REVISITED: Cunninlynguists - "A Piece Of Strange"

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

REVISITED: Cunninlynguists - "A Piece Of Strange"

Post by Employee »

A Piece Of Strange

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Piece_of_Strange" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Piece of Strange is the third studio album by CunninLynguists. It was released January 24, 2006, by The LA Underground, a record label based in New Mexico.[9]

The “high-concept record”[10] tells the "tale of the pathway to and from sin".[11] The album was produced entirely by Kno, and vocals are by Kno, Deacon the Villain and Natti, who joined the group prior to the recording of the album.[12] Featured guest vocalists include Cee-Lo Green, Immortal Technique, and Tonedeff.

Deacon and Kno have both cited the album's importance to their careers in interviews, with Kno calling it a "turning point" for the group.[12] CunninLynguists toured domestically and overseas in support of the album, appearing with acts such as Depeche Mode, Kanye West, Bun B, and Pharrell Williams.[13][14][15]

A Piece of Strange received widespread acclaim from critics, with XXL calling it "soulful", "raw", and "sophisticated",[16] URB calling it "a piece of beauty",[8] Scratch calling it "top-shelf",[6] CMJ calling it a "beautiful...dense opera",[17] and The A.V. Club calling it "vast and ambitious".[18]

The album's cover art is by Becky Cloonan. Cloonan's collaboration with CunninLynguists occurred following her listing their song "Love Ain't" as something she was listening to in an issue of her comic Demo.[19]

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: REVISITED: Cunninlynguists - "A Piece Of Strange"

Post by Philaflava »

Kno gets some hate, mostly online because he is a pretty open and honest dude that tends to rub some ppl the wrong way. I think the production on this album was pretty great. You can't deny that. Deacon is also slept the fuck on IMO.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

This and Dirty Acres. One two punch of great that still holds up all these years later.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Dirty Acres was an awesome album. I like it more than APOS

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Dirty Acres was an awesome album. I like it more than APOS

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

SYM wrote:This and Dirty Acres. One two punch of great that still holds up all these years later.
loved both during release. Dirty Acres held up a lot better than this.

Kno's production is awesome and still is. His backlash came when he started acting like a fag when people would name his samples on whosampled.com or whatever.

I didn't know they were doing something for the anniversary till now. Sucks the vinyl is already sold out. Would have liked to get that.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by 907 »

Loved this album, and still listen to it at least a few times a year. IMO Kno is one of the most underrated producers ever. QN5 as a label never really seemed to get the props they deserved either, Pack-FM, Tonedeff, Mecca, and the rest of them were all pretty fucking nice on the mic, and their Asterisk mixtapes were always really good. Not to mention the E-Famm album, which is one of the most slept on underground records of that era. I feel like those dudes should have AT LEAST had Anticon/Def-Jux/Eastern Conference level fame, if not Rhymesayers level, they were far too slept on for how good they were.

Gonna go revisit Southernunderground now, followed by APOS and Dirty Acres. Just a phenomenal three album run.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

insert annoying 907 post that nobody is going to read here
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

It's a personal classic for me.

As is Dirty Acres.

Eyedea

Post by Eyedea »

absolutely adored this, when it first came out...it still gets to me, havent listen to it in a minute, but I remember thinking that the next album was much more advanced production-wise, though I didn't really listen to it that much at the time... bring back some memories, time just flies...

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Philaflava wrote:Kno gets some hate, mostly online because he is a pretty open and honest dude that tends to rub some ppl the wrong way. I think the production on this album was pretty great. You can't deny that. Deacon is also slept the fuck on IMO.
I agree with most of this: basically that Deacon (and Natti for that matter) are really underrated. The production is great on this, and although I liked Kno's production during this era, I've always found him to be a pretentious clown in interviews.

But yeah, this is a personal classic for me, and pretty damn flawless minus the one verse that Kno just had to sneak in there.

Post by 907 »

gusty wingers wrote:insert annoying 907 post that nobody is going to read here

Bamn bro, between this post and your sig, you're clinging to my nuts pretty hard. Did I fuck your sister or something?
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

does anyone want to buy a mint copy of the "will rap for food" CD?

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

Great albums with great production, and good raps.