Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

thoughts on this album?

Post by Philaflava »

It dropped 17 years ago on this day.

hessbz12

Re: thoughts on this album?

Post by hessbz12 »

Honestly, I was pretty disappointed in this album. There were a couple good tracks on it, but given where he was in his career at that time, I expected a lot more. Not really a fan and didn't really age well for me. Just my honest opinion.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Always thought Mos was a super talented rapper and, at the time, had high hopes for this album. But the production was sooooo boring to me I could never get into it. It's one of those albums that, when people praise it to me like it's classic I wonder if they're just saying that cause they think they're supposed to think that.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Blockhead wrote:Always thought Mos was a super talented rapper and, at the time, had high hopes for this album. But the production was sooooo boring to me I could never get into it. It's one of those albums that, when people praise it to me like it's classic I wonder if they're just saying that cause they think they're supposed to think that.
pretty much this
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I liked it but hardly go back to it. Can't front on tracks like "Mathematics" and "New World Water" that were stand outs at the time. I might be more of a fan of The Estactic at this point because he went back to what made him truly great.
Blockhead wrote:Always thought Mos was a super talented rapper and, at the time, had high hopes for this album. But the production was sooooo boring to me I could never get into it. It's one of those albums that, when people praise it to me like it's classic I wonder if they're just saying that cause they think they're supposed to think that.
Really can't agree with this. Maybe because of what the album meant to me with a lot of the meaning of the topics on the album. The production fit with the lyrics and everything. If this was The New Danger, I'd agree more.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I don't think it's classic but it's super important. I suppose the album means more to me than the music itself. This solidified Rawkus and championed the indie movement. When I think Rawkus or indie hip-hop, I think Mos Def. Before there was Jay Elec, Kendrick, Chance or whoever, there was Mos Def.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Operation Doomsday and the 2 Soundbombing comps are much more representative of the NY indie rap boom than this bag of shite. Umi Says might be the worst song to ever appear on a rap album.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:

I don't think it's classic but it's super important. I suppose the album means more to me than the music itself. This solidified Rawkus and championed the indie movement. When I think Rawkus or indie hip-hop, I think Mos Def. Before there was Jay Elec, Kendrick, Chance or whoever, there was Mos Def.
I mean...sounds like you like it in theory more than in practice which was kinda my point. It's just not that great an album. I agree that it came at an important time and was , in that moment, huge for the movement but, as an album, It's boring and a let down when you consider what Mos def coulda done at that point in his career. Like, comparatively, when thinking of albums that were highly anticipated but ended up being underwhelming: Soul on ice>>>>BOBS

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Philaflava wrote:

Black Star album did more to "solidify Rawkus and champion the indie movement" if you're gonna use that line of argument. At least that had 2 singles which made some sort of impact.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the Black Star album eclipses Mos' solo in both quality and legacy imo

neither him nor Monch ever delivered the album that completely realized the potential implied by their early/group work and fully lived up to their pedestal status. Internal Affairs came closer to it than Black On Both sides

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:
Philaflava wrote:

Black Star album did more to "solidify Rawkus and champion the indie movement" if you're gonna use that line of argument. At least that had 2 singles which made some sort of impact.
Ms. Fat Booty was bigger than anything off Black Star and Priority Records didn't come knocking until Mos Def went gold.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Hmm...consider me in the minority I guess, but I genuinely enjoy the music on this album (not just the perceived impact) a lot. I even revisited this past year and thought to myself that it has actually aged quite well. A deserved classic for me.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

This was a dud. I'ma give it "Know That" and "Ms. Fat Booty", but the rest lackin'.

Even "Mathematics" is underwhelming, and this was the era of Premier bangeurz.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Never listened to the whole thing bc the album cover made me think he was on some back to Africa shit :omgracist: which I would've listened to once upon a time but not by the time this came out.
Singles were dope but his best song is the DJ Honda joint, imo.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Hair of the Dog wrote:Hmm...consider me in the minority I guess, but I genuinely enjoy the music on this album (not just the perceived impact) a lot. I even revisited this past year and thought to myself that it has actually aged quite well. A deserved classic for me.
Nah, I'm with you. Felt it aged well myself. Though I like The Estactic better personally....I still rock with this joint.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

KhillA wrote: his best song is the DJ Honda joint, imo.
I might agree with you on that. Travellin' Man is flawless.

Versive

Post by Versive »

"Know That" is my favorite track on here. I always loved the album's intro also.

The Ecstatic is the best album Mos Def has ever done (including Black Star) and it's not close.

I'd probably rank BOBS behind Black Star and above the rest of his solo work (except Ecstatic), but there are songs on The New Danger that are better than anything on here IMO (Sunshine and Life Is Real).

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

I can't tell if this is PF revisionist history or I'm in oblivious minority here. I consider BOBS to be an undisputed classic and to be integral to the Rawkus/indie era. Perhaps it didn't live up to all of his potential but it was damn close. I'd argue that Internal Affairs had a couple more missteps than this even though I still consider that to be a classic too. The Black Star album is great and may hold up a little better since it's shorter, but I'm genuinely shocked at the hate this album is catching on here.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I like the album a lot, but the use of the phrase "undisputed classic" to describe it is revisionist if anything. Its status as classic would be highly disputed in any forum, I imagine. It's definitely part of the Rawkus/backpacker era "canon" as it were, but to call it an undisputed classic means you're ready to rank it up there with Illmatic, 36, etc. That's wild.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

i always thought this was a good album but never, ever thought of it as classic.

Umi Says was and is my favorite song on the album.

The whole underground/independent thing for me was just a bore by 1999. Kinda wish he would have dropped his solo album in like 97, before Black Starr when he had his first 12 out.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Word Travelin Man is indeed flawless. And without a doubt I'd rather listen to The Ecstatic than this. That album is great.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:Operation Doomsday and the 2 Soundbombing comps are much more representative of the NY indie rap boom than this bag of shite. Umi Says might be the worst song to ever appear on a rap album.
Seven eyes seven horns is the definitive NY indie rap boom album.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:Operation Doomsday and the 2 Soundbombing comps are much more representative of the NY indie rap boom than this bag of shite. Umi Says might be the worst song to ever appear on a rap album.
Seven eyes seven horns is the definitive NY indie rap boom album.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:
KhillA wrote: his best song is the DJ Honda joint, imo.
I might agree with you on that. Travellin' Man is flawless.
Nah, the best music mos def has ever been a part of to this day is still his universal magnetic/if you can huh, you can hear 12" single

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

too r&b at the time for me but I appreciated it years later.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote: Nah, the best music mos def has ever been a part of to this day is still his universal magnetic/if you can huh, you can hear 12" single
Word up ock, everybody in 3rd grade had that record.

Anyhoo, I think it's a great record, even with JBL's on point analysis about Umi Says.
But I'm one of those weirdos that still likes the music they use to listen to.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Reppin Since Day 1

Post by Reppin Since Day 1 »

Wack On Both Sides.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Garbage then, garbage now.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

This is the one song from it, "Speed Law," that I ever revisit:

Gets overshadowed because it's the track immediately following "Ms. Fat Booty," but it's the closest thing on B.O.B.S. to those original Mos Rawkus 12"s.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

very surprised by the negativity. always loved this album. even a song that is kind of bland musically like "Rock N Roll" was still super dope to me because the message was powerful. not a lot of rappers at that time took those kinds of risks ... other than dead prez's Let's Get Free, which came out a year later.
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed