How Many Mics?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

How Many Mics?

Post by stype_ones »

The high points on this album are fuckin incredible. The skits throughout are pretty annoying, but the music makes up for it.

4 Mics to me. Invetro is worth the price by itself.

I remember a sort of negative response to this album back then. Transitional time for Hip Hop I suppose.

unclebengi

Re: How Many Mics?

Post by unclebengi »

Ya'll should know by now how much love I have for this album. I'm always singing it's praises. It's not a perfect album, but it really has become my favorite Organized Konfusion album and is a personal classic to me. I'd give it 5 mics based on the value I've gotten out of it. It's a true concept album, more so than pretty much any other concept album I can think of. Bout to listen to it right now.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I can tell I'm gonna want to listen to Internal Affairs now too, God Damn those two albums have aged well

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I would give it a 3.5 or 4 mics. Yes I agree on both points of the highs & skits. I never played Equinox nearly as much as Extinction Agenda or their debut and couldn't put my finger on why til now. I realize now it's the skits that kinda slow down the momentum of the album. Nevertheless I'm quick to throw on Questions, Numbers & Some How Some Way which are my favorites from the album.

I remember meeting Prince & Pharoahe in Harlem during their promo run for Equinox. It was at WHCR 90.3 FM in City College where Puff threw the party were people got killed and almost got Nice & Smooth trampled. My man Kwame Veer the host interviewed them about the album as I watched, with Prince Po eating a hot chicken and broccoli meal straight from the chinese store out the styrofoam container. The studio was small, like twice the size of a public bathroom which made it a cool spot for like minded music heads to vibe with each other. Monch and Po were cool people, they each stopped and gave me a pound as they exited the radio studio.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

unclebengi wrote:I can tell I'm gonna want to listen to Internal Affairs now too, God Damn those two albums have aged well
Queens is one of my favorite joints. Southside Jamaica was the place for kids to go get their kicks and gear. Jewelry.. I used to cut school and go there all the time in the early 90's. One of my good friends who passed in 92 was from 40. Nostalgic shit.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

fatboybrandon wrote:I would give it a 3.5 or 4 mics. Yes I agree on both points of the highs & skits. I never played Equinox nearly as much as Extinction Agenda or their debut and couldn't put my finger on why til now. I realize now it's the skits that kinda slow down the momentum of the album. Nevertheless I'm quick to throw on Questions, Numbers & Some How Some Way which are my favorites from the album.

I remember meeting Prince & Pharoahe in Harlem during their promo run for Equinox. It was at WHCR 90.3 FM in City College where Puff threw the party were people got killed and almost got Nice & Smooth trampled. My man Kwame Veer the host interviewed them about the album as I watched, with Prince Po eating a hot chicken and broccoli meal straight from the chinese store out the styrofoam container. The studio was small, like twice the size of a public bathroom which made it a cool spot for like minded music heads to vibe with each other. Monch and Po were cool people, they each stopped and gave me a pound as they exited the radio studio.
That chicken and broc must have stunk that studio up! haha

Yeah, I can't take Equinox over their first two, but it holds up well. Organized were amazing and one of the best groups ever as far as I'm concerned.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I remember I got into a debate with Bobbito on his old Bounce Mag blog over which was better between their first two albums. He of course was all about the self titled and while I of course loved that album, I just think Stress is the better overall album.

Speaking of this, does anyone have the full Simply II Positive Demo? I used to have it and I can't fuckin find it and it's getting me tight.

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

Too many skits and lots of bland production and like 4 to 5 phenomenal songs yo

To be fair I didn't grow up in the golden age. I got in around the millennium

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

I love that album, not one bad song on it and I'm lucky to still have it on cassette.

I really love "Numbers", "Questions", "Move" and the bonus track with Ill Rahlos/Medicine Men. The skits get annoying but I would give it 4 mics

My only critique is they should have made full songs out of "9x's Out Of 10" and "They Don't Want It"

Nigga Star Luster!

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

album aged well. it was one of the better 97 albums for sure ... although OK's first 2 albums set a very high standard, "the equinox" was a worthy follow-up. I would rate if 7/10.

for those who think the skits are annoying, here's an edited version that leaves the skits out and includes a couple of tracks Organized recorded around the same timeframe: http://filehorst.de/d/bAhjEImw

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i was always impressed with how crisp and clean the production on this album was....sound quality is off the charts and very dre like....its one of the few albums where if you take a song off of it and put it on a mix you actually have to turn it down when it comes on

stress is a much better album but it always annoyed me with how low the sound level on it was....when equinox came out i was like holy shit is this the same group?
Last edited by clark bent on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

if i'm being honest with myself, about 3.5

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

clark bent wrote:i was always impressed with how crisp and clean the production on this album was....sound quality is off the charts and very dre like....its one of the few albums where if you take a song off of it and put it on a mix you actually have to turn it down when it comes on
Priority Records?

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

hmmmm interesting...didnt even realize it was on priority....that might have something to do with it

chris conway also mixed it and he did numerous records where he worked with artists who were more dusty and low-fi sounding and cleaned them up....diamonds second album...oc jewelz....sadat wild cowboys...lord finesse EP

also much of the stuff hes worked on is by and large crispy clean and loud sounding...marshall mathers lp....big pun...newer beatnuts stuff...dead wrong and others

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

'In Vitro'... forgot about that joint. Another 'great minds think alike' moment, word to Nas and 'Belly Button Window' and 'Stray Bullet' vs. 'I Gave You Power'

doing hip hop time travel is pretty fun now

see what still sounds fresh and what is blah. 'Internal Affairs' still jams for the most part, what a colorful album. Rawkus really coulda been a contender. They shit the entire bed so bad :rofl:

Yeah, this is Priority Records. Don't you remember how bad they strung along Organized Konfusion? Probably the poster children for 'amazing ass group on a weak ass label that does NOT prioritize them at all and thus their fate is trapped in limbo until FUCK'. This was the situation that made MANY underground heads aware of label politricks. They drop 'Stress' in 94, and then we had to wait THREE YEARS for 'The Equinox', even though 'Extinction Agenda' was pretty universally acclaimed??? FUCK THE WORLD. People were dropping albums every year or year and a half in those times. To wait 2 years to drop an album was to be either an indecisive asshole, dealing with some shitty hood tragedy, or totally fucked by your label. To wait 3 years was to simply be downright fucking insane.

this TOTALLY was a transitional time for hip hop. you couldn't just be "really fucking next level dope" and sell 200,000 copies on a major label anymore, and this album was kinda the death knell of that reality. which is why when we next heard from Pharoahe Monch, he wasn't pondering the 'Decisions, Decisions to make'... he was straight up barking in your fucking ear like "GET THE FUCK UP" over a loud ass Godzilla loop :ironmike:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Just such a stepdown from extinction agenda which is one of the best albums ever...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Damn, I almost forgot about this album. Listening to it right now. I'd personally give it 3.5 or 4 mics.
Thanks Kool Max Power for that edited link with the bonus tracks....I only had this album on vinyl.

J_Preme

Post by J_Preme »

pradadon wrote:I remember I got into a debate with Bobbito on his old Bounce Mag blog over which was better between their first two albums. He of course was all about the self titled and while I of course loved that album, I just think Stress is the better overall album.

Speaking of this, does anyone have the full Simply II Positive Demo? I used to have it and I can't fuckin find it and it's getting me tight.

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/#!zJsWTSLI!9UlRciD3M_diRkxyAnJmMSRnWv2hXTb9n3Ws9d9zgyM

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

3 ½. Those skits... :jaz:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

J_Preme wrote:
pradadon wrote:I remember I got into a debate with Bobbito on his old Bounce Mag blog over which was better between their first two albums. He of course was all about the self titled and while I of course loved that album, I just think Stress is the better overall album.

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/#!zJsWTSLI!9UlRciD3M_diRkxyAnJmMSRnWv2hXTb9n3Ws9d9zgyM

Good lookin!

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Y'all are sleeping on Sin.

Confession now that I'm old: this was the first OK record I bought.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

^^^^You should do a song with Mindbender. :pedodids: :icedit: :retard:
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

In 1997, Pharoahe Monch was the greatest MC in the world imo, so this album is a classic as far as I'm concerned. The quality of his lyrics would take a precipitous drop shortly thereafter, but his prodigious talents as displayed on Equinox are something to behold.

This is my go-to OK album because it never gets played out. If I was hearing all of their albums for the first time, it would rank #3.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?