gusty wingers

Re: How Many Mics- Life After Death

Post by gusty wingers »

LAD isn't in the same world as RTD...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

djfilthyrich wrote:I think LAD is a 4-mic album. I agree with Step One....it's almost impossible for an album this long to be 5 mics.

To me, the wack tracks were:

Fuck You Tonight
I Love The Dough (mainly because of the hook & beat....only room for 1 commercial disco-type joint which is Mo Money Mo Problems)
Another
Playa Hater (despite the comedy involved, I still can't bare to listen to this track)
Nasty Boy

Considering there were about 12 songs per disc. that's almost half of 1 CD. If those tracks were removed, it'd be 4.5 mics to me.....dope, but still not as good as Ready To Die IMO (which I'd rate 5 mics). The rawness isn't there on this album like it was on RTD, which I blame on Puffy. All things considered though, still one of the best hip hop double albums of all-time
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned more in this thread. The production as a whole on LAD is too polished, especially when compared to RTD.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I think the polished production is one of the highlights of the album. As a result, an album that would have been sort of all over the place from a sonic standpoint actually becomes cohesive. It's why the hardcore songs go so well back to back with the R&B sampled songs.

He just kicks so many styles on this album. I think that shit gets lost in 2017, whether talking about new music or revisiting old music. Flipping different and new styles is what makes an MC. Different flows and cadences. I really think Big ran the gamut over the 2 discs in terms of styles and really nailed it on every verse.

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

stypeones wrote: He just kicks so many styles on this album. I think that shit gets lost in 2017, whether talking about new music or revisiting old music. Flipping different and new styles is what makes an MC. Different flows and cadences. I really think Big ran the gamut over the 2 discs in terms of styles and really nailed it on every verse.

Bingo

And i think " Notorious Thugs" is godawful as a song, but i still listen to his verse regularly. Glad he went first so i can skip immediately after.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^fisher price my first bonethugz track

the pac joint is harder
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

step one

Post by step one »

This was the first album to try and do something to appeal to all regions / markets right? The Bone track, the west coast joint, the Too Short and R Kelly features. Then Jay made that his formula for the next 3 albums and everyone else followed.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one wrote:This was the first album to try and do something to appeal to all regions / markets right? The Bone track, the west coast joint, the Too Short and R Kelly features. Then Jay made that his formula for the next 3 albums and everyone else followed.
Yea, and that formula produced shitty rap music for many years to come.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:^fisher price my first bonethugz track

the pac joint is harder
Notorious thugs was nice, but yea thug luv is def better.

DJ Screw version of Thug Luv>>>>>>>>>

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
step one wrote:This was the first album to try and do something to appeal to all regions / markets right? The Bone track, the west coast joint, the Too Short and R Kelly features. Then Jay made that his formula for the next 3 albums and everyone else followed.
Yea, and that formula produced shitty rap music for many years to come.
+1 ... much prefer the cohesiveness of RTD... grimy from front to back... like he was possessed... it's not even close
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

on its surface even asking the question as to what is better RTD or LAD is ludicrous imo...and thats not a knock on LAD which is excellent

ready to die v. life after death is akin to comparing street level to stone crazy or infamous to hell on earth

the debut records in these cases (infamous is a debut as far as im concerned) are quintessential dusty golden era produced classics that are legit top 10 all time level albums and the follow ups are crispy clean produced albums that served as bridges btwn the golden era and the platinum era

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

clark bent wrote:on its surface even asking the question as to what is better RTD or LAD is ludicrous imo...and thats not a knock on LAD which is excellent

ready to die v. life after death is akin to comparing street level to stone crazy or infamous to hell on earth

the debut records in these cases (infamous is a debut as far as im concerned) are quintessential dusty golden era produced classics that are legit top 10 all time level albums and the follow ups are crispy clean produced albums that served as bridges btwn the golden era and the platinum era
Ehhhh, hell on earth is crispy clean? That's the last expression I'd use to describe that album...

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

the way the album sounds in terms of mixing and mastering it is....not necessarily the samples/beats themselves...the samples are mos def eerie and dark but to my ears the sound of the album is much more crisp and clean (as well as louder)

not to this extent but the way something made on a four track recorder versus a computer would sound different

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

clark bent wrote:the way the album sounds in terms of mixing and mastering it is....not necessarily the samples/beats themselves...the samples are mos def eerie and dark but to my ears the sound of the album is much more crisp and clean (as well as louder)

not to this extent but the way something made on a four track recorder versus a computer would sound different
Ok yea, the way Hell on Earth was mixed is def way more clean, I agree. However, that album is still dark as fuck, arguably darker than the infamous.

The bottom line here is LAD is way more pop minded and commercial than RTD. There was a raw and gritty element of biggie's music and persona that existed on RTD that went missing on LAD. IMO, biggie's music was headed in a negative direction, and LAD signified that. Obviously biggie was still incredibly talented, but you can hear Puffy's influence becoming stronger.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i agree with all that but it obviously wasnt exclusive to biggie...all of rap music was headed in a terrible direction....with the exception of the indy scene which was in its wheelhouse at that time

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

clark bent wrote:i agree with all that but it obviously wasnt exclusive to biggie...all of rap music was headed in a terrible direction....with the exception of the indy scene which was in its wheelhouse at that time
blackstar>>life after death?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.