Joey Badass' Sales >> Young Thug's

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Gyangsta 4 Life

Joey Badass' Sales >> Young Thug's

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

http://djbooth.net/news/entry/2016-03-2 ... thug-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a good article, though interesting that thugger is that much of a commercial failure. Show money must be sweet but still...

Reminds me of Kartel. King of dancehall since at least 2008, but his sales have always been meagre in comparison to 'conscious' artistes like Buju, Jr Gong, etc.

At this rate, I'm pretty certain Young Thug will never reach Wayne/Drake status (if that's still possible) but can he even reach Future/Ross level?

And how long before Lyor drops him?
Last edited by Gyangsta 4 Life on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Re: Joey Badass' Sales >> Young Thug's

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

he's been a one trick pony since the jump. a dude who sounds like wayne baby uses when wayne's not around. like MB said 2 yrs ago, this guy is going nowhere.

i like him, i like the singles he's featured on, i even like barter 6. but let's be real he's a high energy crackhead you throw onto a track to give it an x factor. dude is not standalone superstar potential, let's appreciate him for what he is.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Who cares? Thugger makes classics and Joey badass sucks
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Gyangsta 4 Life

So why's he doing benzino numbers. ?

Gyangsta 4 Life

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote: i like him, i like the singles he's featured on, i even like barter 6. but let's be real he's a high energy crackhead you throw onto a track to give it an x factor. dude is not standalone superstar potential, let's appreciate him for what he is.
I kiiinda agree but he does make great songs on his own, prolifically. He more than just a wacky sideshow or a feature guy like Jadakiss or Ludacris..or Tyga.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I live and teach high school in a city in the South. Nobody really listens to the dude. Rich Homie Quan is faaaaaaar more popular.

seagrams hotsauce

Yeah sales are definitely what makes rap good, that's why Macklemore is the best rapper. Don't be dense

step one

Post by step one »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:So why's he doing benzino numbers. ?
further evidence that Real Life >> The Internet and youtube views, insta likes and trending on twitter dont always translate into actual sales

Young Thug might have a larger fanbase (or at least people willing to talk about him online) but Joey Badass fans will drop $20 on a ltd edition 7", no questions asked.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Thugger has yet to put out an official album. You are looking at mixtape sales figures...

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:he's been a one trick pony since the jump. a dude who sounds like wayne baby uses when wayne's not around. like MB said 2 yrs ago, this guy is going nowhere.

i like him, i like the singles he's featured on, i even like barter 6. but let's be real he's a high energy crackhead you throw onto a track to give it an x factor. dude is not standalone superstar potential, let's appreciate him for what he is.
Get off Mindbender's nuts

Gyangsta 4 Life

seagrams hotsauce wrote:Yeah sales are definitely what makes rap good, that's why Macklemore is the best rapper. Don't be dense
:cheers: @ you being an insufferable fag as usual.

Macklemore sells primarily to a pop/gay audience. Doesn't count.

Gyangsta 4 Life

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:Thugger has yet to put out an official album. You are looking at mixtape sales figures...
He's been testing the waters with Barter 6 and SS3. Doesn't look too good for him.

Unless he comes with another "Lifestyle", he's not doing more than 40-50K with the album. Which is still decent in 2016. But Future doing 100K+ his last few releases.

Lyor gotta be pissed.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Anyone who actually listens to a wrapper who goes by Young Thug has already failed at life...

Gyangsta 4 Life

step one wrote:
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:So why's he doing benzino numbers. ?
further evidence that Real Life >> The Internet and youtube views, insta likes and trending on twitter dont always translate into actual sales

Young Thug might have a larger fanbase (or at least people willing to talk about him online) but Joey Badass fans will drop $20 on a ltd edition 7", no questions asked.
Are the Noz's and blastmasters of this world not as invested as the ACthePDs and WiCkEd22s?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:Thugger has yet to put out an official album. You are looking at mixtape sales figures...
He's been testing the waters with Barter 6 and SS3. Doesn't look too good for him.

