Shots Fired: "Drake Don't Write His Own Raps!" - Meek Mill

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

CarlosDelgothoes

Re: Shots Fired: "Drake Don't Write His Own Raps!" - Meek Mi

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

starks wrote:lmao at Jazz Cartier. blog post rap.
Tory Lanez is Tyga without the Kardashian cosign.
starks wrote:i guess Tory selling out the Hoxton in Dec and literally walking on the crowd's hands isn't good evidence
mmm, tell me more about that - http://www.thephoenixconcerttheatre.com ... -sold-out/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and that's an actual 1,300 capacity venue, not some shitty 100 person nightclub that you get into for free when you buy a drink coupon lmao

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Escobar305 wrote:

spooky

mindbender, do you ghostwrite for drake on the low? :lol:

thats the only way I see you defending this :lol:
lol you're so fucking stupid, what does he have to defend here? you posted an interview that makes OVO look way more organized than your beloved MMG, then some random freestyle
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

lol at canadians arguing about which canadian is the lamest as if it's not a trick question that's always answered with 'all of the above'
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

CarlosDelgothoes wrote:
starks wrote:lmao at Jazz Cartier. blog post rap.
Tory Lanez is Tyga without the Kardashian cosign.
starks wrote:i guess Tory selling out the Hoxton in Dec and literally walking on the crowd's hands isn't good evidence
mmm, tell me more about that - http://www.thephoenixconcerttheatre.com ... -sold-out/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and that's an actual 1,300 capacity venue, not some shitty 100 person nightclub that you get into for free when you buy a drink coupon lmao
EGGGG ZACK LEEE :hooray: :copy: :rofl:

all the truth. Tory Lanez & Tyga are totally the same type of watered-down B-grade superstar brand. I question the essence of people who are fulfilled by their pseudo-music. But meh.

they moved Jazz Cartier's show from the Mod Club to the Phoenix cause it needed more capacity. I am happy for both of them succeeding and expanding Toronto's fame, but Jazz Cartier is more original than Tory Lanez.
Escobar305 wrote:

spooky

mindbender, do you ghostwrite for drake on the low? :lol:

thats the only way I see you defending this :lol:
No I don't ghostwrite for Drake yet :rofl:

I can't see the video for some reason

KANYESHRUG
starks wrote:
CarlosDelgothoes wrote:
starks wrote:
CarlosDelgothoes wrote:Tory Lanez is garbage and Meek is obsessed with him

nobody in Toronto even likes that dude. :lol:
this city loves Tory... do u live here?
No they fucking don't. Jazz Cartier has a WAY bigger buzz over his music and he's done much less.

Lanez has a better PR. That's it. Nobody gives a fuck about J Diggz mark 2.
lmao at Jazz Cartier. blog post rap.

i guess Tory selling out the Hoxton in Dec and literally walking on the crowd's hands isn't good evidence
:rofl: I am not saying Tory Lanez is not successful. I'm saying he's a Drake clone. And if he wasn't that, he wouldn't be half as successful. There's LOTS of evidence of him being a Drake biter, that's why I don't fuck with him. How you gonna try get more attention by starting beef with the guy whose style you totally stole? :naswtf:

and LOL. The Hoxton isn't that big of a venue. It's the smallest of the new school popular Toronto clubs. Selling it out is cool, but that's not like selling out Mod Club, Sound Academy, or the damn Amphitheater.
Yo, Tory is doing his thing right now and that's nice... but I ain't buying into it.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

can we take a minute to appreciate how much of a power move this is?

kanye is floundering. can't even decide on an album title. he's been working with a bunch of artists so it can't be as much of a disaster as yeezus. but he couldn't even set the campaign off without getting publicly clowned by an ex stripper. jay is RIP. now the pressure's on kendrick to step up. anything he drops is now gonna be in that shadow.

summer sixteen belongs to drizzy.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Majid Jordan talking about how they wrote Hold On and how Drake has people camped out in tents making songs for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI5sqqb ... u.be&t=253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ya boy is basically the male Brittney Spears

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

this is truly heartbreaking. "hold onnnnn we're goin home" is that certified banger that brought me round to ya boy. after such an emotionally volatile revelation i'd usually cuddle up in foetal position and listen to "hold on we're goin home" but now i don't know what to do.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

drizzle wrote:Majid Jordan talking about how they wrote Hold On and how Drake has people camped out in tents making songs for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI5sqqb ... u.be&t=253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ya boy is basically the male Brittney Spears

:cheers: I posted this earlier and a fruitcake on here called it "being organized." :lol: :lol:

6 fraud :bunk: :fail:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

:rofl:

Kanye don't bang out on the MPC pads no more. He makes songs by committee. Nuff of these guys collaborate crazy now. OVO got 3 guys making one beat these days, like Boi-1da on the drums, 40 Shebib on the keys and Frank Dukez on the bassline.

