Scarface hates everything

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Scarface hates everything

Post by Philaflava »

I can’t even recall the last time I saw this man smile. It seems like in every picture, interview or verse he spits these days, the man is just miserable. There is no denying that Rap-A-Lot has a history of toying with people and I don’t doubt a lot of what Face says, but damn this dude hates everything. Check out the full interview at Noisey.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/rank-your-r ... -geto-boys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOISEY: Let’s start with your least favorite album, whether that is with the Geto Boys or during your solo career. What do you think comes last and why?

SCARFACE: I don’t like any of the Geto Boys albums at all. Not one. There isn’t a Geto Boys album that I like. I didn’t learn anything from it, and it was a bad time in life for me too. With the label, with life, whatever… it’s a point in my life where I was the most miserable. Everybody else was happy but I wasn’t. I did all of this shit for everybody else and nothing for me. So I cant even lie, I don’t like none of the Geto Boys albums.

Not even We Can’t Be Stopped?
No, I don’t even like that motherfucker because I feel like I was forced to make that album. There is not one album that I like. Do I like songs by the Geto Boys? Fuck yeah! “Mind Playing Tricks on Me” or “Mind of a Lunatic” were great songs. As far as my favorite Geto Boys album? None of them impress me.

But to be fair, I’d imagine that making those albums were colored by your business experiences around them. You were young and probably very green with respect to the music industry.
I was very fucking green with that shit. Dummy, dummy, dummy.

Do you think that has more to do with it than the content?
I don’t know. I don’t like it. I don’t like the Geto Boys at all. I don’t like none of the albums, I don’t like none of the songs. I’m done with that group, and I’m never going to be a part of it again. It’s just a part of my life that I want to forget. The Geto Boys and I can’t get no more money together. None. No more money.

It was just everything else surrounding you?
It was just everything else that was around that really fucking just changed the way I felt about shit. Just terrible.

As far as some of the records are concerned, The Foundation is an album that I made regretfully. The Good The Bad The Ugly was a fucking trash album. It didn’t have Bushwick on it. That was a time when Master P was taking over the airways, so J Prince wanted to Master P the game. I was like “wow like we fucked up so bad trying to do Master P when we should’ve just continued to do us.” I feel like that was the fall of Rap-A-Lot Records to me. A lot of people may not see it like that, and some people might have gotten paid but from a creative stand point, trying be like Master P and put out albums every six or seven minutes fucked up our brand. I think greed fucked up the brand. So everybody, stay where you at. Don’t go trying to be like somebody else. Just cause somebody shit on their record, don’t go shit on yours. Don’t do that. And I totally stand by that.

Some solo records I don’t like either. The World is Yours is forced, so that’s no comment. The Last of a Dying Breed was forced. Balls and My Word was cut and paste material that I never used, and so was My Homies Part 2. Like the mass majority of the motherfuckers on the My Homies 2album… I don’t know who the fuck they were, so they couldn’t have possibly been my homies. They were Rap-A-Lot’s homies!

So a lot of the artists on there were forced on to you.
I mean, I didn’t even record that shit. I didn’t even know that shit existed until it came out. That’s how disrespectful this guy was with your material.

Thats unbelievable.
He put my name on My Homies 2! If anything, I feel like he was trying to ruin my career with cut-away material that never ever made the album. Just a totally disrespectful dude when it came to your shit. J didn’t give a fuck about you, he gave a fuck about him. He didn’t give a fuck about your family, he gave a fuck about his. He didn’t give a fuck who you fed, he only fed his people. That’s real shit, I’m not making this shit up.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Re: Scarface hates everything

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Haha.

Surprised to read that about The World Is Yours, but now I think about it, My Homies Part 2 is pretty bad... Damn, he's actually ruining his music for me.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i knew that about my homies 2 and balls & my world. just like a bunch of the pimp c songs rap-a-lot put out
i barely consider them official releases.

i didn't know he felt like that about the geto boys or last of a dying breed tho

ANU

Post by ANU »

balls & my world is pretty cool though

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

He saves all his love for golf

PEACE

step one

Post by step one »

He covers this in his autobiography, which is well worth a read
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

damn dude needs to take his prozac. either that or record another "look me in my eyes" type joint before he offs himself. otr i got upset when he said "last of a dying breed" is forced.

sidenote: he appeared as a guest on the show with the guy who replaced colbert. showed up wearing some novelty "dorky backpacker" costume and could barely form a sentence fragment the whole panel. for srs dude needs someone to read him some bible verses at night or he's gonna off himself.

Like the mass majority of the motherfuckers on the My Homies 2album… I don’t know who the fuck they were, so they couldn’t have possibly been my homies
lmao
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

it kinda felt like that with J Prince, but it's good to know now officially

Rap-A-Lot is the label that never existed but always was in business. They never really rose and they never faded away. J Prince doing all kinds of sneak shit in the background makes perfect sense as to why the label seemed present but absent in rap history

plus we all know J was mad criminal and just very fucking smart about not being caught

how Scarface can not like the original Geto Boys album or "Fuck 'Em" is :naswtf: to me tho

glad he saved the honor of "Mind of a Lunatic". that song altered my childhood molecules

Rap-A-Lot is outta control
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I read about half his book but haven't had the time to finish it. It bothers me that he feels the way he does, but this is how he feels now, in 2015. It's all in retrospect. Plus it shouldn't really bother me how a man feels about HIS work. I can't let this ruin the music for me.

He obviously has mental issues, which is something we knew all along. They seem to be manifesting themselves in different ways in 2015 compared to the early 90's. He also has some serious NY envy these days. It's like it seems he really wishes he was from here all along.

