Dr Dre "Compton" album? aug 7th

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Freezy Pazzy

Re: Dr Dre "Compton" album? aug 7th

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

Neuro wrote:chronic and 2001 have the definitive dr dre style, this does not
I strongly disagree. Dre's the kind of guy to have recorded a trillion solo songs in his lifetime, how many of these did we get a chance to hear? Not even a hundred. "Compton" is just the latest phase on his musical path, and it's fuckin' brilliant. This doesn't sound like "The chronic" or "2001" (even though you can pinpoint some similarities if you really pay attention), but that's a very good thing. Ain't nothing worse than artists making the same records for their whole career. The guy just reminded us there are tons of employees but only one boss. Hats down.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Dre doing kendrick doesn't work, and king mez is wack. Unfortunately this is the core of the album. The tracks with anderson paak come out real nice, thinking back to work + animals. The all star guests pretty much all did their job, game actually the best imo.

@freezy i like the beats too but you gotta admit, when talking to my diary comes on you're like oh..... there's dre
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

The sibilance is out of fucking control. There's literally whistling in my headphones.

I think the album is pretty okay, good even. But it's also the perfect example of why ghostwriting is fucking wack and harmful to the art. On first listen, I didn't realize it was Dre rapping until half way through some songs and I didn't even know that was Snoop Dogg until I looked at the credits to confirm. If the writing renders two of the most distinctive rappers of all time unrecognizable, then it's being done all wrong.

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:@freezy i like the beats too but you gotta admit, when talking to my diary comes on you're like oh..... there's dre
Honestly, when "Talking to my diary" came on, I was like "OK, I just heard one of the best pieces of music I've heard in my life" lol. I can totally understand what bothered you though, but it's not a weak point to me.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^word to ivy league. I want a dre/kdot collab to sound more like the remedy.

@freezy yeah it's one of my faves. What i mean is it's the only distinctively dre sounding beat, and i wanna hear more of that.
1. Nas
2. Drake

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

I was talking about Snoop on the Jon Conor song, by the way. He sounds like himself on Satisfiction.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i don't think dre has ever really had a definitive style. he's most known for the chronic since that was his peak era, but his roadium swap meet mixtapes don't sound like the d.o.c's album or doggystyle or 2001. or turn off the lights.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

he's switched it up a bunch of times over the course of his career. the style i'm thinking of is the chron2001 - 2014 style. the loosies that came out since then wouldn't feel out of place on there, and that 2009 detox leak is very much in the same vein. that was dre's style for a decade+
1. Nas
2. Drake

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.thewrap.com/lapd-steps-up-se ... a-compton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LAPD Steps Up Security at Premiere of N.W.A. Biopic ‘Straight Outta Compton’

Metal detectors and members of the Gang Enforcement Detail deployed for red-carpet screening of film about Ice Cube and Dr. Dre’s gangsta rap group

The Los Angeles Police Department rolled out additional units Monday for the premiere of “Straight Outta Compton” as the stars hit the red carpet at L.A. Live.

The stepped-up police presence included special events officers from the LAPD’s Central Bureau, as well as members of the department’s Gang Enforcement Detail, Officer Mike Lopez told TheWrap.

“We will have plenty of resources and officers there in case of any emergency,” Lopez said. “We wish that everybody enjoys the premiere and has a safe evening.”

A Wrap reporter attended the event in downtown L.A., and also noted that there were additional officers on the scene and guests had to pass through metal detectors to enter the theater — which isn’t always the case at Hollywood premieres.

The Universal Pictures release traces the origins of N.W.A. (an acronym for Niggaz Wit Attitudes) — the gangsta rap group Ice Cube co-founded in Compton, California, in 1987 along with original members Dr. Dre, DJ Yella, Arabian Prince and Eazy-E, who died in 1995.

Ice Cube, who produced the movie, recently told TheWrap that it took years to get the project off the ground.

“It was one of the hardest movies I ever had to get made. It’s been a four-year process and that’s just actual process,” he said. “But as the dream, it goes back almost 10 years.”

N.W.A. sold millions of records and helped put West Coast rap on the map. But its members also sparked controversy for their explicit lyrics and eyebrow-raising singles such as “Fu*k tha Police,” which drew condemnation from law enforcement agencies.

“Straight Outta Compton” arrives in theaters on Friday.

L.A. Weekly was the first to report the news of the increased police presence at the premiere.

Universal Pictures did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

pretty good album to be honest, lot's of interesting stuff. I have to say that the music during Cold 187um's verse amazing and what I always imagined Detox would sound like.

perlman

Post by perlman »

Why did School Boy Q say Detox was like a mix away?
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

possibly because schoolboy q is kinda wacked out of his gourd on drugs but it might've been true too. Dre said he scrapped it after it was nearly done or something like that because he didn't like how it came out
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

shots at drizzy all over this
But let’s put Dre’s grandiose adieu on ice for a second and focus on his auspicious protégé, Kendrick Lamar, who features on three tracks on Compton, because on two of them—“Darkside / Gone” and “Deepwater”—there are lines some people have interpreted as subliminal disses toward Canada’s most sweltering hip-hop property, Drizzy Drake.

Here they are:

“Darkside / Gone”: “Got enemies giving me energy I wanna fight now/ Subliminally sent to me all of this hate / I thought I was holding the mic down".

“Deepwater”: “Motherfucker know I started from the bottom"

"They liable to bury him, they nominated six to carry him / They worrying him to death, but he's no vegetarian / The beef is on his breath, inheriting the drama better than / A great white, nigga, this is life in my aquarium"
:ohsh: :gyeah:
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/history-of- ... -beef-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

track 2 should not be on the album, and MOST DEF not start the album, GENOCIDE should have started it.period. MAYBE track 2 should have ended it actualllly, or just not be on the album.

the album is growing on me though, and it is pretty much a west coast present day compilation , maybe so much south mainstream clouded my judgement and i forgot what westcoast is, what a weird world, i never thought id believe that

why cant rap , all the rap us rap fans love, be all in together, in the mainstream!

the internet is helping us slowly

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

every single track of genocide on youtube is fake or blank, aint no sharing that shit

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i also believe this album wont leave a huge mark like 2001 did

2001 is that good shit all the way through without even trying to defend anything

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

the chronic and , dre 2001, were definitive because they just were, we all have our memories listening to that shit and being wowed all the way through

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

maybe i should consider this as nwa inspired? being a "soundtrack" and all? instead of straight up dre?

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

snoop sounds hungry as fuck again on one shot one kill, even if its that one short verse, even if its ghostwritten, i havent heard that energy from snoop in a long time unless i missed something

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

Neuro wrote:the chronic and , dre 2001, were definitive because they just were, we all have our memories listening to that shit and being wowed all the way through
If you remember what happened when both of these records dropped, they weren't much celebrated or considered as instant classics. It took a while. I can see the exact same thing happening to "Compton", which is technically his more advanced album. The kind of record that challenges listeners, it doesn't come very often.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Neuro wrote:the chronic and , dre 2001, were definitive because they just were, we all have our memories listening to that shit and being wowed all the way through
If you remember what happened when both of these records dropped, they weren't much celebrated or considered as instant classics.
wtf are you talking about?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i dont recall that

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

he's completely wrong.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

the movie was pretty good. so much happened in the decade that it spans that it sort of fits too much in two and half hours imo
i would've actually preferred a movie focused just on eazy-e's story. it was cool to hear all of the songs in a movie theatre

someone who doesn't know a lot about NWA's story would prob get the most out of the movie

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

if rappinstine isn't in it, i don't even want to see it :sad:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

- Eazy-E
- Dr. Dre
- Ice Cube
- MC Ren
- DJ Yella
- DJ Alonzo Williams (World Class Wreckin' Cru)
- Sir Jinx
- The D.O.C.
- Jerry Heller
- Suge Knight
- 2Pac
- Jimmy Iovine
- Warren G
- Snoop Doggy Dogg
- Bryan Turner (Priority Records)

i may be forgetting a couple of people but those are most of the people who have speaking parts.
other artists show up or get mentioned but don't say anything

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

is that a spoiler? i dunno if anyone cares because i'm sure we all know the story already

step one

Post by step one »

Freezy Pazzy wrote:
If you remember what happened when both of these records dropped, they weren't much celebrated or considered as instant classics.
Dumbest post of the year?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Interesting that Dre was at one point working with Chili Chil on Detox and now he had this Paak dude, who sounds just like him all over this shit. I would love to hear what he did with Chili.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

step one wrote:
Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Dumbest post of the year?
Yeah, that guy is all types of stupid. Impressively stupid.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.