Eminem signs WSG/Conway to Shady/Interscope Records

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

unclebengi

Re: Eminem signs WSG/Conway to Shady/Interscope Records

Post by unclebengi »

I'm watching that shit right now, Benny's first verse in that freestyle >>>>>>>>>

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

unclebengi wrote:I can only base all of this on my own perspective. Conway and Westside are completely different as rappers, artists, whatever way you want to look at it. Westside was doing his thing for over a year solid and getting a decent buzz with a largely derivative rap style. I never heard Conway's name mentioned until fall of 2015. I largely ignored Westside to this point because despite a great ear for beats and nailing an aesthetic, he's average as fuck as a rapper.

As soon as I saw a couple Conway videos though from his Reject 2 album as well as his first Shade 45 freestyle I was hooked (as were a LOT of other heads). Conway is a technician with the bars and has been amazingly consistent with each and every verse over the last year and a half. The partnership with Westside works perfect because Westside is like a 2017 Puffy. He's made great marketing decisions from the start and capitalized on CONWAY's buzz (not his own) in way that I haven't seen before in that particular lane of gangster rap.

I don't care if I ever hear another Westside verse again, but he's been great for Conway and rap in general really just for giving guys like Conway and Mach-Hommy a true platform. He's a had a plan from the start and stuck to it and Conway has rapped his ass off from the second he got his chance.

My main point in all this is they don't deserve to be lumped in together as a group or with past New York groups like Mobb Deep. Westside Gunn is not a good rapper, Conway is an amazing one.
Agree on almost everything here. Add Daringer and Benny to that as well. Think you're selling Westside short a little bit though. Conways the better rapper, and I like him more overall, but I think Mr. T, Gustavo, and Hall are probably better than anything solo song Conway has put out to this point. Although, his verses on The Cow and Andre Drummond are on another level.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

unclebengi wrote:Yeah, I don't think I've heard a bad beat yet, he's ALC jr. in my book
Didn't see this initially. 100% on this too.

And watching this video, didn't realize Benny was Machine Gun Black's brother.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Versive wrote:Little known tape produced by him, with a totally different style of rapping: https://thricethird.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -the-queen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holy shit, i never knew about this. Thanks
Cosign about daringer being slept on. One of my favorite producers lately

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

These appearances are always impressive from Conway, but he really goes IN the last couple verses here, something to see for sure-

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I don't know how anyone could choose WSG over Conway at this point. Conway is Prodigy and WSG is like Big Twins.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Philaflava wrote:I don't know how anyone could choose WSG over Conway at this point. Conway is Prodigy and WSG is like Big Twins.

yeah i agree. conway is just a flat out dope rapper with a dope voice. i guess some people like WSG more because of his sometimes unorthodox lines and unique voice, but i still think conway is a far superior rapper

step one

Post by step one »

unclebengi wrote:These appearances are always impressive from Conway, but he really goes IN the last couple verses here, something to see for sure-

Dudes have rapping like this for 20 years. I'm still not getting the excitement around it - is it people that never really checked for thugged out NY street rap who are all over it? Can't see what he's bringing to the table that you can't find on a thousand other mixtapes from the last 2 decades.

I mean, it's alright and everything but Eminem may aswell have signed Grafh, Cormega or Ali Vegas.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

step one wrote:
unclebengi wrote:These appearances are always impressive from Conway, but he really goes IN the last couple verses here, something to see for sure-

Dudes have rapping like this for 20 years. I'm still not getting the excitement around it - is it people that never really checked for thugged out NY street rap who are all over it? Can't see what he's bringing to the table that you can't find on a thousand other mixtapes from the last 2 decades.

I mean, it's alright and everything but Eminem may aswell have signed Grafh, Cormega or Ali Vegas.

New generation. I mean people who didn't grow up on Nas or Ghost now have Droog and Bronson.

These cats are actually rapping. It's new to a lot of people in this generation. Actually rapping. Not mumble, marble, garble mouths saying "yeah" or "uh" 30 times in a song.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but he's relevant right now to this era and the production he has at his disposal ranges from consistent at the very least to outstanding. The guy is talented and he's making good new music, what's there not to like?
Last edited by GUCCI CONDOMS on Wed May 03, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Sebastion Shaw wrote: New generation. I mean people who didn't grow up on Nas or Ghost now have Droog and Bronson.

These cats are actually rapping. It's new to a lot of people in this generation. Actually rapping. Not mumble, marble, garble mouths saying "yeah" or "uh" 30 times in a song.
judging by the droog show i saw 3 years ago when he opened for royce, no kind of new generation is fucking w dude. it's old heads stuck in the 90s (same people who were stoked for "pryme").

rappers these days are more technically able than 90s rappers imo. it's harder to do a young thug vocal performance than raekwon. ironically same 90s heads who dismiss thugga probly still jocking ODB.

btw. i recently heard an interview and it turns out dude's face is really like that, he had a stroke or something.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

step one

Post by step one »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
btw. i recently heard an interview and it turns out dude's face is really like that, he had a stroke or something.
:naswtf: so before that you thought he was pretending or something ?
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote: rappers these days are more technically able than 90s rappers imo. it's harder to do a young thug vocal performance than raekwon. .
It's probably harder to imitate Ozzy Osbourne than Marvin Gaye...I mean..what the fuck are you on about?

You make some of the most stupid statements this board has ever seen.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
:naswtf: so before that you thought he was pretending or something ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:naswtf: / :fail: / :lastweek:

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

New mixtape came out today. Mostly new material.

Conway - Reject on Steroids

http://www.datpiff.com/Conway-Reject-On ... 45275.html

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Mixtape is muuuuch better than expected, some really great verses and original production on here. Rick Boxes is a standout.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Apparently Action B is upset at the label and wants out. I don't know how to post Twitter comments but he went off about his album being held up.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Really dope. Feels like a real mixtape with the freestyles mixed in with the new songs. Killed the Marci Beacoup beat and Humble.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

really good tape

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

https://soundcloud.com/tuffkongrecords/benny-scarface-vs-sosa-rmx-prod-cuns

New Benny track. Apparently, he's got a project coming out with the producer Cuns, Italian producer that's worked with Griselda a few times. Song is dope. Heard him use a few rhymes in a freestlye though I think.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

Anyone hitting the tour dates? I'm hitting up the Cambridge show @ Middle East

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

prolly gonna see them in NY next week. expecting a shitshow tbh but i'm curious

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Thinking about going to the NY show as well but probably gonna skip.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

FINALLY

Hot97, Benny and Conway. They bodied that Triumph beat, damn.

:ironmike:

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Bodied it...

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Legendary...Machine Bitch.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the show was sold out so I didn't make it but apparently it was great, they brought out Prodigy, Roc Marci and Styles P

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Just looking at stuff on instagram, it looked like Raekwon, Meyhem Lauren, Roc Marciano, Knowledge the Pirate, Prodigy, Styles P, & Tek were there.

And looks like Mach was there doing some joints off HBO too.
Last edited by Rhyme 4 Rhyme on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »