Daddy's Home
5%
Veteranz' Day
No votes

Total votes: 21

stype_ones

Best Big Daddy Kane Album

Post by stype_ones »

Gloss posted the Kane albums on the Gram last week and although not a situation that isn't regular, I've been listening to Kane non stop as a result. More than usual for sure. Shit has leaked into this week. I been all Kane, all day, for mad days in a row. Kane is without a doubt one of the kings of the Golden age.

Question here is, what is the best Kane album? A little something for you to consider: Chuck D has gone on record saying Looks Like A Job For... is one of the greatest albums in Hip Hop History.

How does the crew here feel?

unclebengi

Re: Best Big Daddy Kane Album

Post by unclebengi »

It's a Big Daddy Thing for me, it's like a display for everything Kane could do as an MC

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

For me, it has to be It's a Big Daddy Thing, but my favorite verse in the history of Hip Hop is Kane on Just Rhymin With Biz.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

unclebengi wrote:It's a Big Daddy Thing for me, it's like a display for everything Kane could do as an MC
So versatile..

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Obviously between the first two. I went with long live the Kane cause it was a game changer.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Long Live

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Long Live.

admiral

Post by admiral »

Went with Big Daddy Thing, but I find myself listening to Looks Like a Job For... an awful lot these days

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

bid daddy thing goes on for too long but i give it a slight edge over long live the kane which sounds like it was recorded inside a shipping container on a maersk freighter

kane isnt really an album guy...hes like krs or even kanye where they dont really have an album that is a top notch straight thru listen but their 15-20 best songs will make up a greatest hits that not many emcees could match

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

excuse me, return of the boom bap is top notch straight thru.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Philaflava wrote:excuse me, return of the boom bap is top notch straight thru.
As is his self-titled album, as are most, if not all, of the BDP albums, which are essentially KRS albums.
I get not thinking of Kanye as an album guy if you're really just a beats and rhymes guy.
But the idea that KRS or Kane doesn't have an album that's top-notch straight through is insane to me.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

edutainment is one of the most filler ridden albums ever...sex and violence is not far behind...the second half of his self titled album is pretty weak....i can live with boom bap being a straight thru listen although i dont really find myself fiendin for anything on there cept outta here and higher level which are off the charts good

bdk's love songs are all garbage and half his albums have way too many tracks

criminal minded and long live the kane are the most consistent because they are so short but they also unfortunately sound quite dated which makes them hard to get thru

anyway to each his own but give me a bdk or krs greatest hits any day over listening to their full catalogs...the great songs are soooo much better than the good songs that it renders the good stuff unnecessary

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Big Daddy Kane was extremely high caliber in 86/87. I suspect that this period of time yielded my top 10 favorites:

Get Into It
Somethin' Funky
Just Rhymin' With Biz
For Your Own Concern
Raw (Original)
Wrath Of Kane
Long Live The Kane
Ain't No Half Steppin'
Set It Off
The Symphony

I was never a big fan of his subsequent material, but in that short window of time, you could see why people put him on the same level as Rakim.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Yeah, he was way ahead of his time 86-88. I could have easily chosen the first album and been fine with that, but I chose the second strictly because of the versatility. You could certainly cut some of the fat, though.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

http://therealhip-hop.com/a-conversatio ... addy-kane/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TRHH: Chuck D said that Looks Like A Job For… is one of the best Hip-Hop albums of all-time. I think it’s definitely underrated, but it’s not one of those that people mention when they talk about Kane. Do you have a favorite Big Daddy Kane album?

Big Daddy Kane: Oh yeah, It’s a Big Daddy Thing, my second one.

TRHH: Why is that your favorite?

Big Daddy Kane: I just think that it’s one of those complete tight albums. That’s difficult to do when you’ve got so many songs. I believe that there is 16 or 17 songs on there. It’s kind of hard to listen to that many songs from the same person. I think we pulled it off by the different directions we went with that album. There’s a lot of conscious stuff, a lot of gutter stuff, and something for the ladies. It was just a well-rounded album – and the production too.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

How do you guys feel about his other albums?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Daddy's Home was decent. I think it had some gems on there for a really old out-of-touch guy. But Lyrical Gymnastics showed he still had it.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I think taste of chocolate has some very dope tracks on it...but it also had some of his worst music too. But , that's one i feel like I should revisit, more than the other albums after "It's a big daddy thing". Prince of darkness was his worst, imo.

step one

Post by step one »

pradadon wrote:How do you guys feel about his other albums?
The Beef Is On off Looks Like A Job For is one of my favourite Kane tracks. It's very G Rap-ish in content which makes me wonder if he had some input, but still dope either way
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

never heard a full BDK album before.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I feel like part of me wants to say IABDT like other people due to the huge impact it had on me as a kid but when I look back at the discography now I say LLTK for the great definition it represents in the total history of MCs and a landmark album of The Juice Crew.

As a teen I remember bumping into Kane in line at a Dunkin Donuts at Borough Hall in Brooklyn on my way home from my orthodontist. This was about a 10 min walk from the former Albee Square Mall location in Fulton Mall.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

admiral

Post by admiral »

Never forget