Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

killer mike comes weak on the 3rd album too
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

myself

Re: Discuss: Run The Jewels

Post by myself »

I prefer Deaf Jokes era El-P personally, but I enjoy Killer Mike on this. I could only really get into the 1st RTJ as a whole album and that's the only one will any replay value to me so far.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Employee wrote:
Versive wrote:
"If you love hip-hop, then you can't tell me that you don't love the advancement of style. If you tell me that you love hip-hop music, but you only want it to stay in the one style that you remember from when you were a kid ... then you don't actually love hip-hop."
SHADES OF WYCK-WYCK
Employee wrote:
Versive wrote:[But for me, a big part of enjoying el's lyrics was the challenge of figuring out what the fuck he just said and then what the fuck that meant. I never have this problem anymore and haven't since C4C.
All these things, yes

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

myself wrote:I prefer Deaf Jokes era El-P personally, but I enjoy Killer Mike on this. I could only really get into the 1st RTJ as a whole album and that's the only one will any replay value to me so far.
audibly not into it. elp said in an interview he was sad about bernie.
1. Nas
2. Drake

DLG

Post by DLG »

samdoom wrote:I've always been a fan of el-p's work since the co flow days. I was never a huge Killer Mike fan but I wound up really liking R.A.P. Music, probably more than Cancer For Cure. The RTJ albums are all solid, imo, but at times I wish El-P was using more samples or switching up the production style. The sound is cohesive but sometimes same-y. That being said, having seen them live several times, I can't think of a better hip hop group doing shows right now. Whether they are at a festival or a smaller venue, the production BANGS and they put on a live ass show.

In the modern context I also think it is pretty dope that two older rappers who have put in made time and work in the indie scene are now blowing the fuck up.
drizzle wrote:I'm glad they're doing well because they've earned it, and wish them all the best, but RTJ feels like a victory lap for 2 far more interesting careers that were never appreciated on the same scale as this new project. RAP Music was my favorite thing they've done together, there is nothing overtly wrong with the group albums but I don't really get much out of them either. A part of this likely has to do with me generally loosing interest in El-P rapping circa 2007. Samdoom is also right to point out that El's production hasn't evolved or changed much in a while and feels kinda samey now.
basically all of this.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

no way brah. beats on RTJ2 are varied. peep that transition from "all due respect" to "love again"
1. Nas
2. Drake

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

https://runthejewels.com/runthedibbs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Run the Dibbs
Oh Snap! We’re proud to present a brand new mix from the one and only Mr. Dibbs! The man goes way back with us and has been a heavyweight in the DJ / Turntablist scene for years. If you don’t know, we highly suggest you get acquainted.

n other words:

With his Oppositional Defiant Disorder on full tilt and a round hole/square peg mentality for destroying beautiful things…

Lend me your ears…

Ten minutes…

The purpose …a reinterpretation where rules don’t apply, pitch becomes a weapon and production standards don’t exist…