Straight Out of Compton (Movie Discussion)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Straight Out of Compton (Movie Discussion)

Post by Philaflava »

It's too big to just go in CYE and it should be separate from Dre's album.

My 2. A pretty awesome movie that will be watched a bunch of times. You can tell Cube and Dre controlled a lot in the movie. Some minor gripes like seeing TV footage from 1994 used when it was suppose to be 1989 per the movie. I know this because Leaders of The New School "TIME" album was scene when the reporter in the music store was talking about "gangsta rap." The biggest gripe is that whole 2Pac bullshit. Eazy died in '95. Pac was still in jail and didn't join Death Row until Dec or Jan of 96. Yet in the movie he is seen doing "Hail Mary," a track recorded on his 2nd Death Row released and recorded in Aug 96, all of this way after he did All Eyes On Me. Yet, this was the first time he and Dre met and he played him Cali Love. I get they wanted to use 2Pac but their timeline was all fucked up. Sorry to get Wicked on ya'll but this was my main issue in what I thought was a fucking dope ass movie.

Jayou Ayen

Re: Straight Out of Compton (Movie Discussion)

Post by Jayou Ayen »

I was telling Smithee that this movie is the hip hop equivalent of Moneyball.
Both movies are entertaining, and while informative to the uninitiated, they are revisionist as fuck.

Ren & DOC were marginalized, so it's not surprising that they straight up denied the existence of Arabian Prince.
We get to see all their wives, but nothing about Ren being the main lyricist of the group after Cube left, or DOC's contributions to all three eras?
As you mentioned, the timelines were all fucked up, probably for the convenience of the screenplay.
I have a hard time believing that much in this movie is factual after Dre & Cube left. Especially all that hokey shit about everyone being excited for a reunion right before Eazy's diagnosis.
Cube Jr. did okay for his first time role, but he still sucked. Dude has no emotional range whatsoever.
And all the role players has so little to do, I think they would've been better off getting people who looked like them rather than "competent" actors. Was that supposed to be Warren G that introduces Snoop?
I felt that the actors who played Eazy & Yella did the best job at making them feel like actual people.

The Hail Mary scene was dumb, for the reasons you stated, and that they tried to combine it with the Sam Sneed beating, which happened much later and was instigated by Pac.
And Eazy didn't get beat down in that Suge ambush, his family was threatened, and he signed the papers.

But being a Bacon Bra breh, I can't get over how shitty the wardrobe dept did in this movie.
How can irrelevant fuckboys like Riff Raff have authentic vintage gear, but a Hollywood movie can't?
Eazy starts off in the movie in 1986 wearing a White Sox hat that didn't come out until 1991.
Dre wears LA Dodger hats (which Eazy mostly wore), until he leaves Death Row. In reality, he pretty much went Sox from the minute Deep Cover premiered.
Eazy is the only one shown wearing a Derby, even though they all wore them.
And just the overall lack of clothes being the proper cut for the era really bothered me. (self :roper: , I know)

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

2Pac being shoehorned into an NWA movie sounds corny as fuck.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Philaflava wrote:The biggest gripe is that whole 2Pac bullshit. Eazy died in '95. Pac was still in jail and didn't join Death Row until Dec or Jan of 96. Yet in the movie he is seen doing "Hail Mary," a track recorded on his 2nd Death Row released and recorded in Aug 96, all of this way after he did All Eyes On Me. Yet, this was the first time he and Dre met and he played him Cali Love. I get they wanted to use 2Pac but their timeline was all fucked up. Sorry to get Wicked on ya'll but this was my main issue in what I thought was a fucking dope ass movie.
Uhhhh, 2Pac was released from jail in October 1995. One of the very first songs he recorded was "California Love". Just sayin. I will say that when they cut to the 2Pac scene I did find it rather strange that he was in the booth recording Hail Mary, but hey, who knows, maybe he really did record it soon after being released from jail?

Anyways, the movie was great! I just found it strange that they totally passed over The D.O.C. album and they never got into the diss tracks "Dre Day" and "Real Muthafuckin G's". And man, not like I or anyone else didn't know, but Suge Knight is a fuckin piece of shit. I really hope that fucker stays in jail forever!!

Also, they actually did use 3 songs from the new Dr. Dre album in the movie. Or was it 2 songs? I forget.

**EDIT**

6 days after bein released from jail in October '95, 2Pac already had 14 songs recorded for Death Row!

- http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-tupac-qa-story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Eazy-E passed away in March '95.
Last edited by WiCkEd22 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

step one

Post by step one »

I'm guessing the fight at the NMS between Lench Mob and the Ruthless/Above The Law crew isnt included?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Gayou Ayen wrote:Ren & DOC were marginalized, so it's not surprising that they straight up denied the existence of Arabian Prince.
We get to see all their wives, but nothing about Ren being the main lyricist of the group after Cube left, or DOC's contributions to all three eras?
As you mentioned, the timelines were all fucked up, probably for the convenience of the screenplay.
I have a hard time believing that much in this movie is factual after Dre & Cube left. Especially all that hokey shit about everyone being excited for a reunion right before Eazy's diagnosis.
That's fucked up that there was no mention of Arabian Prince. smh

Cube's wife in the movie was pretty fuckin fly!

And yeah, how you not gonna mention all the ghostwriting that The D.O.C. did? smh

I thought they really did plan on gettin back together as N.W.A before Eazy-E passed??? *shrugs*

The fucked up timelines did annoy the shit out of me!! Oh well...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
Philaflava wrote:The biggest gripe is that whole 2Pac bullshit. Eazy died in '95. Pac was still in jail and didn't join Death Row until Dec or Jan of 96. Yet in the movie he is seen doing "Hail Mary," a track recorded on his 2nd Death Row released and recorded in Aug 96, all of this way after he did All Eyes On Me. Yet, this was the first time he and Dre met and he played him Cali Love. I get they wanted to use 2Pac but their timeline was all fucked up. Sorry to get Wicked on ya'll but this was my main issue in what I thought was a fucking dope ass movie.
Uhhhh, 2Pac was released from jail in October 1995. One of the very first songs he recorded was "California Love". Just sayin. I will say that when they cut to the 2Pac scene I did find it rather strange that he was in the booth recording Hail Mary, but hey, who knows, maybe he really did record it soon after being released from jail?

Anyways, the movie was great! I just found it strange that they totally passed over The D.O.C. album and they never got into the diss tracks "Dre Day" and "Real Muthafuckin G's". And man, not like I or anyone else didn't know, but Suge Knight is a fuckin piece of shit. I really hope that fucker stays in jail forever!!

Also, they actually did use 3 songs from the new Dr. Dre album in the movie. Or was it 2 songs? I forget.

**EDIT**

6 days after bein released from jail in October '95, 2Pac already had 14 songs recorded for Death Row!

- http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-tupac-qa-story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Eazy-E passed away in March '95.
You just proved my point. Eazy died before 2Pac even came out of jail. 2Pac came home to DR, remember Suge put up the bail. I know they recorded but Cali Love was one of the last things. Point is, they made that timeline with 2Pac happen way before Eazy died in the movie. Also, the choice of song (Hail Mary) was careless.

Pissed T Bone and J Dee got at least 5 mins of screen time and there was no sight of Daz, Kurupt or Nate Dogg.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Jayou the custom fitted hats with the MLB logos and the throwbacks you mentioned. All stood out. I don't even think MLB had those logos on their hats until years later. Nothing major, but I have to think finding vintage gear had to be possible. They should have hollered at the Jacka estate.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

step one wrote:I'm guessing the fight at the NMS between Lench Mob and the Ruthless/Above The Law crew isnt included?

That actually was. T-Bone was no joke.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Philaflava wrote: Pissed T Bone and J Dee got at least 5 mins of screen time and there was no sight of Daz, Kurupt or Nate Dogg.
none of these people mentioned are in N.W.A and really weren't in their circles when they were at their prime, anyhow.

i still think they should have gone the '8 Mile' timeline route (pre-stardom) and that would've been a better story, but nah they had to go all 'mainstream west coast rappers [and their affialiates] history up until someone major dies'.

(i still am debating on actually going to the theater to see this thing.)

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

sleazy_j wrote:
Philaflava wrote: Pissed T Bone and J Dee got at least 5 mins of screen time and there was no sight of Daz, Kurupt or Nate Dogg.
none of these people mentioned are in N.W.A and really weren't in their circles when they were at their prime, anyhow.

They spent a great deal of time on the Death Row era and you should definitely see it in the theater. The score was nice.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i'll probably just stick to what i remember from reading jerry heller's book back in 2006 and leave it at that. probably history revision, too, but that's all we'll ever get.

if the score is dope, hopefully we'll get an album release of the score, but i'm not holding my breath.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Read that book too. Thoroughly enjoyed it but Paul Giamatti kills it at Heller. You'd be missing out if you didn't catch this flick.

LONDON

Post by LONDON »

i'll check my chinese dvd connect for this, sounds like a good movie, notorius was a decent hip hop movie, nwa sounds like a good movie full stop
"get this money by all means necesssary"

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

notorious is like nastradamus to this illmatic.

LONDON

Post by LONDON »

Philaflava wrote:notorious is like nastradamus to this illmatic.
ha ha, seen, cool, its like that, this is a straight coppage, ha ha
"get this money by all means necesssary"

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

in my country movie is not in cinema , so im waiting for a good rip....

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

need to see this, but i'm not sure i will do so in the theatres. maybe i will wait for the rip. you guys kinda ruined it for me though with all the over-analysis and nit picking.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Notorious was rubbish

step one

Post by step one »

hellriser wrote:in my country movie is not in cinema , so im waiting for a good rip....
:bork:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

it was enjoyable but i doubt i will ever watch it again.
all of my favorite scenes were the ones involving music

i think it could've been a better movie with more of an "emotional core" if it focused only on eazy-e. i didn't want them to go in more detail about more people unlike some others in this thread. it already felt sort of like they tried to fit too much into the script

the scene where they listened to 'no vaseline' was great. the very last scene of the movie was terrible

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Yup! LOVED that scene in Hellers house where he starts throwing the ADL around while Yela is slobbing on Cube for making the greatest diss track ever.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

ChaMerZ wrote:need to see this, but i'm not sure i will do so in the theatres. maybe i will wait for the rip. you guys kinda ruined it for me though with all the over-analysis and nit picking.
Nobody ruined it for you.
I saw it with some of my cousins that are around your age. They loved it, as you should.
It's just a rated r Lifetime Channel movie, and it keeps you entertained.

The reason that's not enough for me, is because I was a huge NWA fan growing up. I don't think I've ever followed an artist or group like that since, even with the internet at my disposal.
I owned all the tapes, read the album credits, sat in the bookstore reading Rolling Stone, Spin, Word Up and any other magazine that featured them. I was there when NWA performed at the Oakland Arena and a riot broke out.
I remember how everyone was saying that Cube killed them with No Vaseline, even though they had actually self destructed months before with EFIL4ZAGGIN.

So the details matter, to me. If you're going to go to the trouble of hiring actors to portray Chuck D and the Bomb Squad, at least mention in passing that Cube got them to help with his debut, and that it was a huge co-sign.
No one can tell a true story as well as the people who lived it, but I guess they felt it needed to be spruced up.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

best part of Notorious was that the movie Lil Kim was hotter than the irl Lil Kim

also there was a random scene of Biggie sitting at a table that had two bongs and a live grenade on it

the rest was whatever
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

Jayou Ayen wrote:they had actually self destructed months before with EFIL4ZAGGIN.

EFIL debuted at 2 and hit #1. it was a huge, influential record and everybody was listening to it.

I went back and forth on it for years.
First hear: lyrics are too vile.
Soon after that: fuck the world i love this.
Most of my adult life: too vile, cheesy attempt at being shocking.
I've come around to thinking it's an absolute classic. It's the perfect album for its time. It is the soundtrack to the apocalypse. without trying to be that like method man or busta rhymes. it's total nihlistic content over music that was the perfect progression of where recorded music 1920-1990 had led it.
And I know i'm alone on this, but its my favorite dre production, all time. i think he peaked here and S.O.C. and The Chronic were also perfect and the perfect bridges to/from it.

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

also, my dream project would be to hear a version of death certificate over EFIL4ZAGGIN beats.
not that death certificate is lacking in any way, i just think it would be an awesome pairing.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

unbelievable dickhead wrote:also, my dream project would be to hear a version of death certificate over EFIL4ZAGGIN beats.
not that death certificate is lacking in any way, i just think it would be an awesome pairing.
That's interesting

My dream would be for Dre to release the songs that were made during any(?) of the recording sessions for the mythical dre/cube helter skelter collabo album

Natural born killers is a certified classic and I wanna hear more...

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:need to see this, but i'm not sure i will do so in the theatres. maybe i will wait for the rip. you guys kinda ruined it for me though with all the over-analysis and nit picking.
Nobody ruined it for you.
I saw it with some of my cousins that are around your age. They loved it, as you should.
It's just a rated r Lifetime Channel movie, and it keeps you entertained.

The reason that's not enough for me, is because I was a huge NWA fan growing up. I don't think I've ever followed an artist or group like that since, even with the internet at my disposal.
I owned all the tapes, read the album credits, sat in the bookstore reading Rolling Stone, Spin, Word Up and any other magazine that featured them. I was there when NWA performed at the Oakland Arena and a riot broke out.
I remember how everyone was saying that Cube killed them with No Vaseline, even though they had actually self destructed months before with EFIL4ZAGGIN.

So the details matter, to me. If you're going to go to the trouble of hiring actors to portray Chuck D and the Bomb Squad, at least mention in passing that Cube got them to help with his debut, and that it was a huge co-sign.
No one can tell a true story as well as the people who lived it, but I guess they felt it needed to be spruced up.

watching the movie tonight with my lil bro. we will see how it goes ...
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Spoiler alert: Eazy E dies bro.