KANYESHRUG if Drake don't write anymore. When you're that big of a superstar, you can have other stuff on your mind besides "bars" :rofl:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

dre does it it's cool, ye does it it's cool, drizzy does it and all of a sudden it's a problem. seems like he's made an effort since then to write more, probably why "what a time to be alive" has those weak punchlines.
1. Nas
2. Drake

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

LOLOL the amount of pleas Drake fans will cop on his behalf is hilarious. Bitchass artists beget bitchass fans I suppose.

Nobody ever put Kanye or Dre on a sprite can for being a lyricist, alongside Rakim, Big and Nas. Nobody expects them to rap well, they were both producers first and built careers of stylistic innovation. Drake on the other hand is often touted as the best rapper of his generation... outside of those numerous times when it becomes such a hugely untenable lie that even his biggest fans start twisting elaborate excuses about what a big artist does and doesn't do.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

You can tell Drake wrote his earlier bars cos they had personality, terrible personality. The newer ones are usually one size fits all whatever shit

respected rappers rumoured to have ghostwriters at some point:

Run DMC
Snoop
Ghostface
Biggie
Jay
Nas

its especially funny when they wrote for other ppl. Theres only a handful you can be 100% certain with imo cos they just seem impossible to write for, like Eminem, E-40 & LL fell off to varying degrees but they definitely still rap like Eminem E-40 & LL

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

idk if it was cool w Dre & Ye either, with Dre it was controversial ppl just got used to it with time and never forget bols ban Kanye from the grammys campaign. its not black & white like

smh howd I forget Wayne and Willie Da Squid

step one

Post by step one »

Larry2times wrote:idk if it was cool w Dre & Ye either, with Dre it was controversial ppl just got used to it with time
Dre had other people writing his raps from day one. I dont remember it ever being controversial.

Drake is terrible with or without ghostwriters so it doesnt really matter what happened.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Lotta names popping up. I'm getting the feeling that some posters don't have the stomach to see how the sausage is made. Nah of course, the young boy is a fraud but ur fav rapper is bonafide.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

lmao @ nas big and jay using ghostwriters. you know damn well you dont believe that bullshit :bunk:

meek exposed 6fraud for biting flows with actual reference tracks. show me a nas reference track :lol: I'll wait.....

fuck a blog dawg

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

behind all this is a medieval conception of how writing works. you can write for yourself, and others, and then turn around and spit a few bars your homie said. most rappers have done all three of those things, but most don't give writing credits in the liner notes.

"life's a bitch but god forbid the bitch divorce me/
i stay flooded with ice to hellfire can't scorch me"

mega gave nas this line for affirmative action, and later spent his entire career dropping "life's a bitch..." punchlines in an attempt to outdo it. this when nas was in his self-attested prime as a writer. they're in the studio together and you go off that energy, whether it's the firm, or dead prez on "sly fox", jay elec on "queens get the money".

people even had a problem with jay saying big lines to the point where he addressed it. remind me, how successful was cam at making that a big deal?
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i'm big enough to do it, i'm that thorough.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Lmao, so mega wrote illmatic for nas from a jail cell :bunk: FOH

Try again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

I prefer rappers write their own shit. I really do.

But I been a fan of Andre Young since fucking 1988. I been knowing Dre ain't write his own raps since the summer I jammed to 'Deep Cover' and 'Nuthin But a G Thang' on The Chronic. I still loved Dr. Dre, even though I know he was not penning it. KANYESHRUG

Most rappers write their shit and did back in the 90s. Will Smith was probably one of the first big artists to use ghostwriters. Oh and of course Puff Diddy :rofl: SO WHAT. Fake rappers been called real and real rappers been called fake. People actually fucking believed Prodigy wore a pink ballerina tutu on the Summerjam screen :roll: people are stupid about things they should be smarter about

the final result of the song is what matters most. I loved Lil Kim since Hardcore whether or not Biggie Smalls wrote it or half of it or none of it, same with Foxy Brown, she's bomb, even though I know Shyne wrote lots of 'Broken Silence' and Jay-Z wrote X amount of 'Ill Na Na'.

these days, there's SO MUCH MORE collaboration cause of the internet. that's how it has gone, due to technology. i don't give a fuck about defending people who do or don't write & spit their own rhymes.

Drake wrote for Lil Wayne and Dr. Dre. Those are paying ghostwriter dues if there ever was :rofl: If he chooses someone to write for him, that's his choice. Is the song as good as 'Congradulations' or not is all I give a fuck about. KANYESHRUGGGGGGGGGGGG

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Jazz Cartier's album is pretty good.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

drizzle wrote:LOLOL the amount of pleas Drake fans will cop on his behalf is hilarious. Bitchass artists beget bitchass fans I suppose.

Nobody ever put Kanye or Dre on a sprite can for being a lyricist, alongside Rakim, Big and Nas. Nobody expects them to rap well, they were both producers first and built careers of stylistic innovation. Drake on the other hand is often touted as the best rapper of his generation... outside of those numerous times when it becomes such a hugely untenable lie that even his biggest fans start twisting elaborate excuses about what a big artist does and doesn't do.
I'm by no means a Drake fan - I've never listened to any of his albums more than once or twice - and when you say shit like 'people cop pleas' you come across as weirdly out of touch and hateristic when you talk about dude. No one who listens to hip hop more than tangentially seriously posits Drake as one of the best rappers alive, but you seem to think that happens because of a sprite ad? Drake is a giant pop star, and it shouldn't really be shocking that his music is incredibly calculated. Comparing him to Britney Spears is accurate and pretty much inevitable for any artist beyond a certain level of success, but who gives a shit? This shit has been happening since Rappers Delight and will continue until the end of time. Demanding artists meet some intangible level of 'authenticity' is the most Wick-Wick shit on the planet.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

ANU

Post by ANU »

drake is the will smith of this decade.

thatkidnero

Post by thatkidnero »

I think a lot of drake hate is that some people don't consider him black enough and it makes them uncomfortable, like why does this corny jewish canadian get a pass and get to be down and they don't?

Also arguing about who bites drake less between tory and jazz is crazy. Both of those guys try their hardest at making drake songs.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

thatkidnero wrote:I think a lot of drake hate is that some people don't consider him black enough and it makes them uncomfortable, like why does this corny jewish canadian get a pass and get to be down and they don't?

Also arguing about who bites drake less between tory and jazz is crazy. Both of those guys try their hardest at making drake songs.
TRUTH BOMBS: DROPPED :copy:

nuff people are silently angry on some "oh he got on with some light skinnded privilege shit AW FUCK THAT TEENY BOPPER TV DOOD" as if Drake didn't fucking run the last 5 years of rap and ACTUALLY become the new Jay-Z for real though.

and word up. Some people were saying "Tory Lanez gotta be a threat if Drake's taking shots at him!" But I'm more like "nah, Drake just gave him a little attention because he needs targets to shoot at like 50 Cent making 'Piggy Bank'." One of those songs where he's like "I'ma take shots at multiple fools and just get the streets talking." Having people buzz about Drizzy mentioning Obama, Kendrick, saying Chris Brown's name alone, and vaguely aiming at Lanez is just what he wanted to do.

'Summer Sixteen' still isn't that great compared to other Drake songs, but it's okay and at least got the Views ball rolling
don't think I want to hear 'Summer16' on the album tho.... KANYESHRUG :omar:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

thatkidnero wrote:I think a lot of drake hate is that some people don't consider him black enough and it makes them uncomfortable, like why does this corny jewish canadian get a pass and get to be down and they don't?
You're a really stupid mother fucker.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:

nuff people are silently angry on some "oh he got on with some light skinnded privilege shit AW FUCK THAT TEENY BOPPER TV DOOD" as if Drake didn't fucking run the last 5 years of rap and ACTUALLY become the new Jay-Z for real though.

and word up. Some people were saying "Tory Lanez gotta be a threat if Drake's taking shots at him!" But I'm more like "nah, Drake just gave him a little attention because he needs targets to shoot at like 50 Cent making 'Piggy Bank'." One of those songs where he's like "I'ma take shots at multiple fools and just get the streets talking." Having people buzz about Drizzy mentioning Obama, Kendrick, saying Chris Brown's name alone, and vaguely aiming at Lanez is just what he wanted to do.

'Summer Sixteen' still isn't that great compared to other Drake songs, but it's okay and at least got the Views ball rolling
If you don't write your own shit, you're not a rapper. I don't care if we're talking about Kane, Kanye, Killah Priest, or a guy from Canada who can rap and menstruate.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Employee wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:

If you don't write your own shit, you're not a rapper. I don't care if we're talking about Kane, Kanye, Killah Priest, or a guy from Canada who can rap and menstruate.
yeah. I agree.

I remember when being responsible for writing the verse mattered all the way. Hip hop came from a serious tradition of author authenticity and genuine observation. I respect this tradition and admire this tradition.

But, may I illustrate a parallel (that is very apt for a YOTMB): there are women in porn that have natural bodies, and there are women with surgery enhanced features. Some women have "fake" bodies, others have "real" bodies. Some people don't like girls with silicone breasts, others do. At the end of the day, breasts will find hands to touch them if they want. They are still real things, even if they are fake things. :lol:

Puff Daddy recorded that song "The Future", CLEARLY written by Pharaohe Monch. Some people like this song, some don't. I like it (but the hook sucks).

Hip hop DID grow up though. I don't know who is the first to cross the threshold, but there is a difference between a rapper and an MC, and masters of ceremony usually write what they are saying. But hip hop has surely shared enough musical DNA and trials through fire to have come of age and take its place in the realm of possibility to be produced like any other genre of music, where there is a singer and there is a songwriter, and these two things may NOT necessarily be the same thing.

As soon as hip hop really became POP music, why should it not be able to be manifested how pop music is if it wants? KANYESHRUG :cas:

AND WHY THE FUCK YOU THINK I NEVER STOPPED SAYING RAP IS OUTTA CONTROL :rofl: :ignore:

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I still listen to Eazy E more than Ice Cube even though Cube has more classic albums.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

King Kunta wrote: And the world don't respect you and the culture don't accept you
But you think it's all love
And the girls gon' neglect you once your parody is done
Reputation can't protect you if you never had one
:copy: :copy: :copy: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: