thoughts on this album? (wrath of the math)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

KhillA

Re: thoughts on this album?

Post by KhillA »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I think Sun Rises had better songs, but this is probably the better overall album.
I've always felt the same. Both classics to me though.

And it's too bad Jeru and Premier had a falling out after the 2nd album cuz Jeru's music was never the same unfortunately. At least their cool again and are rumored to have been recording new music the last few years...
Premier is the type of dude that avoids conflict at all costs (not an admirable trait imo) but he had to basically pick between Jeru and Biggie right? He obviously chose correctly.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

KhillA wrote:
WiCkEd22 wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I think Sun Rises had better songs, but this is probably the better overall album.

And it's too bad Jeru and Premier had a falling out after the 2nd album cuz Jeru's music was never the same unfortunately. At least their cool again and are rumored to have been recording new music the last few years...
Premier is the type of dude that avoids conflict at all costs (not an admirable trait imo) but he had to basically pick between Jeru and Biggie right? He obviously chose correctly.
No.

Not long after Life After Death, Jeru and Premier stopped working together as a result of a “financial dispute”. It was Jeru who bounced cuz of that. Remember his diss joint towards the Gang Starr Foundation called FRIENDS?

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
KhillA wrote:
WiCkEd22 wrote:

No.

Not long after Life After Death, Jeru and Premier stopped working together as a result of a “financial dispute”. It was Jeru who bounced cuz of that. Remember his diss joint towards the Gang Starr Foundation called FRIENDS?

Ummm...that's basically what I said without spelling it all out. What do you think financial dispute refers to in this context? And it predates what u mention and goes deeper. I know you're not a player but you are playing yourself.

KhillA

Re: thoughts on this album? (wrath of the math)

Post by KhillA »

i got off two track jokes off this tread however corny they may be. If black guys still posted I could probably get off the frustrated nigga one for the trifecta but I've kinda lost hope

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

So, out of curiosity bought on by this thread , I relistened to this today and holy shit...he's pretty bad on this album at points. Like, his flow on "Black cowboy" is comically terrible. It's like he was given one take , fucked it up and primo was like "it's fine! next song!". and his writing is so fucking lazy. It's really worse than i remember. Time has not been kind to his rapping on this album.
The beats are incredible though so it's still pretty listenable despite Jeru's failings.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I concur w/ all of Block's thoughts on this album. I'd even take it a step further and say it's a serious step down beatwise from Sun Rises. I mean it's Primo, but it's from a time when he was really beginning to repeat himself a lot. Really the rhymes aren't even that great on Sun Rises, but the overall vibe and aesthetic of that album was so original that it didn't matter (plus pretty much EVERY beat on Sun Rises is memorable as fuck).

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

fuck now i gotta re-listen to this shit today.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Good album. One Day is such a sick beat.

The Sun Rises in the East is better though, and a top 10 hip hop album all-time imo.

Kace

Post by Kace »

It's great, on par with the Sun Rises. Also one of the first hip hop albums I ever copped on vinyl :wicked:
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

I love this album to the point where I pretty much stopped reading The Source after they gave it a 3 Mic review. I'd almost equate it with finding out that someone is an anti-vaxxer. We just can't coexist no more.

The Group Home Livin Proof thread is amusing because that album is a straight up fucking tragedy. You guys must have been talking about the instrumental LP? That's the only way I can wrap my mind around this shit when comparing & contrasting with this thread.

Block, you are a superstar in the pizzagate chronicles, but something went terribly wrong in here. I'd take the weakest track on Wrath Of The Math over Aesoprock's entire discography. And I like some of Aesoprock's earliest shit, don't get me wrong.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Roy Johnson wrote:I love this album to the point where I pretty much stopped reading The Source after they gave it a 3 Mic review. I'd almost equate it with finding out that someone is an anti-vaxxer. We just can't coexist no more.

The Group Home Livin Proof thread is amusing because that album is a straight up fucking tragedy. You guys must have been talking about the instrumental LP? That's the only way I can wrap my mind around this shit when comparing & contrasting with this thread.

Block, you are a superstar in the pizzagate chronicles, but something went terribly wrong in here. I'd take the weakest track on Wrath Of The Math over Aesoprock's entire discography. And I like some of Aesoprock's earliest shit, don't get me wrong.
Very necessary point. :roll: That's apples and oranges and acting like my opinion is less relevant cause of some music I made? That's retarded.
But I will stand by my current take on wrath of the math. It doesn't hold up, lyrically. I mean, sit here and listen to "Black cowboys" and tell me he's not terrible on it. Off beat, corny and lazy. It's REALLY bad. The beats are dope though. I'll take Group home's debut over this any day cause the rapping is entertainingly bad (and the beats are better). At least malachi is funny bad. Jeru, on this album is more like awkwardly bad. Also, keep in mind, I liked this album a lot when it came out but revisiting was really a :ohsh: moment.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Not even a question that I'd rather listen to Livin Proof than Wrath of the Math today. I like the Jeru album and was rocking it kinda hard when it came out, but Livin Proof has the better beats and straight up just the better tracks overall. Agree that Jeru was sloppy and uninspired for the most part throughout.

Can't get down with someone saying Jeru's lyrics weren't crazy on Sun Rises, though. He killed every single track on that album lyrically.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^Love that album and he was on some different shit on that. No denying that.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Blockhead wrote:Very necessary point. :roll: That's apples and oranges and acting like my opinion is less relevant cause of some music I made? That's retarded.
I was just busting your balls. :cheers:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

this album is to jewelz as sun rises is to word life