Eminem signs WSG/Conway to Shady/Interscope Records

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Eminem signs WSG/Conway to Shady/Interscope Records

Post by Philaflava »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I don't care how he dresses, I just don't get all the hype about WSG. That voice isn't tolerable, but I feel he has a very dope ear for beats. Conway I prefer much more, but you'd think they're the new Mobb Deep the way some of you are acting.
Of course they aren't as good as mobb deep and shit, but they do fill a void in that lane of rap pretty effectively.
this speaks to the quality of hip-hop NY has been putting out or lack of over the years tho.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Philaflava wrote:I don't care how he dresses, I just don't get all the hype about WSG. That voice isn't tolerable, but I feel he has a very dope ear for beats. Conway I prefer much more, but you'd think they're the new Mobb Deep the way some of you are acting.
haha Word. Of course how he dresses is irrelevant, but it's fun to comment on cuz he looks like a straight up fuckin CLOWN! That's how a 35 year old "street dude" dresses??

And yeah the way people act is annoying as fuck. It's like he's only accepted because of the huge void he's filling. Imagine this moron comin out in the 90s. No one would take him serious and he'd be laughed at.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:
GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
Of course they aren't as good as mobb deep and shit, but they do fill a void in that lane of rap pretty effectively.
this speaks to the quality of hip-hop NY has been putting out or lack of over the years tho.
Well Mobb Deep is arguably one of the greatest group in hip hop history. Just because WSG isn't as good as them doesn't mean they're garbage, there's a middle ground here. Yea, they're filling a void, but they're doing a good job at it, they're giving a somewhat new feel to an old sub-genre to the point where it doesn't feel like a complete rehash of old shit.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

They don't remind me of mobb deep at all though. Outside of it being NY gun rap over sampled beats, there's really no similarity.
Side note, Conway KILLS his verse on that new Mach Hommy album.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

whole tape here, at least a handful of these are old

http://www.datpiff.com/Westside-Gunn-Hi ... 32061.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

step one

Post by step one »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
I've been mostly indifferent to these guys but that sounds fucking shit .
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

Royce doesn't mesh with these guys at all.......

forced. even more so than the Slaughterhouse shit.

That said he's probably just generally terrible to me anyway

I say that to say this, Hope these guys haven't spent their best ammo and just repeating themselves at this point.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Roc Marciano's immediate offshoots were filling that void just fine IMO. Point is now moot.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Versive wrote:Roc Marciano's immediate offshoots were filling that void just fine IMO. Point is now moot.
Hus and Smoov were getting the fraction of attention that Gunn and Conway did over the last year

Versive

Post by Versive »

True, but I just meant from a listener's perspective. Also was including fellow Winners Rosati and Sage Infinite.
Point is moot not because of what I said, but because Roc's album dropped and will be listened to throughout 2017 and for years to come.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

drizzle wrote:
Versive wrote:Roc Marciano's immediate offshoots were filling that void just fine IMO. Point is now moot.
Hus and Smoov were getting the fraction of attention that Gunn and Conway did over the last year

I think they changed their style up a bit from Tha Connection to now, where as Gunn and Conway kinda always been this.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:
drizzle wrote:

I think they changed their style up a bit from Tha Connection to now, where as Gunn and Conway kinda always been this.
Gunn and Conway are getting way more attention than Hus & Smoov ever did and likely ever will get.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Again, irrelevant, unless for you the void is a marketing term. You guys are talking about this as if you own retail shops.
Or are you trying to put yourselves in the position of a Shady Records exec? If so, oh, that's weird. I wasn't advocating that Hus & SmooVth would've been better signees. They obviously have a much lesser buzz. WSG & Conway were getting played on Hot 97!

Versive

Post by Versive »

Now that I try to put myself in those shoes, for fun, the Hitler gimmickry definitely sealed the deal.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I can only base all of this on my own perspective. Conway and Westside are completely different as rappers, artists, whatever way you want to look at it. Westside was doing his thing for over a year solid and getting a decent buzz with a largely derivative rap style. I never heard Conway's name mentioned until fall of 2015. I largely ignored Westside to this point because despite a great ear for beats and nailing an aesthetic, he's average as fuck as a rapper.

As soon as I saw a couple Conway videos though from his Reject 2 album as well as his first Shade 45 freestyle I was hooked (as were a LOT of other heads). Conway is a technician with the bars and has been amazingly consistent with each and every verse over the last year and a half. The partnership with Westside works perfect because Westside is like a 2017 Puffy. He's made great marketing decisions from the start and capitalized on CONWAY's buzz (not his own) in way that I haven't seen before in that particular lane of gangster rap.

