New Brother Ali album

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

hessbz12

New Brother Ali album

Post by hessbz12 »

Can't recall the board's thoughts on Ali, but the whole album is apparently produced by Ant...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... rs-w469442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to really like this due. Shadows on the Sun, Champion EP and the Undisputed Truth. But that was all in like early to mid 2000s. I kinda stopped checking for him, for no real reason.

Anyone checking for this?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: New Brother Ali album

Post by Philaflava »

Huge ANT fan. I think he brings out the best in folks and is super-duper underrated. I can’t say I loved the last few Ali album, but he performed a joint at the live show with Dem Atlas that I thought was pretty fucking great.

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

never liked Shadows on the Sun , the Undisputed Truth is better , but after that i dont check brother new projects , i gonna check the new album because of ant

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Philaflava wrote:Huge ANT fan. I think he brings out the best in folks and is super-duper underrated. I can’t say I loved the last few Ali album, but he performed a joint at the live show with Dem Atlas that I thought was pretty fucking great.
Big ANT fan as well. I agree on the last few albums. Just couldn't get into them.

With that being said, I saw him open for Devin the Dude (I know weird combo of artists) a number of years back and his show was great! My boy that was with me had never really heard Ali and admitted that he was really dope.

I'm definitely gonna check for this, mainly because of the ANT factor.

Post by 907 »

I loved Shadows on the sun, and cared a little less about his albums with each one since. Still a fan though, and looking forward to checking this out.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

hessbz12 wrote:Can't recall the board's thoughts on Ali, but the whole album is apparently produced by Ant...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... rs-w469442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to really like this due. Shadows on the Sun, Champion EP and the Undisputed Truth. But that was all in like early to mid 2000s. I kinda stopped checking for him, for no real reason.

Anyone checking for this?
This is pretty much my progression too. In fact, Ali was one of my faves during this run. Something kind of lost me starting with 'Us'....for one I think Ant's shift away from sampling and increased use of live instrumentation didn't quite vibe with me. Even Ali maybe lost a step along the way too.

That said, I'll check for this simply based on how big of a fan I was in the 2000s. What I've heard so far actually sounds pretty nice but my expectations are in check.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Shadows on the Sun is damn near classic. Brother Ali has and will always be a great live performer and a good rapper, but his subject matter and vibe have become a little too preachy and happy go lucky for me over the last couple albums/ep's. All Ant production has me intrigued, but the concept of the album makes me a little skeptical.

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

New songs are dope. Ali's discography is pretty damn consistent imo.

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Tour dates:

http://rhymesayers.com/tours/241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

His happiness here and the way it irks me make me feel like a legitimate white devil.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Looks dope. Splatter wax too.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Did people think he was a black albino for a while or was it just me?

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

tehgiftofgab wrote:Did people think he was a black albino for a while or was it just me?
I mean, if you ever saw dude around the twin cities days, when he was always dipped in a black hoodie and jeans (and wasn't nearly as crowd interactive), it was easy for that to become a believable rumor.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

zombie

Post by zombie »

tehgiftofgab wrote:Did people think he was a black albino for a while or was it just me?
wait, i thought this rumor was floating around for years because he himself said he was a black albino in some article or song or something a long time ago

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

krondon is a black albino. ali is just white.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

I think when his first album dropped in 2000, many assumed he was black/albino and because of his voice. I also think he didn't go out of his way to correct people because he didn't particularly identify with being "white", he said this in an interview about 10 years ago:
I'm albino, my family is white, but I was really raised, and taught my important life lessons, by the black community. It's weird to have these writers be like, "What race are you?" I'd be like, "Fuck you, why is that so important to you? Why did you ask me this?" But then, I'd just be like, "I don't want to talk about that." There was a time as a teenager when I was like, "I'm not white." Because being white is a religion that you either believe in or don't believe in. Of course, in the world, I'm white, I get white privilege and all that kind of stuff, so it's like, lately, I've been having to go on record.
Album drops tomorrow, these first two singles are some the best songs I've heard from him in years.

ric

Post by ric »

Yeah..... umm.... sounds like an ant + Lana del Rey team up is really what's in the future here