Paid In Full

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Paid In Full

Post by Philaflava »

30 years ago I didn’t know shit about hip-hop. I knew about Run-DMC, but that was it. Rakim said, “it ain’t where ya from, it’s where ya at,” and that applies to age too. I didn’t need to own Paid In Full in ‘87 to know how much it meant. I never saw Ali fight, and I’m well aware of his GOAT status. Never saw Babe Ruth swing a bat or Jim Brown truck linebackers in the 60s. You can’t always “BE DOWN” or have “LIVED IT.” It’s impossible to do that. Sometimes we’re fortunate to have seen greatness. It’s why MJ will always be the GOAT, no matter what LeBron does. I didn’t understand Rakim until the early 90s. I was too young back then. Too busy collecting Don Mattingly, Dwight Gooden or Wade Boggs cards in ’87. It’s like how my 6 year old boy is more into Pokemon than into Kendrick Lamar. Maybe that changes overtime, maybe not, but it’s ok to learn, love and appreciate things later on in life. Knowledge of self! Rakim, despite some hiatuses and an underwhelming catalog post the mid 90s, is still the GOAT. Many are quick to say Jay or Nas, and yeah, sure they have a much lengthier catalog. They had way more success and they made albums that changed the landscape of hip-hop. Without Rakim those guys wouldn’t exist tho. He influenced everyone. Elevated lyricism more than anyone artist in the genre. He defined what an emcee really meant. He is the complete package with the sickiest voice and wisdom light years ahead of the rest. Paid In Full was a game changer. The same way It Takes A Nation, Illmatic, Ready To Die or 36 Chambers was. It was Paid In Full that separated the boys from the men. From the rappers to emcees. From the nice to the nicest. He might not be as relevant today and we all know his live performance is like watching paint dry, but if you ever want to remind yourself what greatness is start with Paid In Full, Follow The Leader, Let The Rhythm Hit ‘Em and proceed to Don’t Sweat The Tech. He could have stopped rapping in ‘92 and still had been the GOAT. Every rapper is algebra, while Rakim is and has always been calculus. Most people know algebra. It’s easier to understand, but we all feared calculus. Most never got it, they still don't. #rakim #philaflava

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Re: Paid In Full

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

+ the G.O.A.T posse pic

An album with highlights so unfuckwithable, not even Chinese Arithmetic could ruin them.

As The Rhyme Goes On is the sleeper cut.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

My Melody is tied for my favorite song ever with Nas Halftime.

Rakim Allah top 5 no matter what.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:Image

30 years ago I didn’t know shit about hip-hop. I knew about Run-DMC, but that was it. Rakim said, “it ain’t where ya from, it’s where ya at,” and that applies to age too. I didn’t need to own Paid In Full in ‘87 to know how much it meant. I never saw Ali fight, and I’m well aware of his GOAT status. Never saw Babe Ruth swing a bat or Jim Brown truck linebackers in the 60s. You can’t always “BE DOWN” or have “LIVED IT.” It’s impossible to do that. Sometimes we’re fortunate to have seen greatness. It’s why MJ will always be the GOAT, no matter what LeBron does. I didn’t understand Rakim until the early 90s. I was too young back then. Too busy collecting Don Mattingly, Dwight Gooden or Wade Boggs cards in ’87. It’s like how my 6 year old boy is more into Pokemon than into Kendrick Lamar. Maybe that changes overtime, maybe not, but it’s ok to learn, love and appreciate things later on in life. Knowledge of self! Rakim, despite some hiatuses and an underwhelming catalog post the mid 90s, is still the GOAT. Many are quick to say Jay or Nas, and yeah, sure they have a much lengthier catalog. They had way more success and they made albums that changed the landscape of hip-hop. Without Rakim those guys wouldn’t exist tho. He influenced everyone. Elevated lyricism more than anyone artist in the genre. He defined what an emcee really meant. He is the complete package with the sickiest voice and wisdom light years ahead of the rest. Paid In Full was a game changer. The same way It Takes A Nation, Illmatic, Ready To Die or 36 Chambers was. It was Paid In Full that separated the boys from the men. From the rappers to emcees. From the nice to the nicest. He might not be as relevant today and we all know his live performance is like watching paint dry, but if you ever want to remind yourself what greatness is start with Paid In Full, Follow The Leader, Let The Rhythm Hit ‘Em and proceed to Don’t Sweat The Tech. He could have stopped rapping in ‘92 and still had been the GOAT. Every rapper is algebra, while Rakim is and has always been calculus. Most people know algebra. It’s easier to understand, but we all feared calculus. Most never got it, they still don't. #rakim #philaflava
When is Rakim's shelved Aftermath album getting leaked tho? :killacam:

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Nice tribute to how you feel about The R's cultural impact!

Yes Paid In Full is something else, it seemed like a song from that LP was a must-have in the mix of every top DJ I listened to in my teens. I didn't get the album til about '94 which I found on vinyl in the basement of my building that someone threw out in a stack of classics. 125th St in Harlem where they shot the crowd street scene for the I Ain't No Joke video is a large part of my childhood, I remember my mother buying my clothes at a store called Lazarus 1 block West from the location. I hope to attend a live performance of Eric B & Rakim for the 1st time soon.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i had "i ain't no joke" in '88 on this compilation that Priority put out.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Rap-The ... ter/343985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i used to love going to record stores peepin what Rapmasters
comps were out back then.

first time i heard the Coldcut remix of "Paid In Full" on the radio
in Utica, NY around summer 1988, i thought the DJ on air was
mixing it live and said DJ had skills, hah.
actually i never even heard the album version until many years later.

don't think i ever even heard "Paid In Full" front to back until
maybe 5 years ago.

When "The 18th Letter" came out, there was a double disc
version that had all the singles from "I Know You Got Soul" to
"Paid In Full" up to "Don't Sweat The Technique" dubbed
their "Greatest Hits CD", which is what I am mostly familiar with.
https://www.discogs.com/Rakim-The-18th- ... se/2831080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i can't even remember listening to the actual 18th Letter album.
i consider most of Rakim's output after, say, 1997 to be mediocre at best.

then again, most of "Paid In Full" is a singles collection and having
the singles on wax is way more interesting than the LP version,
in my opinion. OG Pressings don't even have the Coldcut remix.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

double post
Last edited by gusty wingers on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

dope album but I always liked Ra's newer stuff a bit more... he really started to find a groove and make strides as a multi dimensional musician

ric

Post by ric »

18th letter book of life double album is underrated

that said it seems to me rakims last high quality verse was on the Nike Air force one promotion concept song classic produced by dj premier

the original song of which is here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uheNKhLTpjU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the video of which is here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCU-qgR_4bM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

that shit was so dope when it dropped... "age don't count in the booth, when your flow stays submerged in the fountain of youth"...

Versive

Post by Versive »

Philaflava wrote: I didn’t need to own Paid In Full in ‘87 to know how much it meant. I never saw Ali fight, and I’m well aware of his GOAT status. Never saw Babe Ruth swing a bat or Jim Brown truck linebackers in the 60s. You can’t always “BE DOWN” or have “LIVED IT.” It’s impossible to do that. Sometimes we’re fortunate to have seen greatness. It’s why MJ will always be the GOAT, no matter what LeBron does. I didn’t understand Rakim until the early 90s. I was too young back then. Too busy collecting Don Mattingly, Dwight Gooden or Wade Boggs cards in ’87. It’s like how my 6 year old boy is more into Pokemon than into Kendrick Lamar. Maybe that changes overtime, maybe not, but it’s ok to learn, love and appreciate things later on in life.
Couldn't have put it better myself. It's upsetting how often this argument has to be reiterated, but what's most important is that the legacy stands, as new generations, mine and the next included, continue to appreciate the greatness.

Here are some fun, related posts I've done over the years. This seems as good a place as any to share:

Paid In Full Posse Pictures
Behind the Boards of Coldcut's 7 Minutes of Madness Mix
I Aint No Joke Radio Promo Remix
Rakim: The Early Years (Oral History)

All of the materials compiled in these posts came from other sources, so shouts to everyone who's done their part to pay it forward.

step one

Post by step one »

ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Image

When is Rakim's shelved Aftermath album getting leaked tho? :killacam:
all i've heard is "after you die" and a beat -- i forget the title but it's Xplosive with diff drums
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Album came out before i was born. Didn't hear it until I was almost 18. Can't agree with the first post more though.
Philaflava wrote:He might not be as relevant today and we all know his live performance is like watching paint dry, but if you ever want to remind yourself what greatness is start with Paid In Full, Follow The Leader, Let The Rhythm Hit ‘Em and proceed to Don’t Sweat The Tech.
I met him at a signing in '09 while he was promoting Seventh Seal. Line for autographs was basically non existent after a half hour. Felt pretty sad. When I got to him in line though, couldn't have been nicer. Has a presence to him.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

this isnt any kind of hot take or anything but still to this day when i listen to paid in full its unfathomable to me how far ahead of his time rakim was

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yeah, it's hard for me to fully appreciate it, being that I was an infant at the time, but I always love hearing anecdotes about the first time people heard Rakim; like he came from the future.

I was thinking yesterday about how Jay and him are about the same age, yet Jay didn't hit until a decade later. It's as if Rakim was literally a man out of time.