Things you didn’t know about rappers

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Things you didn’t know about rappers

Post by Philaflava »

This kinda turned into the Kevin Bacon game, but add on with interested tidbits.

A friend of mine told me about this artist named 13, who prior to ABB Records, was apart of a group called Mannish. They dropped the joint “Expect That,” as well as an full-length album on Correct Records in ’95. At that time, 13 went by Jekill.

His father is comedian Paul Mooney. 13 went to school with Evidence, hence their connection. Ev produced the banger “Slow Burnin” and a few other singles for 13 while on ABB before he stopped rapping all together. Ev, is the son of a former General Hospital actress. Ev was great friends with Stefan Gordy, who just happened to be Berry Gordy’s son. Stephan started out as Kendal (his middle name). He produced the hit “Back In The Day” by Ahmad. Everyone knows that joint.

Kendal started rapping as Redfoo and if you recall, he and this guy Kroon dropped a few singles featuring Evidence. The one you probably know is “The Freshest.” This was around 97ish. Cut to the 00s, Red Foo went on to become LMFAO. They (LMFAO) were really put on by DJ Steve Aoki. It was him who really helped give them the push they needed to become this household name. Steve is the son of Rocky Aoki, better known as the dude who fucking created Benihanas.

fatboybrandon

Re: Things you didn’t know about rappers

Post by fatboybrandon »

Damn, that's an interesting connection between 13 and his associates. I remember that Slow Burnin single and being excited to pick up my copy of the 12" at Fat Beats NYC, I think WNYU radio put me on to it. The way the Method Man "roll that shit" vocal sample is cut on the chorus is slick!

I've got some Hip Hop connections in my own life that I think are interesting. I went to junior high/high school on the East side of Harlem on 106th & Park (which is the name of the same famous TV show) and Cam'ron and Digga (producer from Children of The Corn) also went to at the time. This same high school is the graffiti hall of fame of NYC and has the courtyard location where Prodigy of Mobb Deep shot his album cover for H.N.I.C. One of the students from this high school I'm cool with ended up featuring on Sticky Fingaz's Black Trash album under the name of Columbo.

I grew up in the same Harlem apartment building as Sadat X of Brand Nubian from the early 90's until a few years ago when he moved out to Brooklyn. Ron G used to live across the street from us and Doo Wop lives around the corner. This building overlooks a cemetery where they shot the scene of Pookie's burial in the movie New Jack City and scene's from Black Moon's video for I Gotcha Open, also Da Youngsta's I'll Make You Famous and Mob Style's What's Goin On. One of the crews from my neighborhood is known as Madballs which All Skratch shouts out on Chill Wit Dat.

In other words, Harlem ain't no joke!

I was surprised to learn some cool things about Special Ed recently in that he branched off as a producer to work with many, including Dr. Dre, Snoop, 2Pac and Biggie. You can catch the interview on my blog.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

What is your blog? I just see a link to buy that Trag DWG record.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Kid, of Kid N play, Composed the theme song to "Real Time with Bill maher" and they are close friends.
That's all I got.
Oh and one Time Jemini the Gifted one told me Pudgee the Phat bastard was THE gay rapper cause he toured with him and saw things.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Philaflava wrote:What is your blog? I just see a link to buy that Trag DWG record.
Here's Ed talking to a Lo Life about his career, the podcast is called Money Hoes & Clothes and has a lot of wild stories about Brooklyn Polo boosters from back in the day. Ed is the only Hip Hop legend on the podcast so far : http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2017/03/ ... talks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Blockhead wrote:Kid, of Kid N play, Composed the theme song to "Real Time with Bill maher" and they are close friends.
That's all I got.
Oh and one Time Jemini the Gifted one told me Pudgee the Phat bastard was THE gay rapper cause he toured with him and saw things.
The Kid thing is pretty well known if you watch Real Time. I think on the credits it even says his name. Kid makes his money these days selling medical marijuana like most Wu members. The Pudgee thing I've heard for years. From several diff ppl too. Has he addressed that rumor?

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

One other Hip Hop connection I remember about my building, I remember my friend's girl used to date Notorious B.I.G. which I found out from his niece. That friend is a guy named Carlos McCullers, we met around 1999 from him moving in and he was working as an assistant to Easy Mo Bee and knew tons of others in the industry. Through Carlos I met Hank Shocklee of The Bomb Squad when he was working as an A&R at Universal Records at the time, I was commissioned to design the logo for the studio he was planning but my idea ended up getting rejected. I remember the night I met Hank we drove down to Sony studio on the West side of Manhattan, sat and ate with his assistant in the control room. Christopher Williams of "I'm Dreaming" fame popped in the studio for a minute while we are eating.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Damn. You should be doing the podcast with all the stories.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

One Hip Hop connection I remember from college: my Basic Photography teacher who I met at the end of my freshman year at School of Visual Arts went on to shoot Kanye's 2nd album cover, her name is Sarah Friedman.

http://www.sarahafriedman.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember her portfolio being passed around class and I was surprised to find some real hood shit in there, she shot Inspectah Deck for VIBE magazine, Lil Wayne, Obama and numerous other celebrities. I just found out recently she got married to the famous Soul musician Aaron Neville of "Hercules" fame.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

aaron neville is like 80 years old. you sure?

EDIT:

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Yeah that marriage is true, I saw reports of it on the news. I was surprised myself at first too but then again there's alota out of the ordinary shit going on that's connected to Kanye nowadays!