is Jay-Z - The Blueprint, a classic?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: is Jay-Z - The Blueprint, a classic?

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Philaflava wrote:Not picking on Jedi but I was always curious as to why people (and there is a bunch) consider Vol. 3 classic. The bolds are IMO the only decent tracks. Anyone else concur or disagree?

No. Title Producer(s) Length
1. "Hova Song (Intro)" K-Rob 2:21
2. "So Ghetto" DJ Premier 4:01
3. "Do It Again (Put Ya Hands Up)" (featuring Beanie Sigel & Amil) Rockwilder 4:39

4. "Dope Man" (featuring Serena Altschul) DJ Clue?, Darrell Branch, Ken Ifill, Lance Rivera* 4:03
5. "Things That U Do" (featuring Mariah Carey) Swizz Beatz 4:52
6. "It's Hot (Some Like It Hot)" Timbaland 4:16
7. "Snoopy Track" (featuring Juvenile) Timbaland 4:01
8. "S. Carter" (featuring Amil) Russell Howard, Sean Francis, Chauncey Mahan* 4:14
9. "Pop 4 Roc" (featuring Beanie Sigel, Memphis Bleek & Amil) DJ Clue?, Ken Ifill 4:36
10. "Watch Me" (featuring Dr. Dre) Irv Gotti & Lil Rob 4:34
11. "Big Pimpin'" (featuring UGK) Timbaland 4:44
12. "There's Been a Murder" K-Rob 3:40
13. "Come and Get Me" Timbaland 6:09
14. "NYMP" Rockwilder 4:03
15. "Hova Song (Outro)" K-Rob 1:26
16. "Jigga My Nigga" (hidden track) Swizz Beatz 4:34
17. "Girl's Best Friend" (hidden track)
If you don't like 'It's Hot' where Jigga ethers Curtis with one line over some fireball-lazer Timbaland future funk, then I don't know what kinda sherm you smokin'

'Snoopy Track' is fucking incredible too, shoulda been a single. NY meets NO, and shit sounds so lovely.
'There's Been A Murder' is a great ass song, how can you sleep on it?
Jay-Z's intros for this album are also INCREDIBLE "Mike Jordan of rap/ outside J(ay) working/ now watch how quickly I drop 50" :copy:
You didn't bold 'Big Pimpin'? :naswtf:
THIS is the album that shoulda sold what Vol. 2 sold, but thanks to Un Rivera, this release got all fucked up and set Jigga up for the Izzo hook :stabbystabby:
still can't comprehend people who don't hear the greatness of Vol. 3 :retard:

Blueprint is better assembled and captures the start of Kanye and Just Blaze's rise, but Vol. 3 is superior conceptually and lyrically, plus it has some of the BEST Timbaland beats he ever gave Shawn :bow:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

I have still never listened to the whole thing.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:I have still never listened to the whole thing.
I think I have once or twice. Certainly nothing special. You're not missing out.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Not picking on Jedi but I was always curious as to why people (and there is a bunch) consider Vol. 3 classic. The bolds are IMO the only decent tracks. Anyone else concur or disagree?

No. Title Producer(s) Length
1. "Hova Song (Intro)" K-Rob 2:21
2. "So Ghetto" DJ Premier 4:01
3. "Do It Again (Put Ya Hands Up)" (featuring Beanie Sigel & Amil) Rockwilder 4:39

4. "Dope Man" (featuring Serena Altschul) DJ Clue?, Darrell Branch, Ken Ifill, Lance Rivera* 4:03
5. "Things That U Do" (featuring Mariah Carey) Swizz Beatz 4:52
6. "It's Hot (Some Like It Hot)" Timbaland 4:16
7. "Snoopy Track" (featuring Juvenile) Timbaland 4:01
8. "S. Carter" (featuring Amil) Russell Howard, Sean Francis, Chauncey Mahan* 4:14
9. "Pop 4 Roc" (featuring Beanie Sigel, Memphis Bleek & Amil) DJ Clue?, Ken Ifill 4:36
10. "Watch Me" (featuring Dr. Dre) Irv Gotti & Lil Rob 4:34
11. "Big Pimpin'" (featuring UGK) Timbaland 4:44
12. "There's Been a Murder" K-Rob 3:40
13. "Come and Get Me" Timbaland 6:09
14. "NYMP" Rockwilder 4:03
15. "Hova Song (Outro)" K-Rob 1:26
16. "Jigga My Nigga" (hidden track) Swizz Beatz 4:34
17. "Girl's Best Friend" (hidden track)
If you don't like 'It's Hot' where Jigga ethers Curtis with one line over some fireball-lazer Timbaland future funk, then I don't know what kinda sherm you smokin'

