Mozzy Thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

unclebengi

Mozzy Thread

Post by unclebengi »

Took me a minute to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm all aboard now. He definitely deserves his own thread. Mozzy/Gunplay project was great, but Mozzy's new solo album 1 Up Top Ahk is even better IMO. He's the rare gangsta rapper that really packs in interesting details without losing his edge or straightforward aesthetic. Sacramento really seems to have it's own sound right now that's hard to pin down. Anyone have any other recs from Sactown?

Here's an early favorite off the new album-

I'll post up some vids/songs once I get off work.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Mozzy Thread

Post by drizzle »

Bladadah and Yellow Tape Activities are great tapes to start with. His other collab tapes aside from Gunplay are pretty strong too
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Many of us first found out about Mozzy from the :phila:'s own Rey.

His Tonite Show with DJ Fresh, Goonbody Embodiment and Bladadah are by far his strongest albums to me. The Political Ties album with Philthy Rich is surprisingly good because Mozzy stepped out of his comfort zone somewhat, and Philthy kept his trendy hackishness in check.

Not heard the new album yet, but his more recent releases have suffered from either being too one-note or being littered with guest verses from whoever's currently trendy + past-it hacks.

The fact that he has Lil' Durk and Dave East on the same song puts me off from even listening to this new one :lol:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I like the new album aside from a few guest spots that don't really do anything but take up space that could be Mozzy verses, it's polished and has some really great tracks. But I think the tape with Gunplay will still hold as my favorite thing he's done this year.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Iono...this album is pretty incredible. The Gunplay album will always be a better album to get hype to, but this one has sooo many A+ songs- Mandated, Like You Say You Do, Sleep Walkin, Tomorrow Ain't Promised, Momma We Made It, M.I.P, Afraid, & Fall Off to name more than a few. Even the more obvious commercial compromises aren't really that and fit within the context of the album fine, a great summer album.

david111

Post by david111 »

new album is way better than the gunplay project which has a couple great beats and verses but some weird choruses & generally unmemorable songs

I think the new album is really super substantial, the production is more one note than I think it needed to be but I see why they did it, draws attention to his lyrics. But I think busier songs from Gangland Landscape like 'baldheaded,' 'chop stixx,' 'bounce out,' 'smaller than a dot' could be built on as well as they've built on beats like 'dead and gone' and 'neva take away.'

I also dont know why no one ever mentions Gangland Landscape among his best tapes except that most ppl outside Sac got on board after it, w/ Bladadah. Bladadah is equally good (maybe even slightly less consistent across the board) but doesn't really capture his chemistry with June Onna Beat.

Yellow Tape is just a bunch of Gangland Landscape throwaways imo, although obviously 2015 Mozzy throwaways are top tier shit

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

david111 wrote:new album is way better than the gunplay project which has a couple great beats and verses but some weird choruses & generally unmemorable songs
I don't have a smarter reason for preferring the Gunplay tape beyond the fact that it's 2 rappers who I really enjoy hearing who seem to be really enjoying rapping alongside each other. It's a very fun low stakes project, just good rapping for the sake of itself, mostly unconcerned about the showing seams or what it will do to the artists' careers. Rough spots are inevitable, but imo are easier to overlook in things like this than in projects meant to make more definitive artistic statements.

1 Up Top is surely superior by any conventional measure of ranking albums, but at the moment it's like handing me an instagrammable plate of food when I really just want to tear up some slices of ham while standing over a sink

also I want friends that will put as much emotion into caring about me as Gunplay expresses when he adlibs FOR MY DAWGS... CAUSE THEY'RE MY DAWGS!

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Mozzy dope. I fucks with him.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

New Mozzy album available on all streaming platforms, track list is a lil more feature heavy than I would prefer, but I trust Mozzy's quality control, can't wait to give it a listen tonight.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the solo songs on the new album are great, the features are a little variable but i do appreciate the small scope coke dreams that produced some of these feature combos

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Shits good. Like most Mozzy projects I’ll make my own version out of the solo joints.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

gotta keep Thugz Mansion tho

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

I like that joint he did with $tupid Young ("Mando") because I'm fascinated by asian gangsters.

Check out BOE Sosa from sac who I think is signed to Mozzy. It's a young kid with the best haircut since the boosie fade. that shit go hard

And speaking of boosie, anyone seen his new signee Lil Blurry? Now that shit there is an unsolved mystery thats going down in history imo

Slack Jaw

Post by Slack Jaw »

sactown has an amazing scene i lived out there in 1995 and still got all my tapes

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye

Post by Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye »

Need more mozzy and gunplay

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye

Post by Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye »

https://youtu.be/xu7L0oA9QBI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lol hell yeah he listened

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Mozzy & Gunplay - Bail Bond (00:00)
Mozzy & Gunplay - Pain & Struggle (03:34)
Mozzy & Gunplay - Talk About It (07:06)
Mozzy & Gunplay - Money Maker (09:11)
Mozzy & Gunplay - Where I'm From (12:55)
Mozzy & Gunplay - The Hard Part (17:20)
Mozzy & Gunplay - Cold Case (18:23)
Mozzy & Gunplay - The Low (22:42)
Mozzy & Gunplay - Out Here Really (Remix) (26:36)
Mozzy & Gunplay - Where I'm From (Remix) (30:12)