Most Consistent For Twenty Years (Or So)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Who's holdin' it down?

A.G.
2%
AZ
7%
Big Boi
5%
Black Thought
13%
Bun B
No votes
DJ Quik
4%
DOOM
5%
E-40
11%
El-P
5%
Ghostface Killah
7%
Juicy J
4%
Killah Priest
No votes
Kool Keith
5%
Masta Ace
2%
Myka Nyne
2%
O.C.
2%
Pharoahe Monch
5%
Raekwon
No votes
Scarface
18%
Too Short
2%

Total votes: 55

Re: Most Consistent For Twenty Years (Or So)

Post by 907 »

Ghost. Even at his worst, he's still damn good. At his best, he's one of the GOATS.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Scarface, but AZ might be my favorite rapper alive today.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

don't know how this is not easily masta ace... :rofl:

like seriously... it's a no brainer... if wizard of poetry defines consistency to you than okay

oh and scarface is fucking psychotically wack at this point

*insert another delirious black pride anthemic snoozefest here please

we get it face, your great grandfather was a slave...

thanks for the 8 albums about it that nobody gives a fuck about
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Juicy J

Was gonna say ghost but then remembered how bad he has been lately

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Voted Scarface, but admittedly I haven't heard his most recent album yet.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

mighty pharoahe, and it's not even close

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Juiceman

thatkidnero

Post by thatkidnero »

Black thought is like the definition of consistent.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

AG – While he is good on Ray West shit, his just doesn’t stand out. His material is barely recognized since the late 90s.
Big Boi – his last two albums were iffy. Wild gaps in between but can still rap his ass off.
Black Thought – the epitome of consistent. Constantly destroying almost every and all guest verses. Continues to age gracefully showing no signs of falling off and a rather impressive consistent catalog.
Bun B – running out of air. Redundant as shit and lost some luster when Pimp passed.
DJ Quik – one of the most underrated producer/emcees. That said, his albums for the past 2 decades are wildly inconsistent.
Doom – The Daniel Day Lewis of this shit.
E-40 – No.
El-P – No. He became a better producer than rapper.
GFK – Clearly one of the most logical answer but his decline will sway votes.
Juicy J –Project Pat >
Killah Priest – Bork pick.
Kool Keith – Nobody is truly checking for Keith this decade or last. We Youtube a video or soundclick a track just to see if our old uncle still can make us laugh.
Masta Ace – First 10 years were solid as fuck. Got more boring, borking on the back 9.
Myka Nyne – OMG westcoast bias
OC – Backpacker favorite. First two albums were gems but after ’97 he couldn’t find the same chemistry with other producers.
Pharoahe Monch – Lyrically still has it, but kinda went a bit Common on us with his latest releases.
Raekwon – Dude no.
Scarface – Yes, if you voted him, GFK or Black Thought you did well.
Too $hort – Not since Cocktails have I thought to listen or even download a Short Dawg album.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:Too $hort – Not since Cocktails have I thought to listen or even download a Short Dawg album.
:larry:

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Philaflava wrote:AG – While he is good on Ray West shit, his just doesn’t stand out. His material is barely recognized since the late 90s.
Big Boi – his last two albums were iffy. Wild gaps in between but can still rap his ass off.
Black Thought – the epitome of consistent. Constantly destroying almost every and all guest verses. Continues to age gracefully showing no signs of falling off and a rather impressive consistent catalog.
Bun B – running out of air. Redundant as shit and lost some luster when Pimp passed.
DJ Quik – one of the most underrated producer/emcees. That said, his albums for the past 2 decades are wildly inconsistent.
Doom – The Daniel Day Lewis of this shit.
E-40 – No.
El-P – No. He became a better producer than rapper.
GFK – Clearly one of the most logical answer but his decline will sway votes.
Juicy J –Project Pat >
Killah Priest – Bork pick.
Kool Keith – Nobody is truly checking for Keith this decade or last. We Youtube a video or soundclick a track just to see if our old uncle still can make us laugh.
Masta Ace – First 10 years were solid as fuck. Got more boring, borking on the back 9.
Myka Nyne – OMG westcoast bias
OC – Backpacker favorite. First two albums were gems but after ’97 he couldn’t find the same chemistry with other producers.
Pharoahe Monch – Lyrically still has it, but kinda went a bit Common on us with his latest releases.
Raekwon – Dude no.
Scarface – Yes, if you voted him, GFK or Black Thought you did well.
Too $hort – Not since Cocktails have I thought to listen or even download a Short Dawg album.
You skipped AZ. Poor guy's always gettin' overlooked.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:rofl:

Not intentional but unintentionally funny and true.

AZ - Consistently dope but I can't say he has stood out to me since the Memphis Sessions. He is a guy who is probably too underground too indie for his own good. His last few albums were just decent. I wish he was more like Cormega and selective with the production instead of using free beats by borks or unknowns just to pocket more of that label budget for himself.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Good thoughts, agree with a lot of it. Would've included Cormega if he had put an album out by ~'95 or earlier like everybody else listed. (Andre 3000 and Breeze Brewin also weren't included due to no solo albums.)

"...went a bit Common..." Purposefully excluded him, and some other obvious options, for mainly this reason.

"DJ Quik – His albums for the past two decades are wildly inconsistent."

Nah. Quik is the Name, Way 2 Fonky, Safe + Sound, Rhythm-al-ism, Balance & Options, Under Tha Influence, Trauma, BlaQKout, The Book of David, The Midnight Life. As of now, those are his ten albums. Definitely deserves at least a mention.

Juicy J – Project Pat >

Sure, that's a fair argument. But Project Pat hasn't really had recorded material out for two decades yet, he started his career later than his younger brother.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

TheBigSleep wrote:Good thoughts, agree with a lot of it. Would've included Cormega if he had put an album out by ~'95 or earlier like everybody else listed. (Andre 3000 and Breeze Brewin also weren't included due to no solo albums.)

"...went a bit Common..." Purposefully excluded him, and some other obvious options, for mainly this reason.

"DJ Quik – His albums for the past two decades are wildly inconsistent."

Nah. Quik is the Name, Way 2 Fonky, Safe + Sound, Rhythm-al-ism, Balance & Options, Under Tha Influence, Trauma, BlaQKout, The Book of David, The Midnight Life. As of now, those are his ten albums. Definitely deserves at least a mention.

Juicy J – Project Pat >

Sure, that's a fair argument. But Project Pat hasn't really had recorded material out for two decades yet, he started his career later than his younger brother.
But for the sake of the thread title, I really only took into account Rhythm-al-ism, Balance & Options, Under The Influence, Trauma, Book of David and the most current one. Maybe I viewed it as most consistent for the past two decades. And I was just joking about Project Pat. Trying to bring the Blastmater into this jawn.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

I wouldn't even vote Ghost into the top 10 from those options. If we're voting on consistency here, Black Thought and Pharaohe come to mind as guys whose skills are still razor sharp. Ghost on the other hand, although one of my faves throughout 90's early 00's, has become pretty subpar as of late and its a shame because some of those BBNG and Adrian Younge instrumentals were pretty solid.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i've never heard a full killah priest project, but from what i've heard from him over the years, he's been consistent, keeping in his lane.

everybody else i see in that list that i'm familiar with has had some deviations or bad choices in releases over their years, making them
inconsistent with their catalogs.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

01. E-40
02. DJ Quik
03. Scarface

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

GFK, despite how bad his new shits been.

Rae is up there for me too. Skipped out on his latest album though.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Rhyme 4 Rhyme wrote:GFK, despite how bad his new shits been..
\

isn't going from 'good' to 'bad' basically the definition of inconsistent
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

doom is the only rapper on the list i would anticipate new music from

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

AWAE wrote:doom is the only rapper on the list i would anticipate new music from
that's because doom has been consistently not present in hip hop music for quite some time now...

a new doom album is looking like the cure right about now

although tony says it's coming... we'll see

Versive

Post by Versive »

Voting AZ because dude has put out stuff of the same quality for 20 years. Not better than the best of the best on this list by any means, but consistent unto itself. Same reasoning could make convincing case for Killah Priest.
That's sad, if true. Don't think it is, considering he's putting out records on Fat Beats and MMG. You really should check out his 2015 albums. They're very good.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Hair of the Dog wrote:I wouldn't even vote Ghost into the top 10 from those options. If we're voting on consistency here, Black Thought and Pharaohe come to mind as guys whose skills are still razor sharp. Ghost on the other hand, although one of my faves throughout 90's early 00's, has become pretty subpar as of late and its a shame because some of those BBNG and Adrian Younge instrumentals were pretty solid.
straight up he sounds like an amateur on these. i can't imagine anyone thinking ghost is consistent after hearing these projects.

@phila memphis sessions was recycled vocals too. mostly from AWOL & the format. those were both great albums but after that AZ dropped a bunch of garbage CDs & mixtapes with at best a couple joints here & there (only runaway slave was interesting).
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I know but it was still a dope project. Sit Em Back Slow >

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Versive wrote:Voting AZ because dude has put out stuff of the same quality for 20 years. Not better than the best of the best on this list by any means, but consistent unto itself. Same reasoning could make convincing case for Killah Priest.
didn't read this before posting about AZ. i disagree, only thing with AZ is his flow doesn't fall off (like eg ghost's does) to the point where he sounds like an amateur. even on phone-in joints whatever, he always sounds "professional style". but he put out at least 3 projects that were complete jokes, straight up cash grabs like phila said (i think IDAL had a story back in some AZ thread about what's going on with his label)

-undeniable (nominally an album)
-i am legend
-legendary
or whatever. coming off of the format i was devastated hearing these. can only think of one track worth revisiting

1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Philaflava wrote:I know but it was still a dope project. Sit Em Back Slow >
yeah i like this project a lot. it never replaced the others for me (the way AZ rides a beat you can tell these are remixes) but it's always chill to hear him over al green.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Az can release a million verses a year and I will swear up and down that I've already heard them all...

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Dusty Fingers wrote:Az can release a million verses a year and I will swear up and down that I'm a faggot...
:cheers: