General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

In Retrospect: Discuss This Album..

Post by stype_ones »

stype_ones

Re: In Retrospect: Discuss This Album..

Post by stype_ones »

I will elaborate more, but I have to say the intro is so fuckin ill..

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

yeah, great sample. "oh my god" is fire, esp 3rd verse. all the just blaze beats knock. the dre beats too (although jay's flow on verse 2 of lost ones didn't quite come off). trouble is a low key top hov joint.

i mean it's lightyears better than anything he's put out since, including watch the throne. but coming off black album + rose tinted retirement i get why people didn't love it.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

step one

Post by step one »

By Jay Z standards this was terrible but the slide began with American Gangster so it wasn't a huge surprise. Think I listened to it twice. 2/5
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Intro, title track and dig a hole were dope, otherwise an unmemorable album. I actually think American Gangster has aged better than most of his catalogue.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i really only enjoyed the just blaze jawns on here.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

The best thing to come out of this album was Wayne's freestyle over Show Me What You Got

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Complete garbage

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:The best thing to come out of this album was Wayne's freestyle over Show Me What You Got

prime lil wayne>>>>>>>>

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

after looking at the tracklist for Kingdom Come and American Gangster, they're probably about even, with a slight edge to American Gangster. Both albums miss more than they hit though

step one

Post by step one »

that Lil Wayne vid might be one of the least shit things he's done but obviously the AZ version is superior (cant find it on youtube)

As far as Kingdom Come, given how much Jay Z material is out there I can't see why anyone would reach for this over anything that came out before it.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Jay-Z was kidnapped and cloned after BP2. Even Black Album is mostly clone raps.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

step one wrote:By Jay Z standards this was terrible but the slide began with American Gangster so it wasn't a huge surprise. Think I listened to it twice. 2/5
This was before amerikkkan gangster....... Which is still the greatest disappointment of all time to me, after only having heard Blue magic.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Jay-Z was kidnapped and cloned after BP2. Even Black Album is mostly clone raps.
I agree, I think black album is garbage too even tho I concede it's an unpopular opinion

BP2 is very underrated tho, jay-z killed that album

admiral

Post by admiral »

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Disappointing overall, but there's about 5 joints on there that I still bump a lot. Prelude is probably the best.

2/5.

step one

Post by step one »

Putting out the acapellas for the Black Album resulted in some decent remixes. Some of the original versions are good but I never listen to the whole album in one go. It was a good collection of singles.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one wrote:Putting out the acapellas for the Black Album resulted in some decent remixes. Some of the original versions are good but I never listen to the whole album in one go. It was a good collection of singles.
IMO jay's performance on the black album didn't warrant the remixes. Trying to find as many ways as possible to say "I'm the greatest rapper alive" is not particularly interesting.

step one

Post by step one »

Think he covered a bit more than that on the album with 99 Problems, Threat, Allure etc. The brag level was about standard for a major label rap album.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

As far as KC,

Prelude, KC, Lost Ones, Do You Wanna Ride and Dig A Hole are all dope. I even kinda like 30 Something and Trouble. The rest is trash tho.

The Black Album is a classic to me. Shit is dope straight through and would have been the perfect way to end his album career. He's made some great songs since then but the albums post Black Album were not that good.

ric

Post by ric »

I actually like kingdom come. as far as an album goes its not as cohesive as the few before it but I like the songs more than I like the shit off American gangster or watch the throne as a whole or BP 3 (BP 3 has a few DOPE joints though). I remember being one of the few who listened to kingdom come quite a bit for a couple years though

I even like the shit like beach chair. everyone on here hates beach chair

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

ric wrote:I actually like kingdom come. as far as an album goes its not as cohesive as the few before it but I like the songs more than I like the shit off American gangster or watch the throne as a whole or BP 3 (BP 3 has a few DOPE joints though). I remember being one of the few who listened to kingdom come quite a bit for a couple years though

I even like the shit like beach chair. everyone on here hates beach chair
Agreed, very underrated track.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Here's what I do know.. This is the most overrated album of all time.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

Reasonable Doubt
Blueprint
Black Album
IML Vol 1
Dynasty
IML Vol 3
BP2
IML Vol 2
Kingdom Come
American Gangster
BP3
MCHG

IMOzzzzzzzzzzz

sidenote, does anyone remember the day MCHG came out and the vast majority of rap bloggers were hailing it as a top 3 Jay album? LOL

step one

Post by step one »

Good Jay Z songs since 2005

DOA
Go Crazy w/Jeezy

That's pretty much it fam

ric

Post by ric »

CarlosDelgothoes wrote: sidenote, does anyone remember the day MCHG came out and the vast majority of rap bloggers were hailing it as a top 3 Jay album? LOL
Yeah. morons. very weak Internet criticism game both for music and movies. it's like that aggregation shit. the internet is about confirming your beliefs not growing or disagreeing. capturing a moment to get views etc is more important than actually being sweet. I'm not on twitter but remember seeing magna carta quotes of the worst caliber being hailed as genius. now if something crazy good is going on with the beats technically I can get behind that. but I would really like somebody with technical knowledge and ability to explain this shit to me. because I'm just not feeling a good portion of this album.

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye

Post by Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye »

ric wrote:
CarlosDelgothoes wrote: sidenote, does anyone remember the day MCHG came out and the vast majority of rap bloggers were hailing it as a top 3 Jay album? LOL
Yeah. morons. very weak Internet criticism game both for music and movies. it's like that aggregation shit. the internet is about confirming your beliefs not growing or disagreeing. capturing a moment to get views etc is more important than actually being sweet. I'm not on twitter but remember seeing magna carta quotes of the worst caliber being hailed as genius. now if something crazy good is going on with the beats technically I can get behind that. but I would really like somebody with technical knowledge and ability to explain this shit to me. because I'm just not feeling a good portion of this album.

does anybody have that because I remember that and it was the funniest shit

the song with the dude from coldplay talking about hanging out on the beach are you kidding me

ric

Post by ric »

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye wrote:
ric wrote:I'm not on twitter but remember seeing magna carta quotes of the worst caliber being hailed as genius. now if something crazy good is going on with the beats technically I can get behind that. but I would really like somebody with technical knowledge and ability to explain this shit to me. because I'm just not feeling a good portion of this album.
does anybody have that because I remember that and it was the funniest shit

the song with the dude from coldplay talking about hanging out on the beach are you kidding me
#1. agreed. link it up if you guys remember where that was
#2. not kidding. I like that song. cool sound. if hov really needs inspiration for new shit he ought to be looking at songs like that for how to mold his next sound

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

underated jayz album , better than most recent jay z albums

in my opinion BP3 garbage and whatever he released before this newest