Top 50 Hip Hop Album Of All Time?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Re: Top 50 Hip Hop Album Of All Time?

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

clark bent wrote:no one can do it better is overrated as hell because of a car crash...its got a significant amount of filler

doggstyle is carried by its handful of admittedly great songs but the rest is meh

for a long time ive tried to convince myself of blueprints classic status but i cant do it and its def not on the same planet as 93 til which has zero weak songs and a lot of great ones with some of the best production ever

i mean this goes back to the favorite v. best thing again but i feel like you overvalue albums because of big names (jay/snoop/dre and d.o.c.) or reputation rather than the actual tracks that they contain...if im wrong on that then i suppose we just have completely different tastes
with you on everything but snoop. doggystyle>>chronic
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Argument is circular in a lot of ways. A list of the top 50-100 albums is so subjective, it's hard to justify there being anything definitive where you couldn't put a classic album, like 93 Til Infinity, within it and have it considered absurd.

ric

Post by ric »

efil4zaggin
jeru (I mean please top 50? ever?)
blackmoon
alkaholiks
cypress hill top 25?
brand nubian at 15?????
run DMC at #1???? even after that rakim thread?

may as well have spice one up in there
maybe I missed it no soul on ice ras kass?
if you're doing impact albums no 2livecrew?

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

he did put 2 live crew at 14... a pick I don't really support but I guess it's really impossible... props for even attempting to make a list... I would have when rappers attack and leak bros on a top 100... I can see how nobody is going to sign off on an entire list... as far as the sun rises I would try my best to fit it into a top 50... definitely makes the top 100... it could be #1 (call me crazy if you'd like) but if there wasn't surrounding energy around the classics like illmatic and the other obvious choices Sun Rises is as good as any album...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ric wrote:efil4zaggin
jeru (I mean please top 50? ever?)
blackmoon
alkaholiks
cypress hill top 25?
brand nubian at 15?????
run DMC at #1???? even after that rakim thread?

may as well have spice one up in there
maybe I missed it no soul on ice ras kass?
if you're doing impact albums no 2livecrew?
i've said this a few times, but there is no ORDER. and if you don't think enta da stage belongs, we just think differently.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
clark bent wrote:no one can do it better is overrated as hell because of a car crash...its got a significant amount of filler

doggstyle is carried by its handful of admittedly great songs but the rest is meh

for a long time ive tried to convince myself of blueprints classic status but i cant do it and its def not on the same planet as 93 til which has zero weak songs and a lot of great ones with some of the best production ever

i mean this goes back to the favorite v. best thing again but i feel like you overvalue albums because of big names (jay/snoop/dre and d.o.c.) or reputation rather than the actual tracks that they contain...if im wrong on that then i suppose we just have completely different tastes
with you on everything but snoop. doggystyle>>chronic
i cant argue with that at all...i give a slight edge to the chronic but theres very little separation to me...both albums are almost entirely carried by their singles and the rest of each album is pretty forgettable imo
pradadon wrote:One thing I learned from this thread is Clark Bent is serious about this shit. Not playing games.. Icy Blu is likely going to hold a grudge, though. I guess he should be happy to get a mention out of this. lol no clue who that is.
she

think the female vanilla ice but much worse
Doogs wrote:That's dope that you listed your lowest rated ones! I have this bad habit of getting rid of albums that I hate. Like, I had multiple Canibus albums at one point. At age thirty two, that kind of thing would be embarrassing to defend. I probably bought albums somewhere in the 500 - 600 range though, and it's been over a decade since i was really actively buying
i keep everything once i get it and back in the day i would literally buy everything and anything for the right price...i have so many 99 cent used cd's and i bet 1/3 of my 1000 plus cd's were 2.99 or less

with you as far as not getting much anymore but i probably go back closer to 15 years since ive actively pursued purchasing hip hop albums

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Doogs wrote:That's dope that you listed your lowest rated ones! I have this bad habit of getting rid of albums that I hate. Like, I had multiple Canibus albums at one point. At age thirty two, that kind of thing would be embarrassing to defend. I probably bought albums somewhere in the 500 - 600 range though, and it's been over a decade since i was really actively buying
I lost so many CDs over the years, it's actually pretty frustrating. Even some stuff I'd never listen to again, like all the early Cash Money albums, still regret losing them.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Absolutely top 50 and I would go higher than that in the 1-20 range.

I posed this question 7 years ago on UGHH (Jesus time flies). Most people seem to have it in their top 20.

https://www.undergroundhiphop.com/forum ... hYear=2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;