Aesop Rock- The Impossible Kid (new album out 4/29/16)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Brougham33

Aesop Rock- The Impossible Kid (new album out 4/29/16)

Post by Brougham33 »

I'm sure an official announcement is coming, but the first single Rings available on itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-i ... 1081790675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video is crazy.

The Impossible Kid

1Mystery Fish
2 Rings
3 Lotta Years
4 Dorks
5 Rabies
6 Supercell
7 Blood Sandwich
8 Get out of the Car
9Shrunk
10 Kirby
11Tuff
12 Lazy Eye
13 Defender
14 Water Tower
15 Molecules

hellriser

Re: Aesop Rock- The Impossible Kid (new album out 4/29/16)

Post by hellriser »

i want that album now lol

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

heat.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

So good. I've been a big Aesop fan since around the days of Float, and the idea that he still getting better over the last 15+ as an emcee/producer is mind numbing.

DLG

Post by DLG »

he's def in that one percent of rappers who keeps getting better with age.

beat is sick, flows are insane, song topic is a bit iffy tho.

like, ok bro, you never became a painter, but you became a proffesional rapper, why can't you be happy?

Y ARE YOU NEVER HAPPY, IAN?

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

love this new song, and video is dope as hell too

ive been on a huge aesop rock kick lately too

Skelethon has grown on me bigtime, and still sounds fresh as fuck whenever i listen

i was hoping for a new aesop and blockhead project but i aint mad

cant wait to hear the full album!!!!!!!!!

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

i think aesop is in the top 2-3 active rappers right now. very excited for this album.
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

wuk

Post by wuk »

how is he still so good at this
ryebread mixes. <--------download

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

:bow:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

yo that's fucking insane i just gotta stop and go :ohsh: IAN, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HEAD

beat sounds a tiny bit El-P'ish
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DLG

Post by DLG »

Hey everyone

Just some thoughts on my newly announced solo LP The Impossible Kid, coming this April 29th.

What I find myself working on most these days in regards to my writing is attempting to insert my personality, sensibilities, humor, and ideas into my lyrics in a way that feels akin to my conversational self. Finding a clever lyric to fit my narrative isn’t worth much to me if it’s not an accurate representation of the tone in which brain reacts to the world. I hope that I was able to write something that is, for better or worse, uniquely me.

I spent a year living in a barn in the woods carving out a decent portion of what would become this record - followed by a year back in an urban environment where the remainder was written and recorded. The songs deal with feeling generally displaced, reflections on my family and friends, depression, aging, rap, NY, pet-ownership, and feeling both drawn to and haunted by a desire to isolate. And some other stuff. When I write it out like that it sounds more grim than it is, and I hope I was able to convey the humorous lining in the dark times, and the evil hiding in the good. I find it increasingly rare to be consumed by one emotion entirely without finding evidence of a few other things in there.

This record is entirely produced by me. At some point in my evolution as a person who creates solo albums, it became necessary to oversee and physically piece together all sounds that would contribute to the final product in order for me to truly feel like I was making a solo album. I want to be a craftsman more than a curator. This does not mean that I will not work with other producers in the future - it just means that right now this is how I have chosen to approach the concept of solo work.

I had help. The Philadelphia-based instrumental outfit The Grimace Federation, whom I have worked with before, allowed me to sample and manipulate their work which is sprinkled throughout the project. Additionally, Allyson Baker of Dirty Ghosts, and James Lynch contributed a riff each, on guitar and bass respectively. There are no real vocal features on the record in the traditional sense, however friends Rob Sonic, Official Kimya Dawson, Hanni El Khatib, and Chuck D. all donated their time and pipes in various places. Carnage The Executioner supplied a beatbox, and all scratches were performed by DJ Zone. My old friend Joey Raia Mixing and Sound Design mixed the project, and we mastered at Sterling Sound, NY with Joe LaPorta. I should probably also shout out my guy The Real Blockhead who patiently listened to 8 million versions of all these songs during the entire creative process, offering advice and encouragement along the way.

I was extremely happy to get Alex Pardee Art on board to create some artwork to accompany this music. Alex is an old friend, and one of my favorite artists and people. He and I have collaborated in small ways over the years, but had yet to really combine forces on a project of this scale. I was able to share the songs and themes of the record with him, and he created the perfect world to accompany everything. He is also name-checked on the song Lotta Years, something that happened before knowing he would be a part of it all, so it felt really special to have his brain and hand involved in the visual aspects of this work. Additionally, we are working on some fantastic merch items that will be available on tour.

Director/animator Rob Shaw, who I’ve worked with in the past on videos for both Hail Mary Mallon and The Uncluded, has been taking the reigns on a ton of video content that will continue to surface over the upcoming weeks and months. I am excited for you to see more.

I guess that’s about it for now. I can not thank my supporters enough for riding along with me for all these years. I am in the rare position of being able to create this crap for a living, and not a day goes by that I am not aware and thankful for it. Tour will be announced soon.

