Black Thought HOT 97 freestyle

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

the dead poet

Re: Black Thought HOT 97 freestyle

Post by the dead poet »

Black Thought is amazing off the top. But that wasn't off the top. Still was fucking amazing though.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

No way this wasn't written, but yea def impressive.

I do have to say tho, that it still wasn't entertaining like say Big L's stretch and bob freestyles....

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

clark bent wrote:we can all count on one hand the number of true freestyles in hop hop history

tribe did it.....heiro too.....not sure who else
Dude there are hundreds and hundreds of true freestyles from all sorts or radio shows over the years. Unless you're talking about ones that were recorded on albums? in which case where did tribe and heiro do that? Supernat and juice are the only freestylers i can think of who actually put shit out on record. oh, and lord seer.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

clark bent wrote:we can all count on one hand the number of true freestyles in hop hop history

:roll:

ninja, have you ever heard of Supernatural? ever see him rap about stuff people have in their hands? :cheers:

uh, yeah. there's a few YEARS OF freestyle hip hop history :ohsh:

who else rapped off the head? um, FREESTYLE FELLOWSHIP :sherlock:

I can't even :blank:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Blockhead wrote:

Dude there are hundreds and hundreds of true freestyles from all sorts or radio shows over the years. Unless you're talking about ones that were recorded on albums? in which case where did tribe and heiro do that? Supernat and juice are the only freestylers i can think of who actually put shit out on record. oh, and lord seer.
Juice is actually the best TRULY FUCKING SPONTANEOUS OFF THE HEAD freestyler I have ever heard in my life.

Fuck this KRS-One defintion of 'freestyle' where its any verse that isn't released already on a record. :roll: That's just a fucking unreleased VERSE. Those are just BARS, bruh. 'Freestyling' is the art of rapping spontaneously, the way a saxophone can be played. Jesus Christ and Rakim, fucking newjacks. You must learn.

Black Thought WROTE most of that but didn't release it before. Some of it sounds like stuff that coulda been on 'Talented Mr Trotter', which is one of his many unreleased projects. Except the last 4 bars where he thanks Funk Flex, which are actual freestyle. He been waiting 20 YEARS to rap on Funk Flex. You think he's going to come up there and just wing it? Fuck outta here. That's all premeditated murder. There literally isn't a moment where he takes a breath to stop and think. Why? Because HE ALREADY THOUGHT those rhymes up, they are memorized. Nobody freestyles with that much multi-syllable structure and perfect punchline set-ups and delivery and clearly perfect articulation with literally only TWO verbal mistakes in the whole 10 minutes of rapping (one where he says "last summer" instead of "last supper"), fuck your whole brain to think otherwise, LOL. This also isn't freestyle because this ALL sounds like raps that Black Thought would *write*, straight up. Very few rappers freestyle even close to the level they write, c'mon bruh. Black Thought is trolling Jimmy Fuckboy Fallon by saying 'yeah that was all off the top', cause Fallon wouldn't know what off the top meant if Trump ejaculated on Jimmy's peabrain.

You can suck God's asshole if you think ANYBODY in hip hop is ***freestyling*** a line as motherfucking dope as:
"how much more CB4 can we afford?/ it's like Sharia Law on My Cherie Amour" :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :copy: :copy: :copy: :lock:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mud

Post by mud »

Freestyling is fucking gay
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Black Thought is top 10 all time, and if he isn't in your top 10 he should at least be in your top 15.

Amazing verse. That is the first time I heard that he said that was off the top. There is zero chance that was all off the top of the head. It was written. Doesn't take away from its magnificence, but it is weird he would say that when it clearly isn't true. I've heard him freestyle before, and he is very good at it, but that wasn't it.

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

To be fair, he asked if it was "freestyle," not off the top -- though that's clearly what Fallon was getting at. I guess it could have been an opportunity to explain what made it impressive had nothing to do with whether it was improvised, but it was easier to just say "yeah."

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

always thought the natural elements were the best...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... le-w514649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:smugkid: :smugkid: :smugkid: :smugkid: :ignore:

I knew that shit was written with a little freestyle thrown in. I only been listening to the dude for like 20+ years and shit. KANYESHRUG
Some people are debating whether your freestyle was improvised or pre-written. It sounds like it was a combination of the two.
It absolutely was a combination, as it would have to be. I mean, I'm no superhero. I'm definitely an adamant professional, and I feel like I've mastered the craft. But it's just changed. If I were on Stretch & Bobbito back in the day, like when I would go to their radio show and freestyle, everything had to be completely off the top. And, you know, I'm able to do that with the best of them. But in order to say what is needed, to get a rise out of young audiences, the 18-to-25s. … You know, I have a couple of boys who are 17, 18 years old…and in order to get that sort of response from them, it has to be a combination [of improvisation and pre-written]. There has to be a research element involved. No public speaker or stand-up comedian, I mean, there's no one who's going to give a speech completely off the top without having worked on the beats, and how you're going to say what it is that you're saying, or worked on the tone.

There were numerous topics you addressed during your freestyle. You talked about how the Roots' 1999 album Things Fall Apart anticipated the current political environment. You talked about growing up impoverished, and how you rose from those circumstances to win several Grammy Awards. How did you pick those topics?
I feel like the performance is better received when I'm able to show vulnerability and wisdom, and not only winner-takes-all. I'm not only concerned with the braggadocio aspect and proving my lyrical prowess. That's a part of it, and that's a part that has to be spoken to as well. … But at the same time, there needs to be a balance. So as I've matured, I've learned to give the listener, the audience, and my fans those glimpses into the inner workings of me, into what makes the machine that is Tariq Trotter. … The same way that any speechwriter – or Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock or Jerry Seinfeld – will incorporate elements of their everyday life so that they resonate with their audience, that's what I do.

There's a line in your rap where you say, "Can't explain what these lame kids are talkin' 'bout." There are folks debating that line. Did you call out the current generation of rappers?

Yeah, I mean, some of the current generation, the ones who are lame. There are some millennial artists that I totally get and understand, and I know what they're talking about. People who I've worked with and who I'd like to work with. But there's a whole element of artists that I can't explain what they're talking about. And it's not just because of their stylistic approach with the whole "mumble rap." Lots of people are saying that I shut down mumble rap in one 10-minute setting. But that wasn't my intention, because mumble rap – if we go back – that's something I invented. I invented rapping without actually using the words. … [W]ith songs like "Don't Say Nuthin'," freestyles like "New Year's At Jay Dee's," I essentially invented mumble rap, where you go for many bars without saying any words. And when I did it, it came from a place of being inspired by scatting.
:bunk: Black Thought didn't invent mumble rap. He's not popular enough to have invented it. It's not like 'Dont Say Nuthin' was a huge song, bruh. He circulated a trend that eventually caught on. Freestyle Fellowship have been scatting and mumbling and bleating on record since 'Innercity Griots'. It's a tradition that goes way back. Sure, BT is obviously paying homage to the jazz scatters of the past, but even in hip hop circles, he didn't invent mumble rap. He just performed it before it was popularized... by new school new jacks. But I DO like to think of this Funk Flex verse as The Moment Mumble Rap Died. I'll give Black Thought THAT credit. :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :hooray:

rap is outta control :ironmike:

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:But I DO like to think of this Funk Flex verse as The Moment Mumble Rap Died. I'll give Black Thought THAT credit.
It's not going anywhere. And I'm not a fan of it.