Marginally Controversial Dusty Fingers Thread 2

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

gusty wingers

Marginally Controversial Dusty Fingers Thread 2

Post by gusty wingers »

Although unfortunately for many the dogg has had many meals since... Tha Last Meal is Snoop Dogg's best album... Sporting endless West Coast features... A number of beats from both Dre and Storch (who is Dre) this is Snoop's Chronic 2001... His classic... Something happened and the dogg finally got that right bag of weed and it all came together right for him on this jawnt
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Re: Marginally Controversial Dusty Fingers Thread 2

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Don't agree with the 2001 comparison or it being a classic. Good album and the highlights I still revisit, however don't feel it's that monumental and anywhere near Doggystyle.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

wasn't that album a bunch of throwaway tracks?

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

no

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

having said that snoop's whole career is a throwaway track

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Its probably his secondbest solo album

No Limit Top Dogg had a handful of classics that are better than anything on Tha Last Meal but the rest was awful.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

step one

Post by step one »

Nas gets a lot shots thrown at him for his catalogue post Illmatic but Snoop's albums after Doggystyle have been considerably more patchy.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one wrote:Nas gets a lot shots thrown at him for his catalogue post Illmatic but Snoop's albums after Doggystyle have been considerably more patchy.
No one ever claims snoop dogg is top 5 dead or alive tho, so this comparison doesn't make much sense.

That being said, Doggystyle has aged nicely and is def an incredible album. I have my doubts that it's really worth any time or effort to explore the rest of snoops albums tho. Post some tracks worth checking out I guess?

I'm much more interested in hearing all of the unreleased early death row era shit that has leaked over the years...

step one

Post by step one »

I'd say Illmatic and Doggystyle were reasonably comparable in that they were both massively anticipated debuts by young rappers that had debuted around 1991. I imagine west coasters held Doggystyle in the same regard as Illmatic was thought of in NY?
Would be interested if anyone who was there could confirm/deny?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one wrote:I'd say Illmatic and Doggystyle were reasonably comparable in that they were both massively anticipated debuts by young rappers that had debuted around 1991. I imagine west coasters held Doggystyle in the same regard as Illmatic was thought of in NY?
Would be interested if anyone who was there could confirm/deny?
The big difference is snoop became increasingly thought of as a novelty rather than a legit rapper post doggystyle. While nas has remained regarded as a candidate for best rapper of all time even at present time.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

you're smoking mercury if you think this is better than doggystle.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

step one wrote:Nas gets a lot shots thrown at him for his catalogue post Illmatic but Snoop's albums after Doggystyle have been considerably more patchy.
Patchy is an understatement. Since Last Meal, dude was in LL Cool J territory = some R&B hits, crap albums, lazy lyricism, relevant for non-rap reasons.

People forget how fucking good Snoop used to be. Even Ego Trip had him in their top 20.

I mean they also had Nas ranked as the 16th best rapper ever, so they don't know that much, but still.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Snoop Dogg isn't supposed to be compared to Nas though... Snoop is Wendy Williams... Nas is more like Casey Kasem... this is royalty... what an ugly comparison... anyway Doggystyle is wack and Snoop is wack /delete thread... Zro > Snoop ... not even close

Post by 907 »

Has any other raper ever had a classic like Snoop did with Doggystyle, then never put out another good album again in their career?

The only thing I remember about The Last Meal is disappointment.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

907 wrote:Has any other raper ever had a classic like Snoop did with Doggystyle, then never put out another good album again in their career?

The only thing I remember about The Last Meal is disappointment.
Cannibal Ox probably the only other that comes to mind.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

At least with Can Ox their output was limited... you can imagine a world maybe where they get it together and drop something dope again... although again I think Doggystyle is so fucking overhyped and corny but I guess that comes with overplay... Idk... You guys are probably right and I was high when I made this thread :rofl: ... i'd honestly have to revist doggystyle but basically every single song I can recall from it I have no interest in EVER revisiting... Chronic stands up to the test of time... don't feel doggystyle did... and them wack rhymes he was kicking honestly... was quite bootylicious