'Snoopy Track' is fucking incredible too, shoulda been a single. NY meets NO, and shit sounds so lovely.
'There's Been A Murder' is a great ass song, how can you sleep on it?
Jay-Z's intros for this album are also INCREDIBLE "Mike Jordan of rap/ outside J(ay) working/ now watch how quickly I drop 50" :copy:
You didn't bold 'Big Pimpin'? :naswtf:
THIS is the album that shoulda sold what Vol. 2 sold, but thanks to Un Rivera, this release got all fucked up and set Jigga up for the Izzo hook :stabbystabby:
still can't comprehend people who don't hear the greatness of Vol. 3 :retard:

Blueprint is better assembled and captures the start of Kanye and Just Blaze's rise, but Vol. 3 is superior conceptually and lyrically, plus it has some of the BEST Timbaland beats he ever gave Shawn :bow:
It's all about "NYMD" for me. One of my favorite Jay songs

"Who gon' stop him/ Not Rudy Giuliani, not Hillary Rodham"

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Cleanhobo wrote:
I think I have once or twice. Certainly nothing special. You're not missing out.
Yeah. I wasn't trying to sound like a contrarian or anything. Really liked a couple of the singles when it came out.

Just downloaded it and gave it a couple of plays.

PTS

Post by PTS »

Vol.3 is Jay's 2nd best album, although I prefer the euro version with "Is That Yo Bitch" replacing "Watch Me" and "There Was A Murder".

And I guess yes, Blueprint is a classic.
And yes, American Gangsta is good for a post-Black Album project.
And yes, Dynasty is a top 5 Jay album.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

PTS wrote:Vol.3 is Jay's 2nd best album, although I prefer the euro version with "Is That Yo Bitch" replacing "Watch Me" and "There Was A Murder".

And I guess yes, Blueprint is a classic.
And yes, American Gangsta is good for a post-Black Album project.
And yes, Dynasty is a top 5 Jay album.
:cheers:

'NYMP' is fresh, dope dope, too. And yes, the version with 'Iz That Yo B!tch?' is the best version of Vol. 3. I don't consider 'Jigga my N!gga' officially part of that album, :naswtf:

and anyone fronting on 'Do It Again' is fucking bonkers. That shit had clubs on lock for months. "12 am on my way to the clubbb..." :bunny:
Cleanhobo wrote:
"did you fools listen to it/ or did you just skim thru it" :copy: not even on Vol. 3 but still applies :bunk: :rofl: :lastweek: :lastweek: :lastweek:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

None of his albums are classics. He was a placeholder for a confused generation and he smartly capitalized on said confusion in order to propel himself to society's highest height.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Employee wrote:None of his albums are classics. He was a placeholder for a confused generation and he smartly capitalized on said confusion in order to propel himself to society's highest height.
Well said. Joe Camel = most overrated rapper in the history of rap music.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

JaH BLaZe wrote:Just because the source rated it a classic dont mean it is a classic.
I think its an aight effort. If you can consciously group an album like Illmatic, Enter The Wu-Tang or Low End Theory in that classic category than its blasphemous to throw the Blueprint in there. Just my humble op.
Only post on here that makes sense
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Yes.

Agree with Vol. 3 and Dynasty being massively underrated. I'd put Vol. 3 in the two-spot as well.

Jay is a top 5 rapper. The second verse on Where I'm From > most careers.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Philaflava wrote:
Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:People actually liked American Gangster?
Much better than ppl give it credit for. Puffy brought the hits.
THIS.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Fuck Jay-Z.

Yes, the BP is a classic.

