Dr Dre "Compton" album? aug 7th

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Echo Leader

Re: Dr Dre "Compton" album? aug 7th

Post by Echo Leader »

blastmaster wrote:Interesting that Dre was at one point working with Chili Chil on Detox and now he had this Paak dude, who sounds just like him all over this shit. I would love to hear what he did with Chili.
Is that dude still making music? The last I heard from him was the Cold World tape, I think. Really dug that.

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

Cleanhobo wrote:
step one wrote:
Freezy Pazzy wrote:
If you remember what happened when both of these records dropped, they weren't much celebrated or considered as instant classics.
Dumbest post of the year?
Yeah, that guy is all types of stupid. Impressively stupid.
Were you around when "The chronic" dropped? Even The Source had to correct their review a few years after because they admitted they fucked up & gave it a bad rating.
Snoop's buzz in '93 was bigger than Dre's in '92, lots of people doubted his ability to run a decent solo career once he left NWA and Ruthless.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
step one wrote:
Freezy Pazzy wrote:
If you remember what happened when both of these records dropped, they weren't much celebrated or considered as instant classics.
Were you around when "The chronic" dropped? Even The Source had to correct their review a few years after because they admitted they fucked up & gave it a bad rating.
Snoop's buzz in '93 was bigger than Dre's in '92, lots of people doubted his ability to run a decent solo career once he left NWA and Ruthless.
If I recall correctly, The Source's correction was going from 4 1/2 mics to 5 mics as the original review just really didn't like "Lil Ghetto Boy" for some reason and singled it out.

2001 was rightly heralded as an absolute classic from the jump. And Snoop's buzz in '93 was because of Dre's buzz in '92. There's a certain buzz a debuting artist can get that an established artist cannot just because it's expected for them to be great, rather than "let's see what this new up-and-comer can do." Dre wasn't even expected to release an album in '93, so I'm lost as what point you're trying to make here.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

lil ghetto boy is my fav song
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i remember the chronic dropping and people loving it. i had heard g thang but hadnt heard the cd until one of my cousin's friends was all "check this funny stuff out" and played us the deez nuts skit from "this cd my sister has".

back then, i never even heard of "the source". all my rap info was from yo mtv raps and rap city. then again i lived in the deep south.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
step one wrote:
Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Though I thought this was initially impossible, this post makes you look even dumber. Just stop.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

dude the chronic was so huge by 93 that when I came to the US that year I knew absolutely nothing about american rap culture but I still knew to order that album from columbia house when my dad got duped into signing up for it. the videos for the singles were on tv constantly. snoop was huge too, no doubt, but cmon now... it was clearly an event, not some under-appreciated shit that people didn't get up on until later
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

Chronic 2001 was definitely slept on. I mean it was only considered the sequel to one of the most influential records in hip-hop, and it only had the long awaited reunion of one of the most beloved duos, and it only featured the most talked about rapper on the planet right as he was reaching his apex.

But yeah, aside from that.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

while most of the beats are banging for what they are and flows go along, im realizing most
of the lyrics are about old fart westside gangters being rich and owning shit now

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

kendrick is the most relevant on the album

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

just read the source review out of curiosity. it was pretty easy to find through google
it got 4 1/2 mics. the final sentence in the review is the following:
The Source wrote:Overall, an innovative and progressive hip-hop package that must not be missed.
it's a positive review.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Echo Leader wrote:
blastmaster wrote:Interesting that Dre was at one point working with Chili Chil on Detox and now he had this Paak dude, who sounds just like him all over this shit. I would love to hear what he did with Chili.
Is that dude still making music? The last I heard from him was the Cold World tape, I think. Really dug that.

He fell off the face of the Earth shortly after the video of him working with Dre. Really strange. He hasn't done shit since Chase N Cashe and Hit Boy blew up and Surf Club stopped being a thing. At least Kent Money still puts out tapes.

step one

Post by step one »

Neuro wrote:kendrick is the most relevant on the album
What the fuck does that even mean?!
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i was drunk when i wrote that but i think what i meant at the time is it seemed out of all the old men spittin their ive been there and done that kind of raps, kendrick is right there killing it inspired by them but taking it to a new level for what these times of mainsteam music provides

Versive

Post by Versive »

A Better Tomorrow >

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i agree

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one

Post by step one »

^^ thats an old Nas verse badly blended over a beat that probably isn't by Dre
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one wrote:^^ thats an old Nas verse badly blended over a beat that probably isn't by Dre
I agree it's blended badly, but the beat is really a dre beat. It's a leak from the detox recording sessions.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

ackbar wrote:just read the source review out of curiosity. it was pretty easy to find through google
it got 4 1/2 mics. the final sentence in the review is the following:
The Source wrote:Overall, an innovative and progressive hip-hop package that must not be missed.
it's a positive review.

who is responsible for penning that review?

WHAT DOES NOZ THINK?

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

step one wrote:^^ thats an old Nas verse
Shootouts. What an odd acapella to pick.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

CarlosDelgothoes wrote:
step one wrote:^^ thats an old Nas verse
Shootouts. What an odd acapella to pick.
Req confirmed :ironmike:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

First Beard

Post by First Beard »

Neuro wrote:track 2 should not be on the album, and MOST DEF not start the album, GENOCIDE should have started it.period. MAYBE track 2 should have ended it actualllly, or just not be on the album.
I agree. Genocide should have lead it off. Track 2 has grown on me, but shouldn't have been batting lead off.

I am happy with this album overall. Very glad he made it happen. Ren is a glaring omission though.

For those bizarrely questioning Dre's "buzz" leading up to The Chronic - Deep Cover alone was the buzz. No clue where you were living back then, but that track was insanity when it dropped.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

First Beard wrote:
Neuro wrote:track 2 should not be on the album, and MOST DEF not start the album, GENOCIDE should have started it.period. MAYBE track 2 should have ended it actualllly, or just not be on the album.
I agree. Genocide should have lead it off. Track 2 has grown on me, but shouldn't have been batting lead off.

I am happy with this album overall. Very glad he made it happen. Ren is a glaring omission though.

For those bizarrely questioning Dre's "buzz" leading up to The Chronic - Deep Cover alone was the buzz. No clue where you were living back then, but that track was insanity when it dropped.
yeah I agree on the buzz for The Chronic the Source has never been a great barometer of how music in regions outside of NYC view music, even in the days when it was actually a creditable magazine. The Chronic was an instant classic on the West Coast, and while there may have been some questions around his ability to hold down a solo album without NWA members, those were immediately quashed on the West Coast upon it's release. Also I would say The Chronic didn't leave steady rotation for most rap fans on the West Coast until 2001 dropped. It had a mammoth run out west unlike anything I've ever seen before anywhere.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... it-hot-100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
N.W.A Takes Over Charts, Gets First Top 40 Hit on Hot 100

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i think dre wanted to show off his dudes he signed on the first song. it's a bold move to open the album with that loser king mes, exactly the kind of bold move that dre held off on for 16 years by constantly second-guessing himself.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

anybody still listening to this hypebeast?