RIP Phife.

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Re: RIP Phife.

Post by Markshot »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDUlm5-I7fM/?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

damned if he might not be one of the most quotable rappers ever. he will for sure be missed. rip.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Fucked up.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

^^ happy to hear from you. any real ATCQ fan should show love and respect to brother Malik right now. still can't believe it.
SYM wrote:damned if he might not be one of the most quotable rappers ever. he will for sure be missed. rip.

THIS.

I been in amazement at the brilliance of his succinct observations.

"I never let a statue tell me how nice I am" literally is bringing me to tears now cause its like Phife was casting aside timeless jewels of wisdom in 1994 that motherfuckers in 2016 still can't comprehend, as fuckers like Macklemore win Grammys one year and then sell triple styrofoam the next year, and fools are still acting like Grammy nominations can or will validate hip hop art & culture IN ANY FUCKING WAY SHAPE OR FORM :roll: :wtf: :nut:

there is also NOT ONE VERSE in recorded rap history where Phife Dawg is trying to be anything. other. than. himself. :bow:

he is always speaking from his voice, from his mind, and from his heart. never ever ever tried to follow the temporary trends in hip hop. always made his own. why? he told everybody already: "styles upon styles upon styles is what I have."

:bow:

this is pretty cool.

http://otwaddup.com/members-of-the-1990 ... hife-dawg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phife DID own that show, and I'm so happy I was there to witness it. My first hip hop dream day come true. That afterparty was fucking epic as well, and I got A-Plus, Posdnous, Phesto and Maseo to autograph a five dollar bill I had, cause I had nothing else for autographs. I still have that money somewhere :lol:

Phife's freestyle had the party WILD. Love that brother forever.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

WiCkEd22 wrote:Image
Lol at you posting this in multiple threads

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

^2 threads, fAGbOY.

Tell real LOL is you caring... *shrugs*

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Spamming on rap forums is not a REAL or AUTHENTIC hip hop move...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

MD

Post by MD »

God damn this sucks. And to top it off...

Starks got ejected.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Posted over in the Party & Bullshit side but for those that don't go there I'd like you to read this, Peace!:

On the way to work this morning I approached a stop light in the rain. The reflection of the light on the wet Street effectivly reminded me of Phife and Tribe Called Quest. The red side of the light and the green side looked like bright paint streaks on the street. It was a heartfelt moment for me as I continue to heal from my own sickness right now. I said a prayer/rhyme. For Phife.

I can’t imagine losing someone like Phife from my team/ rest in peace to a wonderful human being/I’m hip hop but never thugging out/when I say I only respect real MCs they say CRASH, man ya buggin’ out/but I maintain love for the real and the best/I travel in their honor when on my own Quest/ I learn from teams like these/That helped shape what I’m trying to be/if you say there is greater you’re lying to me/I’ll just agree to disagree silently/ Phife taught me to be humble and just show and prove/Q tip made me vibrant in my own moves/This goes out from me to you/I respect the real and your respect is due/thanks for my instinct to travel and find peace/To all MC’s deceased before me I say R.I.P.

Sidenote: I keep re-reading this and looking at the photo and now I see Phife's green eyes looking down on 3 figures , 2 green/red and one white like an angel. Amazed I caught the photo in such a quick instant and that I remembered my freestyle enough to craft it to Something I'm proud of writing. (I did have the forethought to record what I was saying by adding it to a note pad via voice)

LONDON

Post by LONDON »

RIP to phife dawg, legend
"get this money by all means necesssary"

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujUZvwqVjA

New Phife song over J Dila production! It's called Nutshell and the video features The Jungle Brothers’ Mike Gee, De La Soul’s Posdnuos & Maseo, A Tribe Called Quest’s Q-Tip, Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Jarobi, Pete Rock, Redman and Rakim all giving testimonials to what Phife means to them, in a nutshell.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMqcyX1 ... e=youtu.be

A (recorded) Live Stream Of The Celebration Of Phife Memorial Service At The Apollo Theater

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

A transcript of Kanye's eulogy got posted by Rolling Stone here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... g-20160406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Nice.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ackbar wrote:A transcript of Kanye's eulogy got posted by Rolling Stone here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... g-20160406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even tho Ye married white, associates himself with mostly whites, especially in the corp world, he seems to have a strong disdain for whites in hip-hop. This is what stood out from that transcript, I'm rich bitch and I don't like Rosenberg talking about Tribe.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Awful eulogy and it's always gross when super-filthy-fuckin'-rich-as-fuck people lament the passing of someone as though they've been forgotten by everyone else even though the only reason they're talking about the person is because the person is deceased and it is a trending topic.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Watched pretty much the whole thing last night and man I'm really just so tired of Kanye and his bullshit. If you're trying to say something that you want to resonate at least be focused and concise. Guy just rambles from topic to topic and can never tie it all together. And I often seem to get that anti-white thing from him when it comes to Hip Hop. That whole "they took it from us" mentality is annoying. Nobody took shit. Artists gave that shit away willingly. Puff and Jay and them WANTED to blow and become what they did. Plus I'm white and I have forgotten more about Hip Hop than Kanye ever will know. :fail: @ "The Low End Theory was the first album I ever bought". WTF are you even talking about, dude? This guy is a clown on every level. Love his music but I'm going to have to stop even bothering to listen to this guy soon. It's unbearable.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

pradadon wrote:That whole "they took it from us" mentality is annoying. Nobody took shit.
i'm pretty sure he was talking about black music and culture in general.. considering the context and mention of led zeppelin

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

I bet Kanye was trying to boycott the beastie boys in elementary school :rofl:

Didn't this dude recently lay the cards on the table and let RICK RUBIN make executive creative choices on an album for him?

Phife getting all sorts of recognition post death. Probably the first time he ever had mixes devoted specifically to him.

I wonder if iTunes sales of his solo albums sky rocketed. Lol who am i kidding.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

ackbar wrote:
pradadon wrote:That whole "they took it from us" mentality is annoying. Nobody took shit.
i'm pretty sure he was talking about black music and culture in general.. considering the context and mention of led zeppelin
I know, but I'm just saying deep down he means that too. Like, he can't have it both ways is what I'm saying. Black music and black culture are a huge part of American History and he and many of his friends have gotten very wealthy by creating music and driving the culture. But it wasn't only made for Black people (especially over the last 20 years) and if it was, then he wouldn't be wealthy probably. It took a white kid in Detroit, or a Chinese kid in Beijing, or a Japanese girl in Tokyo to be part of it in order to get it where it is. We're all human and are influenced by different cultures in one way or another based on what we like, so at some point you have stop saying "they took it from us" unless you're willing to give back what you got as a result of what "they took". Again, music is a universal thing. Any human being should be able to like and create and most importantly innovate with regards to any genre of music he or she wants. Same thing with clothing. This asshole's whole style is based off of some gay white guy's vision in France or Amsterdam, but to him HE is the trend setter. He want's to act like he so important and innovative and the whole thing just annoys the shit out of me.

And also, as great as a lot of is music is, he knows little about music or music history as far as I can tell. So he shouldn't be talking shit. He's no where near as well rounded and informed as he pretends to be.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

pradadon wrote:It took a white kid in Detroit, or a Chinese kid in Beijing, or a Japanese girl in Tokyo
lmao what
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Oh i finished your post and realized you're just an idiot, nm carry on
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

That Nutshell joint is dope. Hopefully the full project drops

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

a better way to sum up pradadon's statement is that black people, especially today's youth, aren't buying music.

if they do, they cop bootlegs more than retail.

for rap to live off of solely black people's purchases, shit would have been a wrap in 1985.

oppression and an oversll misunderstanding of black culture by white youth, an interest in observing "the black CNN" made rap sales possible...

racism made this possible but it still creates more racism from the other side, in a different manner.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

y'all sound like some sensitive ass white people who got your feelings hurt tbh

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:Oh i finished your post and realized you're just an idiot, nm carry on
What I am saying makes perfect sense. If you can't grasp the idea, I guess you're the idiot. It's very simple. Black artists saying that white people, or really anyone non black have "taken" their music and culture can't have it both ways. Especially when they are bragging about having $20M homes. They would't have that without the "white kid in Detroit, or the Chinese kid in Beijing, or the Japanese girl in Tokyo" being involved and more importantly for this argument consumers of the culture and music that they provide/sell. Guys like Puff, Jay, Kanye, Drake, Future, and whoever else love that Hip Hop went commercial and global. Their very existence depends on it, especially in 2016. Hip Hop is pretty much for everyone under 30 (and many older than 30) THE music. For people of all races and creeds this is a fact. Soall I'm saying to Kanye or anyone, is spare me with the "corporate white america stole our culture" bullshit. Without that, none of these dudes would be where they are.
Last edited by stype_ones on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

ackbar wrote:y'all sound like some sensitive ass white people who got your feelings hurt tbh
I happen to be white, and I guess I can see why you would think that, but I am not sensitive at all. I am 37 years old and grew up in Queens Village, and spent years in Jamaica, Woodside, and Corona. I spent most of my life in the hood with hood dudes. I have an older brother who is 43 and when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s I was really involved with hood shit and Hip Hop shit. I never front and I choose my words very wisely. I don't speculate about anyone here because I don't know any of you obviously, but I'd be shocked if more than 25% of this board grew up how I did or around the type of people I did. Like I said, I don't front. I realize this is the type of post that herbs try to make fun of, but I'm just saying, for you to know, I'm not some herb who is just posting or playing the roll. I been there kid. I am sensitive about Hip Hop, but it's not because I'm white, it's because I grew up with this shit and I take it seriously. As I am sure many of you do, regardless of your race. I bet Kanye grew up way nicer than I did, so yes, I got problems with his bullshit tirades. That's what's corny about new school dudes. They think they can hide behind social media and can live in a world of revisionist history. But when I am on social media, everyone who follows me knows me, so I can't make shit up. It's all real.

Like I said, this is the type of post that herbs will eat up and try to abuse, but I couldn't care less. Not trying to bring Gloss into this shit, but he and I follow each other on social media. If anything, he can at least attest to the fact that I don't give a flying fuck about trying to be anything other than who I am. Least of all is a sensitive white guy,