International Rap Fans vs. American Rap Fans

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Jedisdope

International Rap Fans vs. American Rap Fans

Post by Jedisdope »

Why is there such a large devotion of old school hip-hop fans overseas but not so much in the USA? This is probably a tired topic to some degree 'round these parts. But I'm thinking of doing a video piece about this and I'm looking for some insight from the P.

If you google an old school rapper + Tour Schedule, nine times out of ten you'll see tour dates almost exclusively overseas. Some rappers who were popular in '89 have a hard time filling a 200 person venue in NYC, but can achieve that easily in some random town in Austria. I could be wrong but I don't think this is true for most other genres of music. Maybe punk. That would makes sense to me. But does a washed up 80s hair metal band do well overseas? It seems less likely for some reason.

Any thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: International Rap Fans vs. American Rap Fans

Post by Employee »

Thousands of shitty Think Pieces and threads devoted to this topic exist.

It's about mathematics, access, and demographics.

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

You may be right but link me to those shitty think pieces. I think there's a way to explore this but not make it shitty.

And I don't really know what you mean by mathematics, access, and demographics.

@broodbabyjed

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

I'm guessing because old school shit is not as played out overseas, but I'm not sure and I wonder the same thing

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

the scarcity of a foreign musician on your turf.

there's also lots of artists from the USA that are relatively unknown in the USA but have a huge following in other countries, genres aside.
some of them are of marginal talent, but hey they're getting theirs.

wasn't it lionel richie that was big in Iran or something?

you could pigeonhole it into old school hip hop, but i think about stuff like how trinidad james did a tour in japan last year a month or so after being dropped by def jam.

there's probably cash incentives. less taxation, maybe depending where they play the exchange rate is in their favor when they come home paid, the promoters might shell out more for their travel.

you also got royalty in the middle east doing bar mitzvah x100 shit inviting people like justin beiber over to do private shows, etc.

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

sleazy_j wrote:the scarcity of a foreign musician on your turf.
Why doesn't it work the other way around? Are there European artists who had success in the 80s and 90s and don't get much local support who can kill it on tour in the US? Maybe I'm wrong but I can't think of any.

@broodbabyjed

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

same with metal
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Employee wrote:Thousands of shitty Think Pieces and threads devoted to this topic exist.
all written by employee
1. Nas
2. Drake

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

(Useless post number 1462)

That is the most ridiculously funny Gif and for whatever reason is always exactly what I thought Employee would look like, even though I know it is not him, it very well should be...
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Employee wrote:Thousands of shitty Think Pieces and threads devoted to this topic exist.

Typical employee post. Tries to seem smart and clever, but really means nothing.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Literally. The only reason hip hop has more hardcore fans in foreign countries is because it's just that, foreign. In Germany people still think Wu Tang are street Gods. It is a taste of something they don't understand. With that said I can't imagine giving a fuck about German hip hop, however the electronic music of Europe is huge in America due in part to the same thing. It's foreign. Grass is always greener.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
all written by employee
Hopefully.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:

Typical employee post. Tries to seem smart and clever, but really means nothing.
You live with your mom so I accept your judgement.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

prob because european charts are full of garbage pop dance songs and real rap shit like fetty wap doesn't even crack top 20 there

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:same with metal
:lol: either one of the best trolls or dumbest things ever posted on this board
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Dusty Fingers wrote:Literally. The only reason hip hop has more hardcore fans in foreign countries is because it's just that, foreign. In Germany people still think Wu Tang are street Gods. It is a taste of something they don't understand. With that said I can't imagine giving a fuck about German hip hop, however the electronic music of Europe is huge in America due in part to the same thing. It's foreign. Grass is always greener.
What are you talking about? The biggest European EDM artists in the US are the ones that make the same identical big house/brostep shit that pads out most EDC sets. Martin Garrix isn't huge because he sounds 'foreign', he's huge because his sound is familiar - people want to hear the same Sylenth presets over and over, they don't give a shit if it's made in Oslo or Mia
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:same with metal
:lol: either one of the best trolls or dumbest things ever posted on this board
Borks love metal > sharks love slayer

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

The stereotypical borks are only people born in the 80's - they're a dying breed. The younger generation doesn't give a shit about Wu-Tang or EPMD. They listen to Future, Drake and the same gay stuff Americans like.

I think now instead of being oldschool bork many people instead obsess over modern underground rap from specific regions and crews.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

he said "crews", lol, what a bork

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:
Dusty Fingers wrote:Literally. The only reason hip hop has more hardcore fans in foreign countries is because it's just that, foreign. In Germany people still think Wu Tang are street Gods. It is a taste of something they don't understand. With that said I can't imagine giving a fuck about German hip hop, however the electronic music of Europe is huge in America due in part to the same thing. It's foreign. Grass is always greener.
What are you talking about? The biggest European EDM artists in the US are the ones that make the same identical big house/brostep shit that pads out most EDC sets. Martin Garrix isn't huge because he sounds 'foreign', he's huge because his sound is familiar - people want to hear the same Sylenth presets over and over, they don't give a shit if it's made in Oslo or Mia
Chicken or the egg? Quite honestly I do not know. Electronic music is for faggots.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Dusty Fingers wrote: Chicken or the egg? Quite honestly I do not know. Electronic music is for hustler.
#FREEHUSTLER
1. Nas
2. Drake

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Dusty Fingers wrote:
seagrams hotsauce wrote:
Chicken or the egg? Quite honestly I do not know. Electronic music is for faggots.
EDM > all music sans hip hop

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

"same with metal" makes sense in a way, that movie Anvil for example.
competent but overall uninteresting thrash band from the 80s has a hard time making money off shows in the USA,
so tries all sorts of European touring that barely keeps them afloat financially. and then they go to Japan and
end up with a huge fanbase, or maybe it was just one show that became a major spectacle without their knowing,
but the end is the confidence gained, movie made, and resurgance of American interest because they had a movie
made about them. seriously.

foreigners love american raps. raps were created here, anyhow.
americans don't care about foreign languages, unless you're making a living as an interpreter.
if you're making money as an interpreter, you probably aren't a hardcore rap fan, but there's exceptions.
otherwise, if your music is instrumental beats, your stock just raised towards american fandom.
speak a foreign language? you better have a funny video. that's the only way you're getting a guest spot on ellen, PSY.
but foreign rap? hell nah. i know people that don't even like grime because the rapper's voices aren't american.

we some bigots yo.

step one

Post by step one »

Certain acts can get tours in the UK and Europe (and probably beyond) but its not disproportionate to the sort of shows they do in the US. In London they'll play Jazz Cafe or The Garage which hold a few hundred people. Like CQ said, its the same big mainstream artists here as in the US. The majority listen to Drake, Kanye, Fetty Wap and all that stuff.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
Dusty Fingers wrote:
seagrams hotsauce wrote:
EDM > all music sans hip hop
Eh... I fucks with you HEAVY... but nah

step one

Post by step one »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote: EDM > all music sans hip hop
:fail:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

KhillA wrote:he said "crews", lol, what a bork
:lol:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

step one wrote:Certain acts can get tours in the UK and Europe (and probably beyond) but its not disproportionate to the sort of shows they do in the US. In London they'll play Jazz Cafe or The Garage which hold a few hundred people. Like CQ said, its the same big mainstream artists here as in the US. The majority listen to Drake, Kanye, Fetty Wap and all that stuff.
didn't the pinkprint tour have like 12 shows in britain alone
1. Nas
2. Drake

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

I think huge rap artists here mostly also have a huge fanbase in international regions. It's just if you take someone like Kool Moe Dee, I'd be willing to bet he'd have trouble booking a sizable tour in the US, but could probably do ok overseas. I don't think he would fill arenas or anything but I bet he could get a few hundred people to come out and see him in some random cities in Germany.

I can't help but feel there's probably some racial fetishism going on. I'm curious to hear from rappers who have performed overseas to better understand the vibe of the fans.

@broodbabyjed