Best

Aesop Rock

- - - - -

To pre-order The Impossible Kid, visit one of the links below:
DIGITAL: http://rse.lnk.to/AesopTIK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PHYSICAL: http://bit.ly/TheImpossibleKid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beastly Swagger

Post by Beastly Swagger »

Just spoke w/ Rob & there maybe be some bonus material for pre-orders.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Aesop Rock wrote: I should probably also shout out my guy The Real Blockhead who patiently listened to 8 million versions of all these songs during the entire creative process, offering advice and encouragement along the way.
Anything you can tell us about the album Block? Him mentioning wanting to make the lyrics akin to his conversational self has me really interested.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Beastly Swagger wrote:Just spoke w/ Rob & there maybe be some bonus material for pre-orders.
preorders with fifth element have two bonus tracks: a blockhead remix and a track with homeboy sandman and open mike eagle.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Brougham33 wrote:
Aesop Rock wrote: I should probably also shout out my guy The Real Blockhead who patiently listened to 8 million versions of all these songs during the entire creative process, offering advice and encouragement along the way.
Anything you can tell us about the album Block? Him mentioning wanting to make the lyrics akin to his conversational self has me really interested.
I mean, not much to add outside he does just keep getting better and more pin point on how he makes songs and write lyrics. This one seems more focused on specific stories and brutal honesty. There aren't really many rappers (if any) making this kind of rap music.
He's an ill perfectionist so, sometimes, he needs an outside opinion. I definitely heard that album in many forms, from the start to finish but the final product is pretty fucking great.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Blockhead wrote:
Brougham33 wrote:
I mean, not much to add outside he does just keep getting better and more pin point on how he makes songs and write lyrics. This one seems more focused on specific stories and brutal honesty. There aren't really many rappers (if any) making this kind of rap music.
He's an ill perfectionist so, sometimes, he needs an outside opinion. I definitely heard that album in many forms, from the start to finish but the final product is pretty fucking great.
so do you think its his most personal but also most accessible album?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Accessible? I'd say it's on par with the last one in that sense. There's definitely a few songs that could possibly resonate with people in a way daylight may have but it's still an Aesop Rock album. It's never gonna be truly accessible.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i'd say the None Shall Pass album was the most "accessible"

Versive

Post by Versive »

Aesessible

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

Aesthetic

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

self

Post by self »

looking forward. the lice project was one of the last newer rap stuff i was really excited about. id be if i said he wasnt an influence on stuff ive done

DLG

Post by DLG »

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2016/03/aes ... touchable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Well that was unexpected and great. Can't wait for the new album to drop.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Lyrics:
3's company, Appetite for Destruction tee, Chunky Monkey, Funyuns, I can feel the cat judging me, please, I've seen you eat your puke and drink the toilet water, which completely renders your opinion void you little fucker, poison puffers hit the reef, hissing through their missing teeth, pissy like a minotaur with 6 hours in the middle seat, or middle schoolers protesting the mystery meat and Catcher ban, castaways, walk into the same light as Carol Ann, dagger in his teeth and treat a rapper like a rack of lamb, his allergy is middling, his middle finger's Plastic Man, dag, they want a de-radicalized youth, though it sort of undermines the magic of high noon, my right hand writing a diary of the dodgy, I do the wrong thing when all the right people are watching, it's a medley of defiance and outfoxing, born in a storm's eye alongside Long Island swamp kings, bonk, shoegaze rap, get your blue suede, get used to the goofy get-a-clue face, jump into the goon goose chase, try the kool-aid, try the blue plate it tastes like dooms day, off leash gryphons at the Westminster Kennel Club, as vessels of Beelzebub, bite the hand that belly rub, lug it to belfry, keep the pups alive and healthy, we as hunters treat the summers like a mother ripe for milking, up and feeding Alexander Pardee art into the silk-screen, still here, sleeping with the lights on and quill near, tour van, corpse paint, war moon, make the bass wobble like a 2-man horse suit, dork-proof, type to forge a sword in his dorm room, break fiends, drain 3s from the warp tube, long tooth, short fuse, stormtroopers over John Zorn loops, if you ain't core it ain't for you, trolls, bubbling from the lows, want nothing but to run him for the bulk of what he owns, homie all of this material ain't shit to me, the trinketry, the filigree, the antiquated theories of validity, I never really cared for the cars, the point A to B sound scared when it starts, trash can fire in the middle of his crib, where the coven swap recipes and riddles from the crypt, it's monsoon season, keep the log flumes leanin’, religious paranoia get the Doc Seuss treatment, breaking out the Bronx Zoo, tabletop the Mongoose, gray fade, ain't afraid to knock a few cogs loose, I'm from where it's defense on 3, and anybody with a fucking brain bump Sean P, old boy, might combine the carve with the stalefish, all aboard the mid-life snail's pace tailspin, you were busy authoring the holy grail of mailed-in, I was busy snow, sleet, heavy rain, hail, wind, ready aim fail shit, it's Hail Mary’s everywhere, over all the petty shit, under all the messy hair, I'm untouchable, uncrushable, plus ill, we don't need another hero we just want our cups filled, I'm trivial pursuit cards at the 40/40 buzz kill, Aesop Rock, code name: yo son chill.

Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

For those who iTunes pre-ordered...Blood Sandwich>>>

Beat and delivery pretty impeccable.

DLG

Post by DLG »

you can hear it here

https://aesoprock.bandcamp.com/track/blood-sandwich" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;