Did You Trade MP3s on IRC Channels?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Jedisdope

Did You Trade MP3s on IRC Channels?

Post by Jedisdope »

Apologies if this is too promotional / irrelevant to most people. If so, mods, feel free to lock this.

I'm Jed. Some of you may know me. I make videos, sometimes they have to do with music and hip-hop.

I'm currently working on an hour-long documentary for Bloomberg detailing how the mp3 disrupted the music industry, pushing it to evolve into a free-release and streaming economic system, ultimately challenging the popular conception of music's monetary value.

It's a complex story with a lot of moving parts. I've been fortunate enough to travel to Germany to speak with the inventor of the mp3, as well as film many artists and industry folks who helped affect the change (or were directly affected by the change) that resulted in a push toward the industry we know today.

One of the artists I've been lucky enough to interview is Benefit. (Looking forward to sharing that with the P when that piece goes up.) Before Benefit went "platinum on Napster" (as someone put it), his (and many other artists') songs were traded via FTP sites on IRC chat channels.

I'm looking for a few characters who can speak on camera about the trading, ripping, and sharing of mp3s on IRC in the mid 1990s. Ideally you are still involved in the music scene in some way currently, if even just a fan.

If this could be you or someone you know, please hit me up on here or write to jrosenberg67 AT bloomberg DOT net

Thank you!

Jed

PS - You may see a couple Phila rappers show up in the doc as well :cheers:
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Did You Trade MP3s on IRC Channels?

Post by drizzle »

sounds like a cool project man good luck with it
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I distinctly remember being on #Dalnet and #Efnet doing this shit.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

I used to be on Efnet in a room with a group of people who used to battle on Tha Landz (Tony Infamous, Sinsay/ParanormL etc), but never did much mp3 trading.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

TheBigSleep wrote:Nice try, RIAA.
:lol: