Mr. Lif Signs Multi-Album Deal w/ Mello Music

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Mr. Lif Signs Multi-Album Deal w/ Mello Music

Post by Employee »

http://us11.campaign-archive2.com/?u=33 ... ac41420aa8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The B-Boy has returned. Legendary Boston MC Mr. Lif has signed a multi-album deal with Mello Music Group for 2016 & 2017. His first new project will be out by early next year, but to hold fans over, MMG will reissue his classic album I Phantom on November 27th.

For those new to this classic, I Phantom showcases production by El-P, Edan, Insight, DJ Fakts One, and NASA. Add to that guest features from Aesop Rock, Jean Grae, and Akrobatik.

“I’ve been very active musically for years but I haven’t been putting records out,” Lif says. “I’ve been touring the world with Thievery Corporation and otherwise living in the studio, constantly making songs.” Lif’s new slate of music is as progressive and searing as ever.

If you’re even vaguely familiar with post-millennium underground hip-hop, you know all about the MC born Jeffrey Haynes. Over the course of four solo EPs and albums, Lif established himself as one of hip-hop’s most brilliant thinkers and triumphantly defiant voices. He spoke truth to power like few others: indicting racism, the inequities of late Capitalism, and political corruption.

His new songs figure to define this new age, by highlighting what has changed and how much regrettably has stayed the same.

The partnership with Mello came out about organically. The link between the former Def Jux linchpin and Mello was obvious: they’re both known for uncompromised raw music with integrity, dedicated to both tradition and progression.

Set for release on November 27th, Lif’s classic debut album titled, I Phantom is the start to a long partnership. Lif promises his new work will be the most soul baring of his career — records that chronicle his ups and downs and the ebbs and flows of life.

"It was a very intentional decision to remain unsigned by any record label until I was absolutely ready. That personal journey spanned from 2007 to 2015. I needed to step back and gain perspective on a great many things", Lif says. "I waited the right amount of time. I grew. I recorded an abundance of new material over the years, found the right record label, and now it's time to come back and start round two of my career."

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Mr. Lif Signs Multi-Album Deal w/ Mello Music

Post by Philaflava »

Mellow the new Def Jux?

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

I'll just say its kind of crazy to think of a label like Mello Music succeeding in 2015, but damn the output and consistent high quality of their releases has been impressive over the last couple of years.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

That's dope. Lif has been hit and miss to me historically, but he's got an awesome rap voice, and he's an excellent live performer. I recently had been kind of wondering if he'd just called it quits, but Mello is definitely a natural home for him. Look forward to hearing his new stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DLG

Post by DLG »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:That's dope. Lif has been hit and miss to me historically, but he's got an awesome rap voice, and he's an excellent live performer. I recently had been kind of wondering if he'd just called it quits, but Mello is definitely a natural home for him. Look forward to hearing his new stuff.
I always thought his voice was the weak link.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

He's been caking off of touring with a band called Thievery Corporation, pretty much as part of their band.

I follow him on Facebook and the only rap related posts he makes are about his collection of early 90s rap cassettes he has. Outside of making his own music I think he's oblivious to current rap of all flavors.

He puts on great live shows. I've seen him a few rimes but it was always him as opening act for whatever headliner there I was more interested in seeing, but he usually outshines with his performances.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I saw him with The Perceptionists and they crushed it. About 500 times better than the album experience.

Like, the freestyled and it was actually very entertaining and you didn't want it to stop.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

DLG wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:That's dope. Lif has been hit and miss to me historically, but he's got an awesome rap voice, and he's an excellent live performer. I recently had been kind of wondering if he'd just called it quits, but Mello is definitely a natural home for him. Look forward to hearing his new stuff.

He is a good rapper but the kind (think J-Live) where you're not trying to hear him for a whole lotta songs in a row.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Philaflava wrote:
DLG wrote:

He is a good rapper but the kind (think J-Live) where you're not trying to hear him for a whole lotta songs in a row.
I wouldn't mind it if he didn't sound like he had a perpetual head cold when rapping.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

I really like his new single featuring Del. I just wonder why he was away from HipHop for so long...

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

GTFO.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

WiCkEd22 wrote:I really like his new single featuring Del. I just wonder why he was away from HipHop for so long...

he was getting paid doing tours with Thievery Corporation for a few years.

myself

Post by myself »

He's been involved in a couple crowfunding things and was apparently too busy to fulfill the one Kickstarter he did with some brass band, too.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

"too busy"? jesus christ, i need to get in on this crowdfunding scam before the law figures it out
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

damn, he cut and regrew his dreads! he only used to have a couple gigantic ones

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Vlad Analogue wrote:damn, he cut and regrew his dreads! he only used to have a couple gigantic ones
I mean it has been like 8 years since we've heard from him...

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Lif ain't Lif without the three massive shitlogs sprouting from atop his head, imo

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

THE NEW ALBUM IS REALLY GOOD

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

https://open.spotify.com/album/1ywbbTbQ ... i=JachUjxG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Mr. Lif and Akrobatik album.

https://mrlifmmg.bandcamp.com/album/resolution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

DLG wrote:

his voice is what makes him one of my favorites, that and the super hero bboy stances at the live shows

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

KhillA wrote:Lif ain't Lif without the three massive shitlogs sprouting from atop his head, imo

FUCK YOUR ANTI-BLACK CULTURAL IGNORANCE, CAVEMAN

:rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
KhillA wrote:Lif ain't Lif without the three massive shitlogs sprouting from atop his head, imo

FUCK YOUR ANTI-BLACK CULTURAL IGNORANCE, CAVEMAN

:rofl:
But but but but I have black friends!

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

You're painfully unfunny...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Dollars to doughnuts you've used that line in copious amounts