De La Soul - and the Anonymous Nobody

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

De La Soul - and the Anonymous Nobody

Post by Philaflava »

On first listen, Grind Date was significantly better. Production on here is rich, but not grabbing to their sound. Most of the collabos fail, especially that boring Roc Marci. I do like the jawn with David Byrne tho. Kinda disappointed with the overall album, nah fuck that, I am disappointed as hell.

1. "Genesis" (featuring Jill Scott) 1:36
2. "Royalty Capes" 3:46
3. "Pain" (featuring Snoop Dogg) 4:39
4. "Property of Spitkicker.com" (featuring Roc Marciano) 5:32
5. "Memory of… (Us)" (featuring Estelle and Pete Rock) 4:55
6. "CBGB's" 1:20
7. "Lord Intended" (featuring Justin Hawkins) 7:16
8. "Snoopies" (by De La Soul and David Byrne) 4:15
9. "Greyhounds" (featuring Usher) 5:26
10. "Sexy Bitch" 1:31
11. "Trainwreck" 3:17
12. "Drawn" (featuring Little Dragon) 5:33
13. "Whoodeeni" (featuring 2 Chainz) 4:31
14. "Nosed Up" 3:57
15. "You Go Dave (A Goldblatt Presentation)" 1:20
16. "Here in After" (featuring Damon Albarn) 5:41
17. "Exodus" 3:24

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: De La Soul - and the Anonymous Nobody

Post by drizzle »

I like the Roc Marci song but it feels more like Roc ft De La and not the other way around
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Not sure I can say where I'd place it in the De La discography, but its definitely not as good as grind date. The fact that they used live instrumentation that was then sampled definitely limits the beats but it also makes the album pretty cohesive. I think its generally decent but I can't disagree with Phila on it being disappointing, especially considering its been 11 years since their last album. There's still some joints though.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Dude, I hope you weren't expecting them to remake Grind Date with this album. Shit was 10 to 11 years ago and it'd be wack of them to do that album again. Haven't heard the whole thing but its cool so far. Best song they got was with 2Chainz, imo.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

the thing is, how much can you reasonably expect from a group of 45+ yo rappers who haven't put out an album in 12 years.

it feels reductive to write them off just for age and long absence, especially at this point where rap is fumbling to figure out what do with aging and it's own history and generational changes, but this applies to almost any genre. reunions of aging veteran groups who have been out of the spotlight for a long time rarely deliver. Division Bell wasn't exactly a masterpiece either.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

step one

Post by step one »

The random selection of guests is putting me off listening to this a bit. Just can't see how it would be cohesive.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

HUUUGE DE LA fan and was looking forward to this. Dissappointed immensely. Songs are pretty bad imo. Or it just wasn't for me and made directly for Norwegian Festival fans.

step one

Post by step one »

The guests make it seem like they wanted to get over to as many people as possible. No problem with that I suppose but it's hard to make a solid rap album at the same time.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

sounds like de la to me

dope album

Cyn0zure

Post by Cyn0zure »

Get out of your box. It doesn't sound like what you'd expect, but it's a cohesive well produced album with some pretty high points. Really like drawn, here in after, whoodeni, greyhounds, and exodus. Not a classic by any means but a really solid showing and I struggle to think of an album other than life is good that's this good this late in a rappers / groups career.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Havent listened yet... But after a 12 year Hiatus... Stakes is High

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Nah they had a shit load of money and complete freedom to do what they want with this album. Even at their age, I was expecting something to gravitate to. The guests spots like Step said are a bit off-putting. Maybe this is their last chance to cash in, but I can assure you the only cake they're seeing off this album is whatever is left over from that crowd funding shit.

Is Prince Paul not available for a fucking skit? Throw me a bone why don'tcha.

step one

Post by step one »

Cyn0zure wrote:I struggle to think of an album other than life is good that's this good this late in a rappers / groups career.
Life Is Good had about 3 good tracks on it though.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Masta Ace is still making good music.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Still haven't listened but will check this tonight.
Philaflava wrote:Masta Ace is still making good music.
Ace's new shit is good?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Rhyme 4 Rhyme wrote:Still haven't listened but will check this tonight.
Ace's new shit is good?
I think so and he is 2 years older (49) than both Posdnous & Trugoy.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

not in 2016, he isn't.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

narrow minds

its a shame that when something good like this happens its still not good enough

step one

Post by step one »

sleazy_j wrote:
not in 2016, he isn't.
Falling Season wasn't his best but still got a good reception.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:Nah they had a shit load of money and complete freedom to do what they want with this album. Even at their age, I was expecting something to gravitate to. The guests spots like Step said are a bit off-putting. Maybe this is their last chance to cash in, but I can assure you the only cake they're seeing off this album is whatever is left over from that crowd funding shit.

Bruh, they're not going to remake the same shit they did with Prince Paul years ago. Posdonus and Trugoy even said in their Breakfast Club interview their biggest issue was the labels trying to get them to do another "Me, Myself, & I" back i the day when they wanted to keep trying new shit however they see it fits. Might as well get over it now. The album isn't for you and that's cool. Just go back to the earlier albums, the AOIs, and the Grind Date joints, and be happy.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ardamus wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Nah they had a shit load of money and complete freedom to do what they want with this album. Even at their age, I was expecting something to gravitate to. The guests spots like Step said are a bit off-putting. Maybe this is their last chance to cash in, but I can assure you the only cake they're seeing off this album is whatever is left over from that crowd funding shit.

Bruh, they're not going to remake the same shit they did with Prince Paul years ago. Posdonus and Trugoy even said in their Breakfast Club interview their biggest issue was the labels trying to get them to do another "Me, Myself, & I" back i the day when they wanted to keep trying new shit however they see it fits. Might as well get over it now. The album isn't for you and that's cool. Just go back to the earlier albums, the AOIs, and the Grind Date joints, and be happy.

Oh sorry, I just figured this was good click bait material.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

i very much enjoyed this album.
real good to drive around at night and listen with my sibling who is visiting from texas.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:
ardamus wrote:

Oh sorry, I just figured this was good click bait material.
Stop lying. :lol:
We can discuss this on your reboot of the show, too.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

they bring it on the raps as always... but honestly just disappointed with the production

biggest de la stan ever and i loved the entire concept of sampling jam sessions... but for whatever reason it just didnt vibe with me on first listen

watching this is helping me warm up to it a little:

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

madstadik wrote:Havent listened yet... But after a 12 year Hiatus... Stakes is High
haha No doubt.

I still haven't listened. I have the Vinyl LP in-transit now, but I'm still thinkin about DL'ing the album and burning it to CD for the car for my first listen.

It's sad to say, and I don't want to be negative, but I'm positive that I'll be disappointed. *shrugs*

Yup.

I was disappointed with his latest album The Falling Season and really disappointed with last years eMC album, but overall Ace is still makin good new HipHop music, 28 fuckin years later!

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Really impressive album on first listen. I'm quite glad this was made. Worth all the hype too.

@ sean: yeah. definitely better to delve into at night on a long drive.

Sounds great on the Echo.

step one

Post by step one »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
madstadik wrote:Havent listened yet... But after a 12 year Hiatus... Stakes is High
haha No doubt.

I still haven't listened. I have the Vinyl LP in-transit now, but I'm still thinkin about DL'ing the album and burning it to CD for the car for my first listen.

It's sad to say, and I don't want to be negative, but I'm positive that I'll be disappointed. *shrugs*

Yup.

I was disappointed with his latest album The Falling Season and really disappointed with last years eMC album, but overall Ace is still makin good new HipHop music, 28 fuckin years later!
You've bought an album on vinyl that you haven't heard yet and are positive it will disappoint you ? Good work.

Also, upgrade your car stereo.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

I dunno, I'm a huge De La Stan, so maybe I'm a tad biased, but - after about a half dozen listens front-to-back - I'm floored by this LP. To me it's the spiritual heir to Buhloone Mindstate and their best album since "Stakes". And I liked Grind Date quite a bit. There's something for everyone on here, and that's quite a feat. "Spitkicker" is a straight up head shit. "Pain" could be thrown on at any block party. "Whoodeeni" for the Hot 97 Crowd. "Drawn" for the Pitchfork staff. "Snoopies" for the web admin. And "Royalty Capes" for me. Thanks De La! But this album plays great all the way through. Extremely cohesive.

And why are people still listening to records once and making a decision on them? When has this ever worked out well for anyone?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Busta Ry wrote: And why are people still listening to records once and making a decision on them? When has this ever worked out well for anyone?
Oh just about every classic album ever made. You're right, this can grow one me, but I know what it is for the most part. Your co-workers can grow on you, but when you meet them you know they're a dime or a nickle or somewhere in between at first glance.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Philaflava wrote:
Busta Ry wrote: And why are people still listening to records once and making a decision on them? When has this ever worked out well for anyone?
Oh just about every classic album ever made. You're right, this can grow one me, but I know what it is for the most part. Your co-workers can grow on you, but when you meet them you know they're a dime or a nickle or somewhere in between at first glance.
Comparing De La Soul albums to co-workers is a sad state of affairs.

Anyways, I like this. Can see how everyone here would be disappointed if they're expecting a follow-up to Grind Date. But that doesn't really make much sense, as most of what De La has been doing since Grind Date -- "Feel Good Inc," Are You In?, playing non-hip-hop music festivals around the world -- has been pointed in a very different direction.

Plus, the Kickstarter mentioned that the album was going to include David Byrne, Little Dragon, etc., so I have to imagine the people who were actually supporting this weren't expecting AOI or Grind Date type tracks.

I like it. It's weird and fun and different from what they've done before, as well as what everyone else is doing, and that's what De La Soul is all about. Also, regardless of how you feel about the music, the rhymes are just fucking incredible.