Unless he comes with another "Lifestyle", he's not doing more than 40-50K with the album. Which is still decent in 2016. But Future doing 100K+ his last few releases.

Lyor gotta be pissed.
Yea I agree with you there, and I believe H!TUNES has been pushed back primarily because of the low sales figures of barter 6. Even still, it's premature to say he's a commercial failure until H!TUNES is released.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

seagrams hotsauce wrote:Yeah sales are definitely what makes rap good, that's why Macklemore is the best rapper. Don't be dense
Thread title is about sales...
1. Nas
2. Drake

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Kinda silly when he hasn't released an official album, but ok.

Joey's fans are 30-plus rap dorks who take pride in owning physical copies of music still. That's cool. He will sell more records.

Young Thugs fans are much younger and may have never unwrapped a cd case. They are also tech savvy enough to never pay for music. Thug will continue to get rich doing shows and has the luxury to put out projects like Barter 6, which simply doesn't have much commercial appeal when he wants to.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i like thugga too..... just sayin he's not method man, he's ODB.
1. Nas
2. Drake

seagrams hotsauce

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
Thread title is about sales...

comment i was responding to was about quality

seagrams hotsauce

and lol @ 'doesn't count' cuz it doesn't jive with the narrative you're selling, go suck an egg

Gyangsta 4 Life

Macklemore's previous album did like 1.5mill because it had "Thrift Shop" and that other song about gays on it. It went pop and sold well. So yes, it's an outlier. They won't easily replicate the commercial success of that album because the average rap fan is not fucking with them, and the pop audience only wanted the album with the hot song.

Their current album is doing benzino numbers in comparison. Look it up.

Gyangsta 4 Life

blastmaster wrote:Kinda silly when he hasn't released an official album, but ok.

Joey's fans are 30-plus rap dorks who take pride in owning physical copies of music still. That's cool. He will sell more records.

Young Thugs fans are much younger and may have never unwrapped a cd case. They are also tech savvy enough to never pay for music. Thug will continue to get rich doing shows and has the luxury to put out projects like Barter 6, which simply doesn't have much commercial appeal when he wants to.
I agree he'll always be paid regardless. He'll probably end up like Chief Keef, putting out for-sale mixtapes, bouncing around from situation to situation, driving other ppl's i8s. Nigga riche.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

macklemore knows it's over, that's why he's putting retiree rappers on his tracks...

apparently the LA radio stations tried to push his "downtown" track? someone on here from LA said so. too bad, it was kinda fun on a thrift shop tip. i wonder if a second single about trannies or feminists or something is coming.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

it too early to say he is a commercial failure. remember, future sold 50K on his debut first week I think...look at him now.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

what do thuggers streaming numbers look like

Guun

Post by Guun »

Thugger sold out the Trocadero in Philly and it's a month away. I'm not sure if Joey Badass could do the same.

Kace

Post by Kace »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:macklemore knows it's over, that's why he's putting retiree rappers on his tracks...

apparently the LA radio stations tried to push his "downtown" track? someone on here from LA said so. too bad, it was kinda fun on a thrift shop tip. i wonder if a second single about trannies or feminists or something is coming.
The next Macklemore hit is a protest song about evil looking statues at Columbia University.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

blastmaster wrote:Kinda silly when he hasn't released an official album, but ok.

this.
thugger is going to release 4-5 projects this year and half of them will be free. their strategy clearly has nothing to do with focusing on the sales of one album

i doubt lyor is disappointed in young thug

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Guun wrote:Thugger sold out the Trocadero in Philly and it's a month away. I'm not sure if Joey Badass could do the same.
he can sell 50k albums but can't sell 1k tickets ?
1. Nas
2. Drake

seagrams hotsauce

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
Guun wrote:Thugger sold out the Trocadero in Philly and it's a month away. I'm not sure if Joey Badass could do the same.
he can sell 50k albums but can't sell 1k tickets ?
:lol: