a Jay Electronica album. for real. "The Awakening"

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

a Jay Electronica album. for real. "The Awakening"

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/OtLAvHYK/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy New Years, motherfuckers.

Apparently he used to go by the name Je'Ri.

This is a real Jay Elec album. It's actually pretty fucking good!!! 15 songs of super-scientifical space rap that makes quite a bit of sense, over some spacey-boom-bap production that is dated, yet also kinda alluring for capturing its era quite intriguingly, like the visual aesthetic and architecture of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

peep:
In an industry full of East coast rough necks, West coast riders, and dirty South players, it's a relief to hear someone with an unbiased view speak from a neutral corner
Je'Ri has traveled from New Orleans, to Atlanta, to Chicago, back to Atlanta, and finally to the big apple in search of that oppurtunity that will open up the door to stardom. You can definitely hear the influence from the East, South, and mid-West in his lyrics, and it comes out in a beautiful collage with an East coast flow, Mid-Western wit, and dirty South grit on his debut underground album, "The Awakening".
Je'Ri is BossandFamily records first act, and he may just hit the lead off home run that will carry this label to victory. Je'Ri has a very solid rhyme scheme, a smooth delivery, and a somewhat monotone but clear and easily understandable voice. He's an ambitious young rapper hoping to crack the safe of this rap game, and he speaks on his determintation on "Can You Feel" it, a heartfelt anthem with beautiful strings and very sharp lyrics. Though the chorus on "Can You Feel it" is a little bit sappy, with children singing in choir fashion, it actually works well, and adds to the inspirational vibe of the song.
On "My Life", the self produced gem, Je'Ri shows off his talent behind the boards as well as behind the mic. In "My Life" Je'Ri beats you down with flawless rhymes about his own personal struggles, sounding alot like a post-'92 Rakim, with lyrics like "Doin' my thing,workin' hard, payin' my dues/ but it seems like them other cats iswearin' my shoes/ used to see the fly whips while I was ridin' the train/ crackin' a smile but the whole while just hidin' my pain", very nice. The very intimate "Infinite Love", produced by Warlok, comes through nicely, as Je'Ri speaks from the heart to his other half, and let's her know why she's so important to him.
The most radio-friendly song on the album, "Get Busy", is an infectious party jam, equipped with a beat that will snap your neck and a catchy chorus. Je'Ri gets deep with the wisdom on "Supreme Mathematics", a real laid back track, with very soothing and thought provoking lyrics. "New Orleans" and "Redrum" are hardcore bangers that suffer from a bad chorus. "Raw" and "Fairyality Tale" are both very strong lyrically but were poorly produced.

Je'Ri has the skill to do much more than hold his own over a spanof a whole album, thats why guest appearances on this album don't work well. I found myself waiting for his guest's verses to be over with so Je'Ri can bless the mic again. "Realness", a colloabo with Latin Bronx MC "El Profesor" does not work well, even though the beat bangs, the chemistry just isn't there. The very eerie "Killer Instinct" is appealing, but doesn't fit the vibe of the album, and rapper/producer Warlok should have let Je'Ri handle the lyrical side of things. Je'Ri's
labelmate, Female MC Keatana comes through with a less than stellar performance on the "Beg to Differ", and Je'Ri outshines his counterpart so bad that it brings the actual song down a few notches. "Format" is less than impressive, and labelmate M-Zae comes off sounding like an MJG ripoff, and doesn't merge well with Je'Ri's vibe.
All in all it's an average album from a far above average MC. It is comforting to listen to an MC who doesn't fit the stereotypes of a moet popping mainstream MC, or a backpack wearing underground MC. Je'Ri is his own Man, and you won't hear any references to gun clappin' or ice rockin', just a Man with a goal, speaking on his life experiences. He's a rare species, and he posesses all the tools to make it big, the charisma, the drive, the substance, and definitely the skill. It ain't hard to tell that he's a seasoned veteran that has been around the game for quite some time. You can hear the Rakim, LL Cool J, and the late Notorious B.I.G.'s influence in his lyrics, and your end result is a well rounded MC who has the potential make something much better than just a solid album like "The Awakening".
um, what do they say about opinions? :rofl:

Anyway: Illuminati Electronica RocInterNational obviously has deleted the soundcloud page within an hour. But, I got you doggies.
if I do NOTHING ELSE for :phila: in 2016, at least I posted the mysterious Jay Electronica Lost Tapes debut album. :ignore:

:bunny:

JAY ELECTRONICA FINALLY HAS DONE RIGHT BY ME. And he didn't even do it :lol: . KANYESHRUG. The songs are pretty damn good. Also:

RAP IS OUTTA CONTROL
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: a Jay Electronica album. for real. "The Awakening"

Post by Philaflava »

Thanks. I am more excited about this than most of the '15 releases.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

it's actually pretty much everything you want from hip hop music.

I don't think the beats are THAT bad, but they are the worst part of this LP, besides the few guests who are not on Jay Elec's level. Meh.

For the most part, I was listening to it like "yo.... i can't believe it! I.... am... actually ENJOYING this!!! It's a solid ass album with real ass songs!"

honestly, I don't even give a fuck if he drops a Roc Nation debut anymore. In some ways, I think this will be better.
but I'll still jam to his Roc Nation debut if he gets his fucking head straight enough to drop it, and stop listening to malarkey like Erykah Badu saying "he'll drop his debut when I say it's the right time and I"m not sure it will ever be the right time, muhahahaha" WTF :naswtf: :bunk: .
But at least I don't have to give a fuck about waiting for it to drop to have an album experience of Jay Electricity.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

file's down. how old is this?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Thanks for the link, although I'm very skeptical about this. This is from 2000, and it isn't the first time old shit credited to Jay E turned out to be somebody else.

FWIW, background info and og reddit thread

http://www.complex.com/music/2016/01/ja ... ces-online" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/co ... ning_2000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the thumbnail pic in that review does look like him tho
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

am i trippin or are all those links down?
1. Nas
2. Drake

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/yjzfjbFD/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

listened to a few and it does sound like him, albeit very dated

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

I spent all morning listening to the songs. They are REAL. I am NOT in need of attention on Philaflava. I am not lying.

it's 15 songs by Jay Electronica from 2000, like I said. There's like 3 guests on it, but I don't recognize any of them. KANYESHRUG.

I listened to the songs on the original Soundcloud page this morning. They deleted it within a few hours.

After being :owens: , I went to reddit and got the link. The links are now existent on the internets, and like I told you, the album is called "The Awakening".

"Got a date with destiny that I'm definitely cancelling..." - Jay E

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I'm not disputing the fact that you think it's real, and you're not the only one. But clearly there's some room for doubt here.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

there was a singular microscopic moment where doubt might be necessary.
but if you stop wasting your time being a cynical, pessimistic doubting Thomas, you could immediately start spending time downloading the real unreleased Jay Electronica album that is now floating around the internet. :ohhh:
thank you for putting up new links.

oh, and I don't THINK it's real. IT IS REAL. :rofl:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

thanks for the link, gonna peep tonight
1. Nas
2. Drake

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

on the reddit link above:

"Some lyrics from "Killer Instinct" here were later used on the song "Dealing". Pretty interesting."

this dude posted this song off that album on YouTube back in May last year. over 7 months ago.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

it's obv him 2 mins into listening, why did anybody ever doubt MB?

....... well, he did briefly consider whether that white ukrainian dude was actually nas...
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Wack beats, couple cool verses. Particularly fairyality tale and supreme mathematics. You can see the seeds of him developing into a dope mc.

Real question is how u manage to put together an album then and then not another one in 15 years you directionless pondering failure.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:it's obv him 2 mins into listening, why did anybody ever doubt MB?

....... well, he did briefly consider whether that white ukrainian dude was actually nas...
ha ha, yeah like half of New York too :rofl:

as if Your Old Droog isn't the craziest Nas style biter in rap history

anyways, this is obviously a young Jay Electronica when you listen to it. All the god damn space rap ALLAH b-boy content is the same, and the flows too

its better than MOST of the shit that dropped in the last few years, even if its 15 years old! :cas:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:Wack beats, couple cool verses. Particularly fairyality tale and supreme mathematics. You can see the seeds of him developing into a dope mc.

Real question is how u manage to put together an album then and then not another one in 15 years you directionless pondering failure.
:rofl: well the thing is Jay Electronica had a speech impediment. I saw him stutter like he was freezing cold in an interview that he did up here in Toronto. After seeing that, I was like "yo, I understand why Roc Nation doesn't want to put him out under media scrutiny... he would be devoured." He needed industry grooming and training for a few years, I saw that with my own two eyes. Especially in year one of Rock The Bells in Toronto, when Jay Elec got mad at the soundman for his own poor mic control, and threw a cordless mic a hundred feet into the audience at the end of his set :bunk:

he's better now but he needed to work on the intangibles for quite some time, that did become evident.

ALL THAT BEING SAID: FUCK THIS SHIT NOW CAUSE IT'S NO LONGER CUTE. IT'S JUST A BAD INVESTMENT OF TIME & MONEY FOR ROC NATION AND HIP HOP CULTURE :fail:

it's actually negligent irresponsibility at this point. hip hop needs new leadership, and I thought Jay Elec was that guy. GUESS NOT KANYESHRUG

y'all see that Elzhi is being sued for not dropping an album that he got like $40,000 from Kickstarter from? Jay Elec and him need to talk :omar:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

some of the tracks are on that space god shit, some of them seem like he's going for the typical gangster route. honestly i don't see myself revisiting this album much because of the production. a couple very nice verses (possibly three).

weird about the speech impediment, never heard about that. it's interesting that you bring up artist development, but on the real i don't think that's the case here. dude was already throwing together cohesive EPs before he signed (spotless mind, that 6 track act 2 demo) and dropping professional level songs with just. and he went ahead and recorded the album, just never finished it off/polished it, according to just. the interview is probably somewhere in this thread where just says the album is done, only a few tracks need re-takes of the vocals. maybe your stuttering theory sheds some light on that.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

only 2 songs in but holy shit this is great

undeniably jay elec, its not even a question

b.radio

Post by b.radio »

who even cares at this point

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

b.radio wrote:who even cares at this point
going by the dull thud this thing landed with, not many

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

It's like Nas picked the beats with help from Ras Kass. But the rapping is on point.

"Get Busy" prob my fav cut.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

oh yeah.

Jay Elec killed ALLLLLLLLL his momentum.

last summer might have been his last chance for a decent debut to happen.

now it's like debuting a new artist that the public don't really care about. Exhibit C was like 7 years ago damn near.

I wonder what Jay-Z thinks when he sees Jay Electronica now :ohhh: :naswtf:

dubs

Post by dubs »

Where can I hear this at now? Is there a link that's still up?
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Definitely see why he wouldn't want this to leak. It's baffling that an album could be produced that badly. How does that even happen?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^fisher price drum machine

re-up
https://www.sendspace.com/file/t4gm8z

Mindbender Futurama wrote: I wonder what Jay-Z thinks when he sees Jay Electronica now :ohhh: :naswtf:

remember when jay said he just signs new rappers so as to stifle them, so they don't rise up against him?
1. Nas
2. Drake

Kace

Post by Kace »

About the stuttering thing. When I met Jay Electronica on his first :bork: tour in Europe he talked about his stage fright and how he usually needed to down at least half a bottle of Jack Daniels right before his rap performance.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Kace wrote:About the stuttering thing. When I met Jay Electronica on his first :bork: tour in Europe he talked about his stage fright and how he usually needed to down at least half a bottle of Jack Daniels right before his rap performance.
same here. he did that twice in Toronto, I seen it and heard it with my own two eyes. I never heard anyone write about it on the internet, I say it about Jay Electronica because I fucking saw it in real life.

I've been a journalist for over 10 years and I know which artists are a hot mess. I can't imagine Roc Nation sending the Jay Elec of 5 years ago out there into the shark-filled cesspool that is the media scrum to have him promote the most hyped album of the last 5 years. HE WOULD BECOME THE NEXT CANIBUS, NO FUCKING QUESTION.

I hope he's ready. Not that anyone cares anymore. KANYESHRUG

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

instead he became the next saigon. at least bis put out some albums.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

This song > anything Jay EDM has ever released

"Canibus practices in a room with 1000 candles lit, Meditatin' on this rap shit"

Canibus w/ Rakim - I'll Bust 'Em, You Punish 'Em (O.G version)

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^would be better than the album version if it didn't have that weird sound effect

let's be honest tho, jay elec has a solid verbal lateral grip, which is why we're talking about him in 2016
1. Nas
2. Drake