Eminem: 'Revival'

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

blastmaster
King Duggan

Re: Eminem: 'Revival'

Post by blastmaster »

He’s old and sober. How are we shocked that his music sucks? Seems like the joke is on you.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Is there a Ken Kaniff skit on this album?

Ken Kaniff skits >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eminem's music

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

blastmaster wrote:He’s old and sober. How are we shocked that his music sucks? Seems like the joke is on you.
Jay-Z is older than Eminem, and is probably just as sober, and CERTAINLY isn't indulging in the hustler's high of selling coke.

Jay-Z's 2017 music doesn't suck.

:killacam: :naswtf: :bunk: :omar:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:Jay-Z's 2017 music doesn't suck.
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
blastmaster wrote:He’s old and sober. How are we shocked that his music sucks? Seems like the joke is on you.
Jay-Z is older than Eminem, and is probably just as sober, and CERTAINLY isn't indulging in the hustler's high of selling coke.

Exactly. Jay-Z is a timeless artist, while Eminem was a drug-fueled TRL pop culture happening. Sure he had some popular songs, and at one point could rip a few bars, but maybe like three actual good songs that aren’t cringe-worthy these days. Eminem is closer to Lil Peep than Jay, only Lil Peep was real enough to die. Fuck a Eminem. Dude is Kid Rock with black friends.

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:My problem with eminem has always been the sound of his music

Like you couldn't ever be a DJ playing hip hop, and then throw an Eminem song in the mix, it just doesn't fit

My fav era of eminem was G Unit era eminem, as his songs with 50 alleviated this problem a bit
I know what you mean. Eminem was always better for personal listening than in a club, though songs like "Lose Yourself" go hard in any setting.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

Remember when eminem made beats ? He should at least keep to that for his production instead of this american idol / the voice treatment

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Part of his interview with complex recently
I hear somebody critique something that I do, that probably doesn't understand what I do. It would have to be a certain song, I'd have to give you an example, but I think that there's still a lot of people that don't understand compound syllable rhyming and being able to take entire sentences and make them rhyme and stuff like that. They might not hear that, so they're not gonna be able to appreciate that, because they hear what they hear and then, "Ah, man. That shit is wack." Okay, but maybe you don't understand what I'm doing.

I feel like one of the things that's happened to me over the years is rapping getting harder, but rhyming gets easier, if that makes any sense. One of my drawbacks I feel like that I did on the last album, The Marshall Mathers LP 2, was long verses, because I couldn't get the rhyme to end. In other words, when I think of a couple phrases or whatever it is, I think of so much shit that rhymes with it and connecting the syllables and doing all that, but by the time it's all said and done, is this different than anything I've done before? I've done a song like this, so now I don't like it because it may not be talking about anything. It may be just connecting words together and just to get a reaction, but it's not really that good. I don't know.

I feel like one of the things I'm very aware of and I think pretty in tune with, is I know that with me, the rage isn't there. I don't have the rage I did when I first came up. I was just coming out of my situation in life, so I was salty about a lot of shit and had a lot of rage and just said whatever was on my mind, but I don't know if I was as able to be as technical as I am now. I don't know if that's better or worse, I just know that rhyming gets easier because I think of more shit to rhyme with shit and I could keep it going probably, almost would seem like infinitely, just because…

Well, it's a skill you've been honing for decades upon decades.

Yeah, I've been doing this for a long time, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the songs are better.
So he knows his songs suck but can’t figure out how to fix it, surprisingly more self aware than I expected

step one

Post by step one »

Sounds like he has some sort of OCD with constructing multis tbh.

Watch his part in the Art Of Rap where's he's rapping Reckless with Ice T and doing NBN's Yoke The Joker, and then try and get your head around how the same dude - already set for life so has no need to chase the $$ - gets to a point where he agrees to making overblown pop records with Sheeran, Beyonce, Pink etc.

I just uploaded this recording of Eminem and Dr Dre live at Brixton Academy in May 2000, just before the Marshall Mathers LP came out. Only 30 minutes but it's about 50/50 songs from Dre/2001 and Em's first album. Quite enjoyable and really makes you wonder wtf happened to him

http://djstepone.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12 ... -2000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

blastmaster wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:

Exactly. Jay-Z is a timeless artist, while Eminem was a drug-fueled TRL pop culture happening. Sure he had some popular songs, and at one point could rip a few bars, but maybe like three actual good songs that aren’t cringe-worthy these days. Eminem is closer to Lil Peep than Jay, only Lil Peep was real enough to die. Fuck a Eminem. Dude is Kid Rock with black friends.
Word.

Eminem fucked up by stopping working/fucking with Dr. Dre.

Eminem also fucked up by not working/rapping with Royce 5'9".

Sadly, maybe Marshall needs to be broke and on drugs again to be dope. KANYESHRUG
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Eminem has always been awful. Never understood his appeal. Just the most toe-curling shite.

Like many rappers, the guy was told he was a genius and believed it and then decided he didn't need no-name producers like Dr Dre anymore and was perfectly well equipped to make records himself. I hope he's reading the reviews for this album.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

This album sold 250k the first week, which is number 1, but in comparison his last album sold 792,000

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

lowest sales total of his whole career. :ohsh:

certainly a reason to stop and think. :killacam:

imagine what the guy who wrote "Quitter" would think of this version of Marshall Mathers. :bunk:

"cleaning the toilets" :shittylikesometp:

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

eminem needs a producer like ANT or some dj that will match his personal style and guide him along for now on and stick around, an emcee DJ duo type deal .

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

https://davidbegun.bandcamp.com/album/m ... ul-brother" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mashup of legendary hip-hop producer Pete Rock with the illustrious lyricist Eminem. David Begun has layered Eminem's lyrics over the beats from the Petestrumentals album and mixing in various Pete Rock original samples and scratches to form a picture of what Eminem would have sounded like over one of the most acclaimed producers of hip-hop music in the 90's.
Without A Little Soul 04:51

Waiting For The Real Slim Shady 04:44

Walking By My Closet 05:11

Take The D (on't give a fuck) Train 03:29

Any Lesser Man 04:17

The Business of Pete's Jazz 05:34

Shady Boss 03:53

Involving Stan 05:14

Soldier's Frame of Mind 04:33

Get You Sailing Smooth 05:17

Give Y'All My Name 03:36

For The Guilty Conscience 03:34

Back On Da Block: The Encore 04:44

Hailie Plays At Night 06:00

step one

Post by step one »

No.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Pete Rock and Marshall Mathers? :naswtf: It actually works... but I feel weird listening to it.

Shit is dope though. WAAAAAAY FUCKING BETTER THAN EVERYTHING ON 'REVIVAL'.

This 'Stan' remix is actually better than the original.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

septic remix?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

were there any redeeming tracks off this album? i don't have the stomach to listen past they beyonce joint
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

chloraseptic is ok
1. Nas
2. Drake

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

The remix is dope and the song “framed” is the only good song off the album

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

sadly, the 'Chloraseptic' remix will have people talking about "what's Eminem's next album gonna be like?" for a while... forgetting that "Revival" was DEAD ON ARRIVAL, barely has any acceptable singles, songs, or timeless lyrics, and that Eminem basically hung up the audio towel with the last song on the record.

yeah Em's remix verse is sick and flames and shit... but :naswtf: is up with not having anything like that on the album? Ass backwards Marshall. I know you're gay and shit, but c'mon son. You want to get 2 Chainz and get rappity rappity riggity raw NOW, after the album relatively tanked?

Take this as a fucking lesson, Marshall. If you do one more album: FUCK YOUR BEYONCE, ALICIA KEYS, SKYLAR GREY, ED SHEERAN, ETC. COLLABS AND JUST RAP WITH FUCKING RAPPERS. ROYCE 59. NAS. JAY. LIL WAYNE. DRAKE. SLAUGHTERHOUSE. AND GET A FUCKING RECORD WITH PREMIER UNDER YOUR BELT. DAMMIT, GET -ANY- NEW PRODUCERS BESIDES YOUR CURRENT SHITPILE, GAWD. Without that, I need not hear a new Eminem song ever again. He's just facking up his legacy now.

*goes to listen to Watch Deez by Eminem with Thirstin Howell*

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: I know you're gay and shit, but c'mon son.
Written by a man who has sex with other men for a living.

Never forget :ghey:

:puke:

step one

Post by step one »

Neuro wrote:septic remix?
Managed about 20 seconds. Just descended into white noise after that.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:
congrats on putting on weight in your legs
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Mindbender Futurama wrote:sadly, the 'Chloraseptic' remix will have people talking about "what's Eminem's next album gonna be like?" for a while... forgetting that "Revival" was DEAD ON ARRIVAL, barely has any acceptable singles, songs, or timeless lyrics, and that Eminem basically hung up the audio towel with the last song on the record.

yeah Em's remix verse is sick and flames and shit... but :naswtf: is up with not having anything like that on the album? Ass backwards Marshall. I know you're gay and shit, but c'mon son. You want to get 2 Chainz and get rappity rappity riggity raw NOW, after the album relatively tanked?

Take this as a fucking lesson, Marshall. If you do one more album: FUCK YOUR BEYONCE, ALICIA KEYS, SKYLAR GREY, ED SHEERAN, ETC. COLLABS AND JUST RAP WITH FUCKING RAPPERS. ROYCE 59. NAS. JAY. LIL WAYNE. DRAKE. SLAUGHTERHOUSE. AND GET A FUCKING RECORD WITH PREMIER UNDER YOUR BELT. DAMMIT, GET -ANY- NEW PRODUCERS BESIDES YOUR CURRENT SHITPILE, GAWD. Without that, I need not hear a new Eminem song ever again. He's just facking up his legacy now.

*goes to listen to Watch Deez by Eminem with Thirstin Howell*
saddest thing is, 2chainz recorded his verse for the album and em left it off. :rofl:
1. Nas
2. Drake

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

this new Eminem cut seems to be a divisive issue...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) wrote:Is there a Ken Kaniff skit on this album?

Ken Kaniff skits >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eminem's music
Oh no doubt, his shit has been atrocious since The Marshall Mathers LP. Just Don't Give A Fuck is his best song. I'm buzzin', dirty dozen, naughty rotten rhymer, cursin' at you players worse than Marty Shottenheimer.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^sweet, more decades-old hot takes from true school faggots who think eminem is watering down the culture.

how'd you get back in here btw
1. Nas
2. Drake

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

"Revival" Or How Eminem Became An Brolic Yung Lean

Adding another log of critical feces to an existing pile, this is not your mom's Eminem. Revival is what life after or absent Vicodin is like if you are a multimillionaire in his mid-forties. What is Eminem reviving precisely? Memories of a Canibus-in-a-cast, read-screaming raps from a delapidated legal pad, while Dizaster dismantled the once-legend and devoured his carcass in the presence of an international audience?

Cameos, dog, I mean, look at this mess: Beyonce, Ed-motherfuckin'-Sheeran, Skylar Grey, and P!nk. Disgusting. Straight up reprehensible; there's your "Basket of Deplorables." Considering this is being touted as an "fiery, anti-Trump manifesto", it's acutely pathetic that Eminem chose the path of least resistance on what could have been a real revival of a dead genre: the politically-persuasive and profoundly-subversive Rap album.

Through his label and management he has unfettered access to artists like Westside Gunn and Conway. Two of today's vital voices eschewed for Dentist Office Front Lobby Appeal. Specific, in depth criticisms are worthless as the album is worthless.

Instead of offering a fig leaf to Kim he should have apologized to the public for unleashing this Tornado of 'Turds.' Yes: his BET performance was everything you'd expect from a matured, laser-focused rapper who had previously taken America by storm. Acerbic, commanding, viscerally political; he, however, decided to make another old, rich guy album like Bono (he's not cool because he was on Kendrick Lamar's album).