I don't know what it is, and I have always been a Jay fan, but I just hate the fact that so many people give him this GOAT crown. He gets like an irrevocable pass on everything all the time. He is exposable on so many levels but people just sweat him. He pulled the okie doke on everyone and all the sheep really fell for it. I don't think I would feel this way if he wasn't sweated so much all over the place. The whole thing is just phony to me. Any other rapper would have gotten called out a million times but he stays getting a pass on the bullshit.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I've always said he kinda became the paper champ once Biggie and Pac died. Not that Jay-Z isn't a dope rapper and a much better lyricist than 2Pac, but he isn't GOAT. Shit he isn't even in my top 5. Top 10 yeah, but he definitely had all of NY sipping that juice.

And despite the horrible decisions and shitty work ethics, Nas will always be better because he just is a better rapper and not just because of 1 album.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Jay is a great rapper and entertainer. No question about that. It just bothers me that he is not held to the same standard as other rappers. Especially on the East Coast and specifically NY like you said.

It was great when Cam abused him on that Writer/Biter shit. That was pure comedy. But again, almost any other rapper's career would have been ended right there, and these people still sweat this guy like he can do no wrong.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

This shit is legendary. :lol:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

imo jay gets a pass because of his crossover fans. they don't know/care about biting, they don't have the ear to realize that an album like faggot carter holy fail is an instant dud -- let alone the middling albums. heads respect his resume and like phila says it's all there on paper.

^LOOOL at that cam shit. i haven't listened to this since it dropped (along with a dis where he mentions beyonce?)

personally i don't care about the "biting". most of these are explicit references. if anything it's kinda like how game name drops every track (game references lines too). although this shit all resonated on ether where nas paints jay like some starstruck fan tryna fake his way into rap.

+ let's not forget that jay put cam in the hole after this. plus the bars off "oh my god"
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Kid That's Lifeless

Philaflava wrote:And despite the horrible decisions and shitty work ethics, Nas will always be better because he just is a better rapper and not just because of 1 album.
Talent: Nas > Jay
Catalog: Jay >>> Nas

FWIW, I have Nas > Ghost > Jay

Good god, what year am I posting in

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:
Philaflava wrote:And despite the horrible decisions and shitty work ethics, Nas will always be better because he just is a better rapper and not just because of 1 album.
Talent: Nas > Jay
Catalog: Jay >>> Nas

FWIW, I have Nas > Ghost > Jay

Good god, what year am I posting in
When you include all of nas unreleased music, his catalog surpasses jay's

Kid That's Lifeless

Jay doesn't have to keep releasing cutting room floor shit to keep fans in his corner.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

nah, he just has to drop albums that open with justin timberlake vocals
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:nah, he just has to drop albums that open with justin timberlake vocals

Exactly. Plus throw on guest spots of whoever is hot at the moment.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

And not to go down this road again, but since it was brought up...

The bottom line with Nas' career is that the original I Am got heavily bootlegged and for whatever reason he decided to split it up and change it and put out I AM and Nastradaums. If the double I Am that was suppose to drop which included all those classic songs that went unreleased and the ones that ended up on The Lost Tapes came out as it was supposed to, we would never be questioning his greatness. That period really fucked him up and that of course is when Jay attacked. But then he got Ethered.

Not saying Nas doesn't have his flaws, but that was the main thing that fucked up people's opinion about his career.

Jay has plenty of flaws as well, including many of his albums that are VASTLY overrated.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

tonight we're gonna argue like it's nineteen, ninety, nine.

In answer to the thread's question. Yes, Blueprint is definitely a classic. The shit came out of 9/11 for Chrissakes. The world was changing and this was a motherfucking soundtrack. Case closed.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:tonight we're gonna argue like it's nineteen, ninety, nine.

In answer to the thread's question. Yes, Blueprint is definitely a classic. The shit came out of 9/11 for Chrissakes. The world was changing and this was a motherfucking soundtrack. Case closed.
That is def true. The album was a great distraction those first few weeks here in NY after 9/11. I'm sure throughout the country too on some level. It was played everywhere. You would go in whatever club was poppin at the time like Spa or Life and they would pretty much play the whole album.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Remember this guy? :lol:

Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:tonight we're gonna argue like it's nineteen, ninety, nine.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Remember this guy? :lol:

this was hot tho...

.... to the point people thought it was a track off the upcoming Black Album.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

pradadon wrote:The bottom line with Nas' career is that the original I Am got heavily bootlegged and for whatever reason he decided to split it up
That was Columbia's call. They saw DMX drop twice in a year and go multiplat with It's Dark.. and Flesh of my Flesh... and wanted their flagship rap act to do the same.