RIP UGHH

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

RIP UGHH

Post by drizzle »

https://www.undergroundhiphop.com/blogs ... s-farewell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:borksign:
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

DJCommunist

Re: RIP UGHH

Post by DJCommunist »

:sad:

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

End of an era

Versive

Post by Versive »

Wow, that's crazy. Didn't they open a brick and mortar location too?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Versive wrote:Wow, that's crazy. Didn't they open a brick and mortar location too?
Yeah and I am sure that is the main reason for this. Same shit happened to HHS. The minute you add all that overhead it's a death sentence.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

http://forums.undergroundhiphop.com/rea ... ID=2878124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

I just hit up Quest asking if he'll sell it to me.

Stay tuned.

-MK
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

lol at wicked in that thread condemning people for being on facebook.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Cockhead wrote:
lol at wicked in that thread condemning people for being on facebook.
That's not me, moron. I'm WiCkEd22, just like I am on here. What's funny is a rogue mod banned me and deleted my entire 15+ year posting history. I'm posting under W!CkEd22 right now until Quest unbans me and restores my history.

Anyways, pretty sad news... gonna miss that place. Quest should just let it die though. If someone else takes over its gonna be ruined. But yeah this February would be 16 years for me posting there. Pretty crazy. I was browsing the UGHH forums for 2-3 years prior to signing up in Feb 2001. What sucks most is losing the UGHH store as I have consistently bought from there for the last 9-10 years at least 1 order per month, sometimes 3. What's crazy is Vinyl sales have continued to go up the last 5-6 years but I guess with Vinyl Digital and HHV out in Germany carrying a ton of US releases over the past few years, I guess that's hurt UGHH's business. It's gonna be pretty gay for me to be ordering US release shit from overseas even though I already place orders from Vinyl Digital and HHV pretty regularly anyways. In case people don't know, Sandbox Automatic is on the rise again and they have $3 flat rate shipping here in the USA. Their Vinyl section is pretty minimal right now but I can only see that changing after UGHH closes. Fat Beats does carry some shit, but not nearly the amount UGHH would carry.

I wonder if Jason will see a lot of people coming here to post...

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:I just hit up Quest asking if he'll sell it to me.

Stay tuned.

-MK
:cheers:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I think Mike thinks some creative SEO will change the outcome, but I'm almost certain the physical store is the cause of this. If you eliminate the overhead, and do a mail order out of a house (like say Sandbox does now), with zero staff on payroll and zero expenses that come with owning a B&M, then you can survive. But the other component is that people just do not BUY music. Not enough. Many talk it. Some support it, but not nearly enough to run a succesful business. I admire Quest for following his dreams and making it into a reality. Keeping the site this long is truly an amazing feat in itself.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Dang RIP. Had good times on there before moving to the :phila:

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:I admire Quest for following his dreams and making it into a reality. Keeping the site this long is truly an amazing feat in itself.
This sounds nice on paper, but you have to admit there's a part of you that feels pride about :phila: outlasting UGHH

Slack Jaw

Post by Slack Jaw »

RIP

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

#GlossWon

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Oh lord I fear a great migration of posters from ughh to phila. On the one hand, I would welcome more hip-hop related discussion. On the other hand, if entire threads get devoted to Vinnie Paz.....

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I admire Quest for following his dreams and making it into a reality. Keeping the site this long is truly an amazing feat in itself.
This sounds nice on paper, but you have to admit there's a part of you that feels pride about :phila: outlasting UGHH
Haha. Truth is, I never had any beef with Adam. Maybe, one time I caught wind of something on his forums that I didn’t like and I personally called him up on his cell and he handled it immediately. That was my contact with him. Look, he ran an online business, then an actual record store. It would be rather presumptuous to assume what those responsibilities are like. I know the struggle just to get feedback on my podcast, so it has to be 1000x worse when people are all “supportive” and all over his forums all day long and don’t actually purchase the records from his shop. It’s a challenge but he outlasted HipHopSite and really Sandbox because they barely exist. What I will say, I never for once thought their forums were as good as ours. Not ever. I also don’t think Adam invested as much in his forums as his business. He seemed almost disconnected to the nerdfest that took place over there during my lurking days. Make no mistake about it, UGHH definitely played a role in all of this. I remember the threads with Immortal Tech or Copywrite. It was a good place and I don’t get joy in the fact we’re one of the forums still around. Social media killed message boards and the lack of financial support killed his stores. People talk a good talk, but most don’t truly follow through with a purchase. His store was the achilles heel. All of the costs for that store front, to all of the staff on payroll, that can’t last forever. Not when 5000 people click like on a CZARFACE album, but only 500 buy it from UGHH.

So, this forum isn’t going anywhere and I already see increased traffic. From yesterday and today, there were probably about 25+ people I personally activated. If we can have fun (see Mindbender thread) and discuss music, old or new, this place will always be here.

g9hood

Post by g9hood »

ill miss ughh :sad:

pEAce/k1LLaforN1a

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Philaflava wrote:I think Mike thinks some creative SEO will change the outcome, but I'm almost certain the physical store is the cause of this. If you eliminate the overhead, and do a mail order out of a house (like say Sandbox does now), with zero staff on payroll and zero expenses that come with owning a B&M, then you can survive. But the other component is that people just do not BUY music. Not enough. Many talk it. Some support it, but not nearly enough to run a succesful business. I admire Quest for following his dreams and making it into a reality. Keeping the site this long is truly an amazing feat in itself.
Not quite. A store is not the right business model for this type of site. At best it's a loss leader. It would need to monetize in other ways.

Been trading emails with Adam. I'll let y'all know if anything comes of it.

-MK
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NWS

Post by NWS »

It's all Trump's fault.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

phila sounds like a bunch of wickeds. no thank you.
Phila is wack. Humor isn't allowed there from what I remember, they take themselves way too damn seriously.
UGHH dieing is a pretty massive end of an era type situation, I don't think it's really hit me just yet what is actually being lost here. Don't mean to sound like a fag, but damn. Losing some great
was just about to say that. pf is a bunch of 40yo's blandly talking about music. zero personality, music nerds are def. among the worst people in the world...
main reason why i like this place is the mentally ill weirdos & funny mf's like ollie
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :copy:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:
phila sounds like a bunch of wickeds. no thank you.
Phila is wack. Humor isn't allowed there from what I remember, they take themselves way too damn seriously.
UGHH dieing is a pretty massive end of an era type situation, I don't think it's really hit me just yet what is actually being lost here. Don't mean to sound like a fag, but damn. Losing some great
was just about to say that. pf is a bunch of 40yo's blandly talking about music. zero personality, music nerds are def. among the worst people in the world...
main reason why i like this place is the mentally ill weirdos & funny mf's like ollie
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :copy:
:lol: and you were trying do an intake of UGHH refugees? :lol:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

I just read those responses that Jason quoted on UGHH. hahaha

step one

Post by step one »

This is going to be like Vince McMahon taking over WCW
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

^ :lol:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:copy: is gonna take over.

g9hood

Post by g9hood »

so 2 Karma

pEAce/k1LLaforN1a

BlueSTRATOS

Post by BlueSTRATOS »

I've just joined from ughh. Always been Involved in dropping and spreading and sharing the seeds of hip hop knowledge there, Hi all and I look forward to sipping some expresso and getting into this site yall.

BlueSTRATOS

Post by BlueSTRATOS »

This place is lively Where's wicked at

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Cool post, bruh.