78%
J Dilla
22%

Total votes: 32

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Big Pun vs. J Dilla

Post by Philaflava »

Today's marks 17 years since Big Pun died. It's also the birthday of J Dilla.

Who do you miss the most?

madstadik

Re: Big Pun vs. J Dilla

Post by madstadik »

We've had a steady flow of jay dee material for years now, unfortunately Pun not so much so I gotta say i miss the punisher more

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Pun no contest. Capital Punishment has crept into my all-time top 10 albums. Dilla was very eh to me.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Pun

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

madstadik wrote:We've had a steady flow of jay dee material for years now, unfortunately Pun not so much so I gotta say i miss the punisher more
Can't discount dilla but pun was insanely talented.

A compilation of all of puns rare and unreleased material would be nice right about now.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i hear so many ppl, mainly latino, call pun the greatest ever. where does he rank in your eyes? top 5, 10? 15? 20?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:i hear so many ppl, mainly latino, call pun the greatest ever. where does he rank in your eyes? top 5, 10? 15? 20?
Hard to say, only because his career was cut so short. His second album not being as good as his first, and a lack of rare material floating around out there doesn't help his cause.

I think an interesting poll regarding fallen rappers would be who do you pick, Big L or Big Pun. I'd have to go with Big L...

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Chose Pun because there is so little material from him out there. Dilla at least was able to leave a good amount of work for the world.

Both are missed terribly, though.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

On another note if pun hadn't died. The original Terror Squad would most likely have stayed together and maybe Joe woulda done more street records in the mid/late 2000s

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I might be one of the few who didn't give a shit about TS. I preferred Pun to shine alone.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:I might be one of the few who didn't give a shit about TS. I preferred Pun to shine alone.
Agreed. Terror Squad was borderline corny. Cuban link was aight tho.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Shit was like QBs Finest. Not trying to hear weed carriers spit 16. Triple Seis, Prospect and Armageddon is cute on some Big Body Bes shit but I'm not trying to hear them steal time on a track away from Pun.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Feel like I've been missing Pun more based on the fact I feel like I feel overwhelmed with Dilla over the past decade based on how much the online Hip Hop world bigs him up.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Doesnt prospect or armaggedon write for joe?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

there's a dilla mural in trono but it looks like talib kweli
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

Pun all day
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

I wanna hear a new Pun verse much more than a new Dilla beat. I love JD, but with all these Dilla clones that spawned up every where, it's like he never really left :lol:

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

pun.

dilla is very overrated

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i get pun...i recognize the talent and understand how people could love his shit but hes borderline unlistenable to me

dilla i dont get and never will....i feel like you have to be a technical nerd and understand the intricacies of his production technique or some shit because his actual music is largely boring as fuck

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

this is a weird comparison first of all, and i think thats all that needs to be said

with that said, i would like to hear more unreleased pun. and more punisher representation

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

clark bent wrote: dilla i dont get and never will....i feel like you have to be a technical nerd and understand the intricacies of his production technique or some shit because his actual music is largely boring as fuck
You actually don't. You just need to not be a quadriplegic who is capable of making his or her head dip and understand basic fundamentals of dank beats. The fuck is boring? Is Miles Davis boring? Can you only listen to Judas Priest or MOP or the 8 Mile Soundtrack? What a fucking knob newjack dumb fucking thing to say.

If you can't fuck with this, no one will ever take your musical "taste" seriously.

I could seriously probably loop this for 18 weeks on repeat and never leave my bed and never want to get up or do anything for the rest of my life. You are fucking retarded.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Why choose! That blend tape someone did of dilla beats over pun verses is excellent

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

siLLy KiD wrote: If you can't fuck with this, no one will ever take your musical "taste" seriously.
whoa!

i better start getting into this j dilla guy

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Neuro wrote:this is a weird comparison first of all, and i think thats all that needs to be said
They both died in February. That's where the comparison comes from.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I guess to me it boils down to are we talking more of 2000 Pun when his health was in clear decline and his breath control all over the place or Pun in his prime vs Dilla who was in the midst of making some of his best work when he expired?

It's curious to consider where both's careers and abilities would have gone by 2017. Would Dillas have left hip-hop entirely when Stones Throw gravitated away from it in the late-aughts? Would Pun have lost the weight but then switched up his style with people lamenting "we need to get Pun fat again?"
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com