General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

How many mics?

I have a playlist of all fly shit on my phone and "What You Won't Do For Love" came on and it instantly made me think of "Blowing Up In The World" so of course I had to throw 4,5,6 on right after.

I am admittedly a G Rap fanatic so it goes without saying that I was gassed for this album, and then to see a Nas feature in 95 was even more exciting. This was obviously the days before internet, and Stretch didn't play Fast Life until a few weeks before the album dropped. I remember calling the number in the back of the Source on 3 way with my man Ru to listen to Fast Life in the summer of 95 and being mad hyped.

For me, this album is 4 mics. It's a perfect listen front to back and G spits as vivid and ill as ever. I hold 5 mics dear so I won't call it that, and I can see where someone would say well in 95 it was 4 mics, but I almost hold it higher as the years go on and when comparing it to say Fat Joe's Jealous One's Envy or Az's Doe Or Die. I think it is better than the former and as good as the latter.

The Source gave it 4 mics.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Re: 4,5,6

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Yeah 4 mics with 5 reserved for the all time greatest. This is my fav G rap album cause I'm a young wavy dude and the 80s shit always sounded dated to me. This goes hard and even though fast life is a great sound that nas went on to perfect with AZ, i always liled those tuffer joints better.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

A fast life (original beat) edit without the corny R&B hook would be nice...

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:A fast life (original beat) edit without the corny R&B hook would be nice...
i don't think you understand the fast life homie
1. Nas
2. Drake

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Some great songs but not close to the best g rap album. I'd give it somewhere between 3.5 and 4 mics.

step one

Post by step one »

3 / 3.5

For Da Brothas being my favourite track on there
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

admiral

Post by admiral »

4 mics - short and sweet, great beats, no skits, no wack songs

Doesn't feel bloated like some of his other albums

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

4 sounds about right. Take 'Em To War is a fav. Blowing Up In The World remains the ultimate ride around feeling a certain kinda way at night song.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:A fast life (original beat) edit without the corny R&B hook would be nice...
I've always vastly preferred the Norfside remix, which I still think is maybe the single best east coast non-album song of the 90s, but back in the old days Thun recommended I put the original version on the first Yacht Rap mix and it was perfect in that context.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

It's A Shame is mid 90s Rap & Bullshit par excellence innit.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

drizzle wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
I've always vastly preferred the Norfside remix, which I still think is maybe the single best east coast non-album song of the 90s, but back in the old days Thun recommended I put the original version on the first Yacht Rap mix and it was perfect in that context.
My fav is prob the Vinly Reanimators remix...

My point was tho, I actually like the original beat a lot, but that R&B hook has to go...

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

3 ½

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

VR Remix is probably my favorite, but I liked the Norfside remix as well.

Buckwild's remix was ill too.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

yeah the buckwild remix is stellar

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I remember the Vinyl Reanimators remix of Fast Life being the 1st or 2nd record I ever bought at Fat Beats. That was back when they were in the East Village small basement spot where Bobbito's Footwork used to be.

https://soundcloud.com/cratesorjr-blogspot-com/kool-g-rap-ft-b-1-mf-grimm

Shit ain't never 'gon change.. Pete Rock & Marley Marl with another great unreleased gem.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:It's A Shame is mid 90s Rap & Bullshit par excellence innit.

And once again it's big G, runnin the number rackets
Wearin Pelle jackets
Fast loot tactics, I'm well up in the millionaire bracket
The boss of all bosses, I own racehorses and a fortress
Corridors with olympic torches and Mona Lisa portraits
Jacuzzis and saunas then eatin steak at Benihana's
Bentley's limousine, the front yard stream is full of pirahnas
I'm set, a private jet, I drink a lot of Beck's
Get a lot of sex, condo and duplex, diamond infested Rolex
The leather recliner and Wall Unit’s with Silver China
Sippin on finer wine-r you see more shines than diamond miners
The Highness, kingpin of heroin
I'm thorough when I have to bring the terror in
Handle business in each and every borough and
Town or city, I'm rollin like Frank Nitti, I'm rich and pretty
Back up kiddies, I got crimies that's grimy and gritty
A nigga that's spunky and likes to keep his pockets chunky
Makin most of my money, from all the dopefiends and junkies
I learned from the best the ones that's livin
And the ones that's put to rest
So I bless my chest with a vest and pack a Smith-N-Wes
And then I'm off to get the snaps, not the scraps
The game is be a real mack, the name is Kool G Rap

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

fatboybrandon wrote:I remember the Vinyl Reanimators remix of Fast Life being the 1st or 2nd record I ever bought at Fat Beats. That was back when they were in the East Village small basement spot where Bobbito's Footwork used to be.
went looking for more info on this and read a pretty good oral history of Fat Beats

link if anyone hasn't seen it - http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/20 ... al-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
drizzle wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
My fav is prob the Vinly Reanimators remix...

My point was tho, I actually like the original beat a lot, but that R&B hook has to go...
Loved this and the Norfside remix. Hated the original but I don't think my mind was ready for that kinda jiggyness , at that point in my life.

step one

Post by step one »

I always like that 80s soul vibe in a track but the Gooch is correct - the singing in Fast Life is a bit shit and unnecessary.
The Vinyl Reanimators mix is superb (as is the remix of De La's The Biznizz on the flipside) and was a more than valid substitute for the hard to find promo 12" of the Norfside remix back in the day
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I remember this night like it was yesterday

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Then there is always this. I'll never forget I went to Europe in the summer of 1995 and taped Stretch on Thursday night before I left on Friday night. Stretch played this song and during the first hook came on and said something to the effect of " the views of Kool G Rap do not reflect the views of the Stretch Armstrong show or WKCR". Pretty sure that was the only time he played this joint and I have looked far and wide for an mp3 rip of that, even in the Stretch thread in TROY but could never find it. But I swear it happened. He played G's verse from Take Em To War either right before or right after. Classic Hip Hop memory for me.

This shit is out of control. Could you imagine him trying to release a song like this in 2017? Even the freestyle above which eventually became Check A Bitch. Or Break A Bitch Neck. Whatever, it's all insane lmaoo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

"hey mister" is my all time go to song for when i was offend someone. It's fucking insane.

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

4.5, it's even better than The Source gave it credit for. There are no bad songs, only a couple mediocre beats, that's it.
No more Sasso. Now everybody call me Ron!

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

pradadon wrote:Then there is always this. I'll never forget I went to Europe in the summer of 1995 and taped Stretch on Thursday night before I left on Friday night. Stretch played this song and during the first hook came on and said something to the effect of " the views of Kool G Rap do not reflect the views of the Stretch Armstrong show or WKCR". Pretty sure that was the only time he played this joint and I have looked far and wide for an mp3 rip of that, even in the Stretch thread in TROY but could never find it. But I swear it happened. He played G's verse from Take Em To War either right before or right after. Classic Hip Hop memory for me.

This shit is out of control. Could you imagine him trying to release a song like this in 2017? Even the freestyle above which eventually became Check A Bitch. Or Break A Bitch Neck. Whatever, it's all insane lmaoo

that's a tough beat
1. Nas
2. Drake

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

T-Ray was a beast on the beats! Dr. Butcher had some hard shit to.
No more Sasso. Now everybody call me Ron!

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

always been a g rap fan but have never heard an entire album of his.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

pradadon wrote:Then there is always this. I'll never forget I went to Europe in the summer of 1995 and taped Stretch on Thursday night before I left on Friday night. Stretch played this song and during the first hook came on and said something to the effect of " the views of Kool G Rap do not reflect the views of the Stretch Armstrong show or WKCR". Pretty sure that was the only time he played this joint and I have looked far and wide for an mp3 rip of that, even in the Stretch thread in TROY but could never find it. But I swear it happened. He played G's verse from Take Em To War either right before or right after. Classic Hip Hop memory for me.

Extra P remix of break a bitch neck is godly, bruh

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

I'd give it a 4 (on some days felt more like a 4.5)
I think there was only 1 track I wasn't feelin that much on there.
This was also my favorite album of his. Loved the production on here more than his other albums.

Although I agree that the Fast Life remixes were really dope and normally I prefer those type of beats, I gotta say that the original Fast Life beat really fit the lyrics the best to me....pure opulence. Once mp3's came around, I added the Norfside RMX to the album

david111

Post by david111 »

Love this album. Original beat to "fast life" is best imo... classic R&B flip