I don't care if I ever hear another Westside verse again, but he's been great for Conway and rap in general really just for giving guys like Conway and Mach-Hommy a true platform. He's a had a plan from the start and stuck to it and Conway has rapped his ass off from the second he got his chance.

My main point in all this is they don't deserve to be lumped in together as a group or with past New York groups like Mobb Deep. Westside Gunn is not a good rapper, Conway is an amazing one.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
drizzle wrote:

Gunn and Conway are getting way more attention than Hus & Smoov ever did and likely ever will get.

Don't disagree there. Just stating why the buzz is slow for Hus & Smoov. Plus, not for nothing their personal appearance (WSG/Conway) stands out. By that, I don't mean how they dress either. Conway just looks like a fucking dope rapper with that crooked face.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Dude literally talks out the side of his mouth.
unclebengi wrote: As soon as I saw a couple Conway videos though from his Reject 2 album as well as his first Shade 45 freestyle I was hooked (as were a LOT of other heads). Conway is a technician with the bars and has been amazingly consistent with each and every verse over the last year and a half. The partnership with Westside works perfect because Westside is like a 2017 Puffy. He's made great marketing decisions from the start and capitalized on CONWAY's buzz (not his own) in way that I haven't seen before in that particular lane of gangster rap.

I don't care if I ever hear another Westside verse again, but he's been great for Conway and rap in general really just for giving guys like Conway and Mach-Hommy a true platform. He's a had a plan from the start and stuck to it and Conway has rapped his ass off from the second he got his chance.

My main point in all this is they don't deserve to be lumped in together as a group or with past New York groups like Mobb Deep. Westside Gunn is not a good rapper, Conway is an amazing one.
Haven't listened to any of this newer stuff, so I can't call it, but I do respect your opinion on rap things so I'll keep an ear open.

Sage Infinite and Rosati have impressed me more than Hus & SmooVth lately. And Grandmilly more than all these dudes, but he REALLY doesn't deserve to be lumped into this conversation despite some loose affiliations.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

havoc was hardly a singular vocal talent
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:havoc was hardly a singular vocal talent
Nah, Havoc had more than his fair share of moments.

Gotta admit tho, Havoc constantly using the phrase "blowing niggas" in regards to shooting people is mad cringeworthy to hear these days.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

unclebengi wrote:I can only base all of this on my own perspective. Conway and Westside are completely different as rappers, artists, whatever way you want to look at it. Westside was doing his thing for over a year solid and getting a decent buzz with a largely derivative rap style. I never heard Conway's name mentioned until fall of 2015. I largely ignored Westside to this point because despite a great ear for beats and nailing an aesthetic, he's average as fuck as a rapper.

As soon as I saw a couple Conway videos though from his Reject 2 album as well as his first Shade 45 freestyle I was hooked (as were a LOT of other heads). Conway is a technician with the bars and has been amazingly consistent with each and every verse over the last year and a half. The partnership with Westside works perfect because Westside is like a 2017 Puffy. He's made great marketing decisions from the start and capitalized on CONWAY's buzz (not his own) in way that I haven't seen before in that particular lane of gangster rap.

this is a pretty good take

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

As far as the Havoc comparison, that's not what I'm getting at, more don't lump Conway in w/ WSG as an MC, it's not fair to Conway. Conway IS a singular vocal talent like Prodigy though, in fact he's outshined Prodigy by a mile the few times they've collaborated (and everyone else he's collaborated with for that matter).

I also forgot to mention Daringer in the previous post, easily the most slept on part of this whole movement. No beatmaker has been working on a higher level the last year and a half. I'm a sucker for psychedelic sample based production and Daringer has perfected his formula. As long as he is providing the sonic blueprint and Conway is rapping I'll be listening.
Last edited by unclebengi on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Little known tape produced by him, with a totally different style of rapping: https://thricethird.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -the-queen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

unclebengi wrote:
I also forgot to mention Daringer in the previous post, easily the most slept on part of this whole movement. No beatmaker has been working on a higher level the last year and a half. I'm a sucker for psychedelic sample based production and Daringer has perfected his formula. As long has he is providing the sonic blueprint and Conway is rapping I'll be listening.
This, all day. I haven't been in love with WSG's flow since HWH2, really, but as long as Conway keeps spitting, good things are happening.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i'm not getting as much out of Daringer as you guys are. I don't think I ever heard anything from him that didn't sound like a capable retread of the kind of beat Marci would pick, or something by Alchemist but a little less adventurous. Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Yeah, I don't think I've heard a bad beat yet, he's ALC jr. in my book

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I don't dislike him, he does good stuff and undoubtedly had a big part in shaping their aesthetic, I just don't see him as somebody with a distinct signature sound (yet)

Versive

Post by Versive »

I agree with that and feel essentially the same way about Conway, although as I mentioned, I haven't been keeping up.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »