RIP UGHH

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

GUCCI CONDOMS

Re: RIP UGHH

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

BlueSTRATOS wrote:I've just joined from ughh. Always been Involved in dropping and spreading and sharing the seeds of hip hop knowledge there, Hi all and I look forward to sipping some expresso and getting into this site yall.

MacQ32

Post by MacQ32 »

It's back!

https://www.undergroundhiphop.com/blogs ... as-miracle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:copy: saves the day.

I'm more interested in seeing what changes are going to happen. As a store, I suppose there is only so much you can do but without that store, it isn't much of a business and that is where the trouble lies.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I'm guessing he'll introduce original content aiming for ad revenue and possibly sponsored content. Something like heading more into pigs & planes / complex direction
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Possibly, but what made UGHH what it is was the ability to give a lifeline to the hundreds of starving artists or the thousands of indie artists they featured. There is a financial gain there for many of the artists featured in there store. With barely any stores like this in existence today, UGHH was one of the few places somebody like a Hustle Crowe has at selling their products worldwide. Artists like Ray West, Snowgoons or even Estoteric greatly benefit from that place because after all, it’s putting money in their pocket and attracting eyeballs. No other retail shop is doing that, and that is what UGHH was. Right?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

these things aren't mutually exclusive. i'm not sure if they will keep the brick and mortar storefront but it seems possible they can do online retail while also being a magazine/vertical/blog whatever covering the same music they're selling. especially since a decent amount of the stuff they sell doesn't get routinely covered by other well established publications. it's good promo for their own wares, could bring new readers/customers if they expand their niche a bit, etc...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

isn't the B&M gone? i thought it was just an online store like hhs or sandbox?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

good shit, mike.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Philaflava wrote:isn't the B&M gone? i thought it was just an online store like hhs or sandbox?
The actual store has been gone for like 3+ years or so. It's been online only since...

Is it true what I'm hearing about Slug being involved in the purchase along with Ikon?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Slug is very generous, I am sure he offered a hand.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:Slug is very generous, I am sure he offered a hand.
Hold up, don't Slug run Fifth Element? Guess they were willing to help regardless of comp, too.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ardamus wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Slug is very generous, I am sure he offered a hand.
Hold up, don't Slug run Fifth Element? Guess they were willing to help regardless of comp, too.

I have no idea if Slug contributed. That's the speculation online. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Glad to see the site survive, it's sort of like a beacon for underground hip hop. Hence the name haha. I'm glad merely cuz the boards will still exist and that's where I get 95% of my hip hop info.

As someone who buys cds on the regular, if they just lowered their prices a little I would gladly buy from there. Shit is really much more expensive than anywhere else. I can go to amazon and save money without a doubt, old or new releases.

Xaula Zany

Post by Xaula Zany »

If Slug pitched in to save UGHH, there are levels of WTF that I'd have to go through before I could accept it. Soooo....that sounds about right. hah.

I was one of the first contributors at UGHH and they actually hosted the Non-Prophets forum before I was able to move everything over to another server before making it the Strange Famous Forum. Outside of AOL chat, UGHH was basically my introduction to the internet and taught me to type. After winning the Super Bowl Battle in Boston I was banned from their forum due to excessive celebration. It's really weird to think about that so many years later and how I have virtually zero connection to Quest even though we used to hang out and even have double dates with our significant others. Again, fucking bizarre. ha. I decided to shut down my own forum last year, and I'm not much of a contributor here, but I think I'll miss the culture/drama/bullshit/trolling to stay away forever.

Glad they're not gone. Not super pumped on the ambiguity of who owns them now and/or how it will all be handled. Or how it will be integrated into something else. But uhhhh....not my site. Really interested in seeing how this all pans out.
http://www.StrangeFamous.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

If Slug pitched in to save that forum it just means he's got more throw away money than you which is not exactly breaking news.

Xaula Zany

Post by Xaula Zany »

KhillA wrote:he's got more throw away money than you which is not exactly breaking news.
Right. ha. That....that is true. You said a true thing. Goes without saying I think. heh. Except that wasn't totally the point of my post. It's not just that he'd be "throwing away money." It's that the money is being used in a way that *might* preserve a website that could be a direct conflict of interest. But I'm not going to pretend to act like I know what's happening here. I was under the impression that Mike D from the Beastie Boys bought UGHH for $1M way back in the day, so that the hell do I know

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

And you want to pretend like you're not gonna miss trolling, lol

Xaula Zany

Post by Xaula Zany »

If I missed trolling I would have never shut down my own forum. It was really fun. Even before I knew what "trolling" was. When there was time and energy to spare, yes...that was amusing. Heh. Life catches up with you at a certain point.

Slack Jaw

Post by Slack Jaw »

Xaula Zany wrote:If Slug pitched in to save UGHH, there are levels of WTF that I'd have to go through before I could accept it. Soooo....that sounds about right. hah.

I was one of the first contributors at UGHH and they actually hosted the Non-Prophets forum before I was able to move everything over to another server before making it the Strange Famous Forum. Outside of AOL chat, UGHH was basically my introduction to the internet and taught me to type. After winning the Super Bowl Battle in Boston I was banned from their forum due to excessive celebration. It's really weird to think about that so many years later and how I have virtually zero connection to Quest even though we used to hang out and even have double dates with our significant others. Again, fucking bizarre. ha. I decided to shut down my own forum last year, and I'm not much of a contributor here, but I think I'll miss the culture/drama/bullshit/trolling to stay away forever.

Glad they're not gone. Not super pumped on the ambiguity of who owns them now and/or how it will all be handled. Or how it will be integrated into something else. But uhhhh....not my site. Really interested in seeing how this all pans out.
i remember the black sweatshirt saga. classic.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

KhillA wrote:If Slug pitched in to save that forum it just means he's got more throw away money than you which is not exactly breaking news.
Nobody knows if Slug did anything. Their people (not Quest) are speculating he did. But I can assure you, nobody is doing anything because of their forum. There is no money in a forum. The saving is the actual store and the outlet for indie artists. If their store closes, imagine how that impacts the thousands of guys who can’t get proper distro? Artists who don’t have many options. The CD-R rappers out there and trust me, in the New England area, they come a dime a dozen. It was a community that promoted within and helped put some money in those artists pockets. Without that store, they don’t have much. Keep in mind, it’s not a regional store, it’s really the few online stores with a global presence for these guys. And I’m not 100% sure what iCON will do with the site but he is a master at marketing so it has to be something good. Still, if sales are on the decline this could very well happen yet again before the year is over.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Seems like the majority of people are upset about the forum closing. The forum could technically live on without the store. With that said... how many UGHH forum members were spending money at the UGHH store and not just being a presence on the forums?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Philaflava wrote: Without that store, they don’t have much.
aeokg wrote:Glad to see the site survive, it's sort of like a beacon for underground hip hop. Hence the name haha. I'm glad merely cuz the boards will still exist and that's where I get 95% of my hip hop info.
there might be value in this, if they figure out how to monetize it. I don't mean the forum itself, more the idea that UGHH and the community around it can provide information/insight on a specific niche for specific fans, which isn't really widely covered by other media outlets (as far as I know at least). that's what I was driving at above. in conjunction with the store it could be something.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Shot in the dark here, but I imagine it's going to become a blog/news site that runs ads while maintaining a scaled-down online store and the OG forum. That could open them up to expanding from distro to promo, like Fifth Element/Rhymesayers does for its label signees as well as artists whose music is sold in their store. Whatever works...

(I have no idea how/if that works, but it feels like the most obvious move)

I've bought mad shit on the site and still do every now and again when the dope coupon arrives or occasional clearance sale happens. Copped the Hell Razah Renaissance Child vinyl from them around the holidays in 2014 or 2015 for like $10-$15, which I considered a steal since I didn't even know it came out on vinyl.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

drizzle wrote:
aeokg wrote:Glad to see the site survive, it's sort of like a beacon for underground hip hop. Hence the name haha. I'm glad merely cuz the boards will still exist and that's where I get 95% of my hip hop info.
there might be value in this, if they figure out how to monetize it. I don't mean the forum itself, more the idea that UGHH and the community around it can provide information/insight on a specific niche for specific fans, which isn't really widely covered by other media outlets (as far as I know at least). that's what I was driving at above. in conjunction with the store it could be something.
There is only so much you can monetize on a message board. Besides, this forum, even in the current state get more visitors than that forum and they're backed by a store. I'm telling you, the store is what makes that site valuable. The outlet it gives artists to sell their products directly is why UGHH is worth saving for many.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

dude
drizzle wrote:I don't mean the forum itself

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

RIF

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:There is only so much you can monetize on a message board. Besides, this forum, even in the current state get more visitors than that forum and they're backed by a store. I'm telling you, the store is what makes that site valuable. The outlet it gives artists to sell their products directly is why UGHH is worth saving for many.
Agreed and I haven't ordered from them in years but I'll make an effort to support more of they have. Low key, these stores have more exclusives than I thought they had, too. Which makes them more unique than a site that just leaks free music all the time.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

You will never know my UGHH identity

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

post your hip-hop/basketball emojis below

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Not sure anyone cares, but now that I can talk about this, I feel like I should answer some of these questions so here goes.
Philaflava wrote::copy: saves the day.

I'm more interested in seeing what changes are going to happen. As a store, I suppose there is only so much you can do but without that store, it isn't much of a business and that is where the trouble lies.
Yeah we're going to make a lot of improvements to the store, but the site is going to become more of a platform. First thing you can expect is a big commitment to quality editorial content.
drizzle wrote:I'm guessing he'll introduce original content aiming for ad revenue and possibly sponsored content. Something like heading more into pigs & planes / complex direction
Yeah, ad revenue, but I think Complex is pretty excessive, so more sponsored content than display ads.
drizzle wrote:these things aren't mutually exclusive. i'm not sure if they will keep the brick and mortar storefront but it seems possible they can do online retail while also being a magazine/vertical/blog whatever covering the same music they're selling. especially since a decent amount of the stuff they sell doesn't get routinely covered by other well established publications. it's good promo for their own wares, could bring new readers/customers if they expand their niche a bit, etc...
They closed the storefront a couple years back.
WiCkEd22 wrote:
Philaflava wrote:isn't the B&M gone? i thought it was just an online store like hhs or sandbox?
The actual store has been gone for like 3+ years or so. It's been online only since...

Is it true what I'm hearing about Slug being involved in the purchase along with Ikon?
Slug was not involved.
aeokq wrote:Glad to see the site survive, it's sort of like a beacon for underground hip hop. Hence the name haha. I'm glad merely cuz the boards will still exist and that's where I get 95% of my hip hop info.

As someone who buys cds on the regular, if they just lowered their prices a little I would gladly buy from there. Shit is really much more expensive than anywhere else. I can go to amazon and save money without a doubt, old or new releases.
There's really no competing with Amazon for anyone. People that buy on UGHH are collectors, so we're going to make it more worth their while by offering a collector's experience.
Xaula Zany wrote:If Slug pitched in to save UGHH, there are levels of WTF that I'd have to go through before I could accept it. Soooo....that sounds about right. hah.

Happy to unban you Sage. Would also like to involved however we can to give any support that is relevant to you. I generally miss your brand of cynicism in the periphery of my life.

I'll do my best to be transparent with everything we're doing. If you ever feel that I'm not, please call me on it.
Xaula Zany wrote:
KhillA wrote:he's got more throw away money than you which is not exactly breaking news.
Right. ha. That....that is true. You said a true thing. Goes without saying I think. heh. Except that wasn't totally the point of my post. It's not just that he'd be "throwing away money." It's that the money is being used in a way that *might* preserve a website that could be a direct conflict of interest. But I'm not going to pretend to act like I know what's happening here. I was under the impression that Mike D from the Beastie Boys bought UGHH for $1M way back in the day, so that the hell do I know
Grand Royal did make a healthy offer back in the day. Didn't work out.
Philaflava wrote:
KhillA wrote:If Slug pitched in to save that forum it just means he's got more throw away money than you which is not exactly breaking news.
Nobody knows if Slug did anything. Their people (not Quest) are speculating he did. But I can assure you, nobody is doing anything because of their forum. There is no money in a forum. The saving is the actual store and the outlet for indie artists. If their store closes, imagine how that impacts the thousands of guys who can’t get proper distro? Artists who don’t have many options. The CD-R rappers out there and trust me, in the New England area, they come a dime a dozen. It was a community that promoted within and helped put some money in those artists pockets. Without that store, they don’t have much. Keep in mind, it’s not a regional store, it’s really the few online stores with a global presence for these guys. And I’m not 100% sure what iCON will do with the site but he is a master at marketing so it has to be something good. Still, if sales are on the decline this could very well happen yet again before the year is over.
There's money in anything on the internet. And thanks for the vote of confidence.
Philaflava wrote:
drizzle wrote:
There is only so much you can monetize on a message board. Besides, this forum, even in the current state get more visitors than that forum and they're backed by a store. I'm telling you, the store is what makes that site valuable. The outlet it gives artists to sell their products directly is why UGHH is worth saving for many.
It's not the store. It's the community and the nostalgia we all have for it that make it valuable.

-iCON
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;