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Mac Dre easily. Then Pinp C

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

KhillA wrote:
Mase got run out of harlem and became a preacher in Atlanta, so that situation doesn't apply to Big L at all. I think we can safely rule that out altogether.

McGruff appeared on a number of dipset tracks, but obviously I was hypothetically hoping Big L would have been more of a core member of dipset rather than a fledgling affiliate....
Ok, fair enough about Mase, that was an oddball case altogether. But Big L was as big or bigger than Cam so it's hard to conceive him joining dipset. What is more likely is him popping off with his NFL crew and then who knows what coulda been. Two top notch crews out of Harlem in the same era tho? Unlikely. I hypothesize that if Big L hadn't died that there would not have been a dipset as we know/knew it.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Big L's death paved the way for ack to rock colorful jorts with matching flat brimmed new eras? :killacam:

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Pimp C with ease.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

I can't help but get down get down with the Gangstarr Foundation, just as a matter of principle. ODB was a slobbery drunk on the mic, but likeable none the less. Pun was nice but unproven. GURU was a part of classic records - 3, arguably 4, of which I really like and still play. Never been a UGK guy so I can't speak on Pimp C, although I've always really liked his hats.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Hold up. What happened to Guru? Is he ok?

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

blastmaster wrote:Pimp C with ease.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

KhillA wrote:Hold up. What happened to Guru? Is he ok?
You really don''t want to know....

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

KhillA wrote:Hold up. What happened to Guru? Is he ok?
You really don''t want to know....
I know and I know :lol:

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Big Pun.

Hard to say I miss him though because I only started listening to him around the time he died.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

pun. pimp followed closely behind.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I think Guru if only for what could have been with Gang Starr and a possibly reunion album. They made their best work together and I'm sure they would have recorded together again.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Echo Leader wrote:
blastmaster wrote:Pimp C with ease.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Philaflava wrote:I think Guru if only for what could have been with Gang Starr and a possibly reunion album. They made their best work together and I'm sure they would have recorded together again.
really? didn't guru literally die cursing dj premier? by the way what the hell ever happened between them. dj premier seemed like he was less salty / antagonistic during the entire beef.

also ... no love for eazy e? think about how differently the whole east coast vs west coast beef would have played out with him in the presence.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I love Eazy but he was a puppet. Without dre's beats and cube/ren writing his raps, he simply wasn't in the same league as most of these dudes.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

write in vote for Uncle Charles

somebody had to make this dumb joke, it's like i dont' even know you people any more
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Blockhead wrote:I love Eazy but he was a puppet. Without dre's beats and cube/ren writing his raps, he simply wasn't in the same league as most of these dudes.
Eazy's solo albums post Eazy Duz It were pretty damn good tho, esp 187um killa. I liked the chemistry he had going with dresta and BG Knocc Out in the later years, would have liked to have seen a group album from those three...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^Eh, they were okay. Definitely not fucking with his NWA era shit. he was still a puppet. Dude was a great character with a great voice.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ChaMerZ wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I think Guru if only for what could have been with Gang Starr and a possibly reunion album. They made their best work together and I'm sure they would have recorded together again.
really? didn't guru literally die cursing dj premier? by the way what the hell ever happened between them. dj premier seemed like he was less salty / antagonistic during the entire beef.

also ... no love for eazy e? think about how differently the whole east coast vs west coast beef would have played out with him in the presence.

They weren't on good terms when he passed but overtime, they would have definitely reunited. His people were not happy with Solar and it was only amount of time before he cut ties with him.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Eazys solo albums were hit and miss. And they hold very little replay value. Real mfn Gz (one of the better tracks, imo) came on shuffle th other day and I really started wondering why I was so into Eazy back in the day.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

drizzle wrote:write in vote for Uncle Charles

somebody had to make this dumb joke, it's like i dont' even know you people any more
Ayo drizzdawg, fwiw, I had this on deck and if it were P&B I woulda pulled the trigger without thinking twice but we gotta show a little self restraint in M2C, imho.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:

They weren't on good terms when he passed but overtime, they would have definitely reunited. His people were not happy with Solar and it was only amount of time before he cut ties with him.
Well lets be real, the solar situation was incredibly odd. There's been accusations ranging from solar had guru under mind control on some cult leader shit all the way to that they were homos together. My point is, I don't think any of us can predict how that situation would have played out...