untitled unmastered.
7%
DAMN.
No votes

Total votes: 15

Sumthin_Funky

Re: Kendrick- The Heart Pt 4 (IV)

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

Philaflava wrote:Whether we're talking about albums from 5 years ago, 15 years ago or 25, the standards and meaning of a classic album shouldn't have changed at all. The only thing that changes is the music.
I agree to an extent. For me personally, I'm not claiming it's a classic. The album has been out for like 6 days for fucks sake. What I don't like is people bashing on it because it doesn't meet a standard that applies to albums from a different time period. I think the standards do have to change a bit because like you said, the music changes. Music evolves, and so because rap today doesn't sound like Illmatic, The Infamous, The Chronic, etc, our opinions and standards thus are shaped to adapt to the sound. It isn't a matter of if the album sounds better than some album that came out in 1995, but whether it sounds better than something more relevant to it's era. I think if people are able to rid of expectations, and just listen to the album as it is and dissect the themes and overall concept, they might see this is actually a really good album. People already calling him the GOAT or whatever should just basically be ignored.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^ i compare it to his first two albums, which are classics. i don't think anyone in this thread is holding damn at that level. there are some jams no doubt, but like hair of the dog says half the songs aren't even rapping. lauryn can pull that off but kendrick can't (cause she's a fantastic singer, not cause she did it in the 90s).
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Spartan wrote:
DJCommunist wrote:Its refreshing imo. I work with a bunch of schlups who have to call every trendy rapper like kendrick or cole the best alive. Good to see some solid counterarguments here from people who have been listening to hip hop for more than 5 years
I'd rather risk being labelled a miserable old boom-bap dinosaur than feeling compelled in hailing a rushed album by a massivley overrated artist as a classic like these insufferable twats. Most of them seem to be regurgitating the same shit Fantano and the blog cartels say in order to fit in with the herd; ultimately, they come across as vapid cunts like this guy:

i dfw fagtasto's videos, but apparently he hates the album and went on an anti kendrick rant about black israelites cause of that one innocuous line in "YAH".

btw that reddit poster is less of a vapid cunt, and more of a bisexual ballrider imo.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I think Kendrick is dope. He is clearly the voice of this generation and no other emcee is knocking him off right now. The album is good tho, not great. It's certainly not classic and that is my only gripe. DNA and a few other tracks I dig a lot, but the whole "classic" thing really bothers me.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

totally agree. more life>>damn

duckworth is classic nasir level storytelling with a 'meet the parents' type twist
1. Nas
2. Drake

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

i like this album...

zombie

Post by zombie »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote: fagtasto's bisexual ballrider
:lol:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

on IG live kendrick said he's got new music coming

7 day theory HYPE CONFIRMED
1. Nas
2. Drake

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

man, i must be one of those trendy fucktards because i love this album.

not as dope as Section.80 or GKMC and not as ambitious as TPAB but damn, i'm really enjoying the shit out of this album.

or did i just reason out that i agree with you guys because i only read the last page?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^way better than section 80 imo. but otherwise agree
1. Nas
2. Drake

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

i should probably revisit section.80 because i haven't listened to it since TPAB came out but i remember feeling like i liked it more than TPAB but not as much as GKMC.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Kendrick has a lot of lines that he thinks are dope but aren't really as dope as he thinks they are. :bunk:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »