Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Choose your top two.

Apathy & O.C. – Perestroika
6%
Apollo Brown & Planet Asia – Anchovies
4%
Armand Hammer – Rome
20%
Bedwetter – Volume 1: Flick Your Tongue Against Your Teeth and Describe the Present.
No votes
Big K.R.I.T. – 4eva is a Mighty Long Time
4%
Billy Woods – Known Unknowns
4%
Brockhampton – SATURATION II
No votes
Freddie Gibbs – You Only Live 2wice
No votes
G Perico – All Blue
No votes
Joey Bada$$ – All-Amerikkkan Bada$$
4%
Jonwayne – Rap Album Two
2%
Mach-Hommy – HBO (Haitian Body Odor)
16%
Meyhem Lauren & DJ Muggs – Gems from the Equinox
20%
Open Mike Eagle – Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
12%
Sean Price – Imperius Rex
8%

Total votes: 50

TheBigSleep

Independent / Slept-On Album of 2017

Post by TheBigSleep »

Previous Winners:

2010 – Roc Marciano – Marcberg
2011 – Danny Brown – XXX
2012 – Lil Ugly Mane – Mista Thug Isolation
2013 – Black Milk – No Poison No Paradise
2014 – Atmosphere – Southsiders / Diamond District – March on Washington
2015 – Dr. Yen Lo – Days With Dr. Yen Lo
2016 – Aesop Rock – The Impossible Kid / Ka – Honor Killed the Samurai

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Independent / Slept-On Album of 2017

Post by Philaflava »

Meyhem & Muggs put together my favorite album of the year. Heat from start to finish.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

As much as I'd like to give it to Meyhem, HBO for me. To be honest, HBO is best release of the year, EP, Mixtape, Independent/Major included.

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

ome
armand hammer for me
and muggs lauren joint

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Brick Body Kids Still Daydream is the album which made me a OME fan.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Chose Sean P although I still need to check out most of the list. Many styles of Hip Hop have come and gone but I'll always love the mystique and rebellious attitude of slept-on underground Hip Hop before anything else.

One to add to the list: Turn Up The Fuckin' Bass Pt 2 is a slept-on indie gem imo. It gets no iller than listening to Bobbito reflect on the time he jetted through the gay parade in a state of panic with Sear.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

Armand Hammer & Mach Hommy

Shouts to OME for an AMAZING album though. Any other year, it'd take it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Some of my favorite stuff of the year on here

It's between Mach and Armand Hammer for me. Mach ended up being my favorite rapper of 2017, and HBO was his best release, but I'm giving the edge to Rome in this poll because HBO is technically from 2016. Otherwise I hold them in pretty much the same high regard.

G-Perico had a tremendous year, All Blue was on my list until last Friday when he put out an even better album.

The Meyhem/Muggs album is a really great little record that finally gives Meyhem an album that matches his talent and totally shits on most other younger rapper + classic producer releases.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Listened to Mach Hommy's other releases a lot more than HBO, since I couldn't buy the damn thing nor find a rip anywhere. Bandcamp rappers selling their shit at crazy prices is up there with lootboxes as far as despicable current trends go.

Only started listening to that Dopplegangaz album just recently, but I'm already wishing I discovered it over the summer, playing it along with that Le$ album during all the bbq's I had going on would have been perfect.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Versive wrote:Armand Hammer & Mach Hommy

Shouts to OME for an AMAZING album though. Any other year, it'd take it.
This is pretty much it, Known Unknowns is right there for me too. I also consider HBO a 2016 release, but have no beef with it being listed here.

As far as 2107 releases from Mach the order goes (Dumpmeister being the one true album of the year contender)-

Dumpmeister
Dump Gawd: Hommy Edition
The Spook EP
Dollar Menu 3
Fete Des Morts aka Dia De Los Muertos
Dollar Menu 1
Dollar Menu 2

I just found a rip of Dump Gawd: Hommy Edition if peeps are hunting any of these. Luh Hertz and The Gat are the two I haven't heard. They're 777.77 and 1000.00 each and have never leaked.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

those are the 2 I'm missing as well

kinda annoying that the ep with Earl leaked immediately because it's the ep with Earl, but these 2 haven't surfaced yet
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

a couple other albums that deserve recognition-

M9 - Old Pictures (has features from Mach-Hommy and Milano and gets better every time I listen)

Koncept Jack$on and Fly Anakin - Panama Plus (the best product from an outstanding up and coming Va crew, producer Tuamie really flexes throughout)
Last edited by unclebengi on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

OME and Mach for me.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

drizzle wrote:Some of my favorite stuff of the year on here

It's between Mach and Armand Hammer for me. Mach ended up being my favorite rapper of 2017, and HBO was his best release, but I'm giving the edge to Rome in this poll because HBO is technically from 2016. Otherwise I hold them in pretty much the same high regard.

G-Perico had a tremendous year, All Blue was on my list until last Friday when he put out an even better album.

The Meyhem/Muggs album is a really great little record that finally gives Meyhem an album that matches his talent and totally shits on most other younger rapper + classic producer releases.
:cheers:

I knew it would get brought up and that I had other safer options as far as Mach Hommy albums go, but considering how elusive, sought after, and discussed it was last year, coupled with the fact that nobody heard it unless you were one of the thirty seven or whatever people who shelled out for the physical copies, nobody actually heard HBO last year. I've seen others list it in some of this year's write-ups for that reason. It's the album that everyone who has heard him is going to know of if not be familiar with as a starter point, the one of his that truly put him on the map.

Plus it's fun just as a conversation piece that he's taken the high price limited style approach typically only seen in hip hop with unreleased projects recorded decades earlier, taking the throwaway aspect of today's music and flipping it on its head in order to drive the interest up.

G. Perico's second solo album of the year had dropped hours before I made this poll. We've been doing a November to November thing, so that would put that LP into next year's selections anyway (unless he bests himself yet again, in which case we'd go with whatever that one ends up being).

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

TheBigSleep wrote:
drizzle wrote:Some of my favorite stuff of the year on here

:cheers:

I knew it would get brought up and that I had other safer options as far as Mach Hommy albums go, but considering how elusive, sought after, and discussed it was last year, coupled with the fact that nobody heard it unless you were one of the thirty seven or whatever people who shelled out for the physical copies, nobody actually heard HBO last year. I've seen others list it in some of this year's write-ups for that reason. It's the album that everyone who has heard him is going to know of if not be familiar with as a starter point, the one of his that truly put him on the map.

Plus it's fun just as a conversation piece that he's taken the high price limited style approach typically only seen in hip hop with unreleased projects recorded decades earlier, taking the throwaway aspect of today's music and flipping it on its head in order to drive the interest up.

G. Perico's second solo album of the year had dropped hours before I made this poll. We've been doing a November to November thing, so that would put that LP into next year's selections anyway (unless he bests himself yet again, in which case we'd go with whatever that one ends up being).
Of the Mach albums released this year that I've heard, which is about half of them, I still consider HBO to be the best.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Hus Kingpin- Cocaine Beach deserves a mention. Shit is so gully.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

this is a jam but everything else on the album is joey buttass
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.