Ghostface Killah - Iron Man

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

Ghostface Killah - Iron Man

Post by stype_ones »

Turns 20 tomorrow. Discuss this classic while listening to this dope mix by It's Overture presented by Up North Trips.

https://soundcloud.com/itsoverturelives ... e-iron-age" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Re: Ghostface Killah - Iron Man

Post by stype_ones »

Ghost's 1996 article/interview from Egotrip

http://www.egotripland.com/the-iron-man ... -unmasked/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Probably my favorite :wutang: solo. Definitely my favorite :sherlock: album. SC is fantastic, but this was the start of everything I loved about Tony Starks. Most opt for OB4CL or even Liquid Swords, but this right here is my pick. The production is insane.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

second only to OBFCL

you can have any color you want but it'll be like blue and cream

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Yeah, I still take OB4CL over this, but this album is so fuckin good. Was just blasting that mix, some crazy blends and mixes with the originals. Gonna be an Ironman weekend for me for sure.

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

felt like it was winter the whole year this album dropped.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Sebastion Shaw wrote:felt like it was winter the whole year this album dropped.
Yup.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

might actually take this over cuban. poisonous

poisonous
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Versive

Post by Versive »

With MAYBE one or two exceptions, literally every song on here is a classic. billy woods once said to me regarding Ghostface, "There was a point in time where I would sit and listen and not know how [he] did it." Still sums this album up. Hip-hop serendipity on record. Unfathomable heights of greatness.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Best Wu Album. Not Wu Solo, best Wu album. A top 5 all time album for me that will never leave that top 5 along with Illmatic. I fucking love Supreme Clientele and for about 5 or 6 years I was blinded into thinking it was better than Ironman. Then after the newness of SC wore off and I kept going back to Ironman again and again, I realized..."This might be THE best hip hop album of all time". This was the new blueprint for all solo rap albums, it covered every base and never with a compromised style. Soooooo much more versatile than just about any Wu album, but maintains it's absolute ashy knuckle rawness throughout. "All That I Got is You" one of the best songs of all time in any genre.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

ghost is one of the first to rock that jesus piece on the cover which went on to be standard rapper issue

also Daytona 500 >>>

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

unclebengi wrote:Best Wu Album. Not Wu Solo, best Wu album. A top 5 all time album for me that will never leave that top 5 along with Illmatic. I fucking love Supreme Clientele and for about 5 or 6 years I was blinded into thinking it was better than Ironman. Then after the newness of SC wore off and I kept going back to Ironman again and again, I realized..."This might be THE best hip hop album of all time". This was the new blueprint for all solo rap albums, it covered every base and never with a compromised style. Soooooo much more versatile than just about any Wu album, but maintains it's absolute ashy knuckle rawness throughout. "All That I Got is You" one of the best songs of all time in any genre.

RZA as exec producer can do no wrong. too bad the :wutang: doesn't listen to the abbot anymore.
At the height of their fame and glory, they turned on one another
Each struggling in vain for ultimate supremacy
In the passion and depth of their struggle
The very art that had raised them to such Olympian heights was lost
Their techniques vanished
1. Nas
2. Drake

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

After The Smoke Is Clear is the epitome of :wutang:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

And this is basically the best shit ever..

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

To put it simply, the production is better on Iron Man, but Ghosts rappin is better on Supreme Clientele...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:To put it simply, the production is better on Iron Man, but Ghosts rappin is better on Supreme Clientele...

Was the Delfonics on SC?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:
GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:To put it simply, the production is better on Iron Man, but Ghosts rappin is better on Supreme Clientele...

Was the Delfonics on SC?
Touche

ANU

Post by ANU »

SC >

step one

Post by step one »

Ironman is a top 5 Wu Tang album. Supreme Clientele is the best GFK album though. I don't really compare it to that first batch of Wu albums that came out from 93-98
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

ironman has better beats tho
1. Nas
2. Drake

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Love it but not as much as everyone else on here. Clientele > Ironman without question for me.

Versive

Post by Versive »

They're both amazing across the board, but IMO, Supreme's best songs -- One, Saturday Nite, Apollo Kids, Ghost Deini, Buck 50, Mighty Healthy -- aren't touching Ironman's best -- Iron Maiden, Daytona 500, Fish, Winter Warz, Motherless Child, All that I Got.

The Daytona 500 video is some art history type shit. Stuff to leave behind for the aliens.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

more into clientele myself

step one

Post by step one »

I mean, playing the 2 off against each other is kind of daft. You'd be hard pushed to find someone who likes one and hates the other (although I'm sure a YouTube comments section somewhere will prove me wrong)
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I love both but I rarely listen to SC these days while I def listen to Ironman at least a couple of times per year.

Both classics in their own right.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

step one wrote:Ironman is a top 5 Wu Tang album. Supreme Clientele is the best GFK album though. I don't really compare it to that first batch of Wu albums that came out from 93-98
Iron Man shows off Ghost more in the context of RZA's overall vision for the Wu, while on SC it feels like we see Ghost more from his own perspective. The former obviously benefits hugely from RZA's touch, but the latter is a better representation of Ghost as a solo artist. In retrospect, the framework of Wu mythology that RZA imposes maybe even feels a little restrictive to Ghost's widescreen creative free-association. But with that said, RZA's presence was clearly instrumental to Ghost's development as an artist, he probably couldn't have made something like SC without it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^100

liquid swords, cuban lynx, ironman are pretty much wu/RZA albums. there's some interview where GZA says he had no idea what liquid was gonna sound like til RZA played it back for him.
1. Nas
2. Drake

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

drizzle wrote:
step one wrote:Ironman is a top 5 Wu Tang album. Supreme Clientele is the best GFK album though. I don't really compare it to that first batch of Wu albums that came out from 93-98
Iron Man shows off Ghost more in the context of RZA's overall vision for the Wu, while on SC it feels like we see Ghost more from his own perspective. The former obviously benefits hugely from RZA's touch, but the latter is a better representation of Ghost as a solo artist. In retrospect, the framework of Wu mythology that RZA imposes maybe even feels a little restrictive to Ghost's widescreen creative free-association. But with that said, RZA's presence was clearly instrumental to Ghost's development as an artist, he probably couldn't have made something like SC without it.
Superb claims that he had a huge influence on the style Ghost used on SC, and even claims he ghostwrote for Ghost (no pun intended)...