8Ball & MJG - On The Outside Looking In
No votes
Method Man - Tical
2%

Total votes: 43

stype_ones

Re: The Battle of '94

Post by stype_ones »

Kool Max Power wrote:94 was the most amazing year for hip hop since 88.

voted for organized, but word...life and darkside are also unique recordings on a similar level.

instead of mop, tical and that mediocre brand nubian album, you should have included saafir's boxcar sessions.
It wouldn't have made much of a difference. Same goes for Gravediggaz and Casual Fear Itself. Might get a vote or 2, but clearly the albums that got more votes are what people were feeling. It does go to the overall integrity of the poll to have a couple of better selections but it's whatever really. Surprised Common didn't get any love at all thus far. That album was really dope.

That Brand Nubian album and even the 8 MJG joint are marginal and def should have been swapped for others mentioned.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

KhillA wrote:

voted for organized, but word...life and darkside are also unique recordings on a similar level.

instead of mop, tical and that mediocre brand nubian album, you should have included saafir's boxcar sessions.

Also never realized how much people liked stress. These polls bring out the worst in people imo.

:cheers:
What's your feelings on that album? Why do you think choosing that is "bringing out the worst in people"? That album is top notch.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Also, man, Tical was a disappointment. I mean, it's still a good album, but the expectations were never met. Then again, they were so high it would have been hard to reach. Although Snoop and Nas had similar expectations and met them lovely.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I went with Word... Life. It has aged as well any early 90s album. OC was perfect on this album.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

pradadon wrote:
KhillA wrote:

Also never realized how much people liked stress. These polls bring out the worst in people imo.

:cheers:
What's your feelings on that album? Why do you think choosing that is "bringing out the worst in people"? That album is top notch.
I don't like Monch but did like the album. I started disliking it with time. And I'm a hater.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Tical was severely unwhelming. The all i need single made a lot of heads forget that lol

Thun

Post by Thun »

Pete Rock & CL Smooth have the only perfectly produced album on this list.

dubs

Post by dubs »

Ready to die. I wasnt really into all the super undaground raps til years later.l
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thun wrote:Pete Rock & CL Smooth have the only perfectly produced album on this list.
Cl smooth's rapping though...ehhhhhh

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blockhead wrote:
Thun wrote:Pete Rock & CL Smooth have the only perfectly produced album on this list.
Cl smooth's rapping though...ehhhhhh
"It's On You," "The Sun Won't Go Out," "I'll Take You There," and "Places and Spaces" are all great performances. The other tracks aren't as strong lyrically but flow and delivery are always top notch.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

CL Smooth gets shitted on way too much. He's really not that bad. I put him on the same tier as Guru.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

lemonade was a popular drink

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:CL Smooth gets shitted on way too much. He's really not that bad. I put him on the same tier as Guru.
In the sense that they both had iconic great voices, sure. But lyrically, I always thought he was pretty corny with a few bright spots sprinkled in. Not Jazzmatazz guru levels corny but still. I never thought about it much during that era but I recall going back and listening to Cl in the late 90's and thinking :meh:
Guru on "Daily operation" >>>>>>>> any shit CL smooth ever did.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

CL was very unique MC. Just had a different flow and wordplay about him that made him ill. It's not always about who is rhyming exactly the best line for line. Guru is a good comparison although he is the better MC IMO.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

CL's rhymes worked. Kinda like Phife. Nobody is mistaking them for top 30 emcees, but they complimented their partner IMO.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:CL's rhymes worked. Kinda like Phife. Nobody is mistaking them for top 30 emcees, but they complimented their partner IMO.
Oh for sure. No doubt at all...but, to me, he's what holds back some of those album from being top tier. It's still great music though.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Blockhead wrote:
Philaflava wrote:CL's rhymes worked. Kinda like Phife. Nobody is mistaking them for top 30 emcees, but they complimented their partner IMO.
Oh for sure. No doubt at all...but, to me, he's what holds back some of those album from being top tier. It's still great music though.
You don't love this shit?
You want a slow wind under my ceiling fan, read books
And beat me at chess, but as for rocking you, who's the best?
It's all good and correct with no disrespect
Skirt chasing hits, taking love to Digable Planets

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Both MCs were far out shined by their producers which makes them average and similar. I can't think of too many others where the margin of talent within the group is so big (producer/mc wise).