A Comprehensive List of Posthumous Hip Hop Projects

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

TheBigSleep

A Comprehensive List of Posthumous Hip Hop Projects

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yesterday, on the thirtieth anniversary of Scott La Rock's death, I put together a list of every post-death physical release in rap music I could think of, along with a small write-up here.

There's been a bunch of posthumous releases already this year, with more supposedly still in the wings. And as I ask at the end of the article:

"So what's the best project listed? The worst? Your personal favorite? How many have you heard? How many did you not even know about? Anything you're aware of that wasn't included and should've been? Lemme know..."

fatboybrandon

Re: A Comprehensive List of Posthumous Hip Hop Projects

Post by fatboybrandon »

Nice list, my personal favorite is the Paul C. releases. I've heard only about half the projects on there but look forward to checking those I haven't.

Here's one for your list courtesy of Chopped Herring:

http://canned.choppedherringrecords.com ... et_id=1716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Everybody went their own way. Brick died from a heart attack, Wild juvenile got killed, Naughty Shorty killed somebody, now he's doing i think 25 to life and A-minor started acting."
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

:ohhh: Good work.

Best: Life After Death.

Worst: did that Pimp C album executively produced by Drake ever happen?

Re: Mac Dre, there's also those 3 Musical Life Of Mac Dre compilations Khayree put out in 2014 with a couple of previously unreleased tracks.

Re: Nate Dogg, he also has guest hooks on 2 songs on the Suga Free & Pimpin' Young album from 2015.

Others: Fat Tone who was mistakenly murdered for Mac Dre's death has a few posthumous projects; Chinx Drugz has 2 posthumous albums; there's definitely one posthumous Speaker Knockerz release.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

fatboybrandon wrote:Nice list, my personal favorite is the Paul C. releases. I've heard only about half the projects on there but look forward to checking those I haven't.
Yeah there's probably others that fit into that list of Paul C. releases too because of how rarely proper credit was given back then. Nice! Lemme know if you find somethin' new to you that ya especially enjoy.
fatboybrandon wrote:Here's one for your list courtesy of Chopped Herring:

"Everybody went their own way. Brick died from a heart attack, Wild Juvenile got killed..."
Thanks, this info is new to me, exactly the kind of stuff I'm lookin' for to help add on. I was thinking that just due to the nature of the years-later limited vinyl game that there were some I was probably missing, wouldn't be surprised if there's at least a couple more I've overlooked from some of the usual labels.
Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote: :ohhh: Good work.
Thanks man.
Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:Best: Life After Death.
Yeah, it'd be difficult for me to argue against that being at the top of the pile.
Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:Worst: did that Pimp C album executive produced by Drake ever happen?
:lol: Not a whole album I don't think but saddingly the lead single from The Naked Soul of Sweet Jones was featuring Drake.
Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:Re: Mac Dre, there's also those 3 Musical Life Of Mac Dre compilations Khayree put out in 2014 with a couple of previously unreleased tracks.
Really not sure how I spaced on including those, added.
Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:Re: Nate Dogg, he also has guest hooks on 2 songs on the Suga Free & Pimpin' Young album from 2015.
Good call, forgot about that one, added.
Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:Others: Fat Tone who was mistakenly murdered for Mac Dre's death has a few posthumous projects; Chinx Drugz has 2 posthumous albums; there's definitely one posthumous Speaker Knockerz release.
When making the list initially, I briefly checked for but didn't see anything for posthumous Fat Tone, I'll have to check back on that. Chinx is already on there, with both of his albums listed, unless you meant two additional albums. I thought I remember reading that about Speaker Knockerz too and had looked into it but didn't see anything after a cursory glance. I'll go back and see what I can find, unless you know the names of any of these projects off the top.

Thanks again for the help fellas.

Oops, missed the Chinx on there.

This site has Fat Tone's legit discography:

http://thamidwest.com/rappers/fat-tone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3 posthumous releases since he was killed in 2005.
Last edited by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sidenote: this is my joint from the third Musical Life Of Mac Dre compilation:

Recorded in 1997 for Khayree's The Blackalation but unreleased until 2014. Too #Woke For Da Fuckin' Album?

G.O.A.T posthumous Dre song alongside the remix of Cadillac Girl.

ANU

Post by ANU »

lil snupe has a posthumous album

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

life after death is kinda cheating since dude had his album turned in before death.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

"It's always about how some record doesn't count because it was finished before death..."

The prophecy holds true!

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

https://soundsci.bandcamp.com/album/dig-for-victory-ep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funky project by one of my favorite groups, featuring Jax from Binkis who passed in 2008.

Reissue of Guru’s very first demo tape as MC Keithy E in 2013

http://thefindmag.com/news/news-reissue ... -keithy-e/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:There's definitely one posthumous Speaker Knockerz release.
Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:Fat Tone... three posthumous releases since he was killed in 2005.
ANU wrote:Lil Snupe has a posthumous album.
fatboybrandon wrote:Jax from Binkis.
Reissue of Guru’s very first demo tape as MC Keithy E.
Added all these. I'll add the Da Henchmen releases too if / when I can narrow down when either Brick or Wild Juvenile died. For now they both got added to my requesting more info list on the comments page. Thanks again everybody.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

SUC owns this list

Pimp C may say Screw was the biggest lost from the south

I think you forgot Big Moe

Tighten up homie

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Didn't forget Big Moe, did forget that forgettable Unfinished Business album. So I went back and added that too.