He's a fuckin nut case but I love the guy's music for the most part so I'm looking forward to this new album. Hopefully it's good.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Didn't he just come off tour with the Geto Boys?

LOL

Honestly though, he's right about a lot of this stuff. Geto Boys songs are definitely better than their albums on the whole. And I like their albums, but in terms of his career with and without the Geto Boys you can always tell there are times when the label was forcing things that he wouldn't have done otherwise.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The shit like My Homies and some other albums, I get. Even the last few Geto Boys releases but the entire catalog? It really just sounds like he has a beef with Prince, is a bit bitter and is just trying to prevnt anyone supporting Rap-A-Lot in general. But I would imagine a lot of fans are gonna be thinking twice now about listening to some Geto Boys shit because he basically shits all over it.

JaH BLaZe

Post by JaH BLaZe »

The Fix is a certified classic to me so it's all good yaknowhutimean

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Gulliest 12" cover of all time.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

http://pitchfork.com/features/paper-tra ... -a-madman/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pitchfork did an article / interview about his book. dude seems to go back and forth with his love / hate for rap-a-lot.

ultimately, they made him a household name, and shady business dealings aside, he should honor the fact that he ended up famous under their brand.
he likes to say he made albums himself, but i doubt he could have marketed himself as well without rap-a-lot's team at the time.

he says def jam gave him a lot of money and the fix did well, but i doubt there was much converting the uninitiated into scarface fans during his years at def jam. he probably made more money off of getting ludacris a deal, anyhow.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

The Fix had a Blueprint like effect for Face and gained him a ton of casual fans. Huge for his career.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

even if rap-a-lot did help his career he doesn't have to respect j. prince or look fondly back on those years if he was miserable, depressed & being treated poorly.
scarface has always been depressed tho. it would be nice if he was happy not for his fan's sake but just because he deserves it

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

plenty of dudes who wear their heart on their sleeve have no ability to be objective about their catalogue/former colleagues - Quiks one example off the top of my head

or if their perspectives too clouded by business troubles, some of their best work being slept on, being embarassed by good shit they dont thinks respectable enough. Hearing Mannie Fresh talk recently about some of his early shit hes p unfairly dismissive imo

i think sometimes they start believing how canon was written and believe their own legend, maybe cos theyre not introspective enough to have opinions idk - hearing someone like Jay or primo looking back sounds like theyre reading a bio written by a Complex intern. dunno if dre and cubes input was just sanitizing the sketchier bits but the music glossed over in Straight Outta Compton seems like this a bit

anyways its Scarface ffs. hes the most famous sadlad in rap history

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

^^^ Dre and Cube sanitized ALL their history in that Straight Outta Compton movie to the point where they look like Ghetto Gangsta Robin Hoods who did no wrong. I love NWA but got dayum. This movie is pretty fucking REVISIONIST, straight up. If not revisionist, then it's just FORGETFUL as fuck, like oops we forgot to include all of Dre's domestic abuse to women, and we only show one minor scene of Eazy dealing drugs, when it was said that Eazy used to sell garbage bags of weed and was insanely deep in the drug game

Cube didn't hit anyone I don't think, but Dre? sheeeeeit, that mother fucker was not ruthless he was RECKLESS and ignorant as fuck plus he let Suge do all that fucked up shit to Eazy until Suge started doing fucked up shit to Death Row and it was messing with the music and the paper. How many Black men died or got beat the fuck up and pistol whipped or drank piss and bullets, before Dre said "enough is enough, I'm going to make Aftermath!"? Countless.

Scarface is cool to be honest, but jesus christ, how can a man hate so many classics? J Prince musta been real fuckin skanless
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

so scarface has a klansman tattooed on his right arm...

B. Ware tha Siniq

I have to say having done interviews on these guys when they're on a media blitz, so much of it has to do with the repetition of the process.

If they get asked the same stupid questions over and over all day, or if they have to do an interview way outside of their comfort zone that they're not really prepared for (like rank your own albums, etc), the responses can be very mixed.

When you've been talking to "journalists" all day, because you've got an album dropping and what they actually know about you or what they're trying to get out of you is grating for hours on end, you can get some interviews that artists end up hating later, because they're frustrated in the moment.

However, I do always find it interesting when there are interviews that directly contradict one another in such a short period of time. Anybody think Prince reminded Face who cuts or doesn't cut those royalty checks?
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

well, according to reviews of face's book, those royalty checks weren't visiting scarface's bank account anyhow.

http://www.egotripland.com/scarface-on- ... show-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he's back on combat jack.

myself

Post by myself »

I guess I'm glad their Kickstarter failed.

I mean, weren't they just doing a Kickstarter a couple months ago that promised a new full-group album and full tour w/ "Go Golfing with Scarface" packages and shit?

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

There's literally nothing Scarfac could say that would ruin a song like "Sorry For What" for me.

Among other jams.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The Frankest wrote:
Dude has to be a manic depressive. He was totally not on this vibe at all prior to that interview coming out. He is also being extremely calculated with his words about Rap-A-Lot. I love Face, but when he was fatter he was doper.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Bipolar for sure. Takes one to know one.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Cleanhobo wrote:Bipolar for sure. Takes one to know one.
Pretty sure he publicly acknowledged this before, or something was written about it, or some such. Also I think heavy extacy use through the 90s had a part in it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

B. Ware tha Siniq

drizzle wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:Bipolar for sure. Takes one to know one.
Pretty sure he publicly acknowledged this before, or something was written about it, or some such. Also I think heavy extacy use through the 90s had a part in it.
yeah, it's been documented. I remember it from a Source article in the late nineties referencing him, DMX, and Kool Keith I believe with documented mental health issues.

step one

Post by step one »

Seriously, read his book
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com