Is Pusha T the best MC of the last 15 years?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

Re: Is Pusha T the best MC of the last 15 years?

Post by stype_ones »

CarlosDelgothoes wrote:
stypeones wrote:
CarlosDelgothoes wrote:
stypeones wrote:I don't listen to Pusha T that much either.
you don't listen that much to someone you consider unquestionably the greatest rapper of the past 15 years?

what?
Yeah, I can have an objective conversation with an opinion without listening to the guy every day. I think LBJ is the best basketball player, maybe ever, but I don't watch every Cavs game.
Difference being that basketball IS objective. There are stats, awards, titles etc that are all based on merit, not emotions or feelings.

Outside of sales, music doesn't have that. But if you DID want an 'objective' conversation about who the best rapper of the past 15 years is, it'd unquestionably be Kanye, Drake or Kendrick. And certainly not bum ass Pusha T.
Those guys are certainly better artists overall. 2 of the 3 only sometimes write their own rhymes, though. And I love Kendrick as an artist and he is a dope MC but also an overrated one skill wise.

I'm strictly talking about rapping here btw. Which is why the Jadakiss talk is spot on.

Whatever, I was bent last night when I made this thread- I don't really care that much to keep arguing with dudes on a message board. But people writing off Pusha T and what he has done over the last 15 years is straight clown shit. His work in the Clipse alone is enough to have him in any conversation about the best rappers of the last 15 years.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Drake is Katy Perry with a dong and gullier posse; he will never, and should never be, included in a serious ranking of the illest from any era.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stypeones wrote: 2 of the 3 only sometimes write their own rhymes, though.

I'm strictly talking about rapping here btw. .
:rofl: / :copy:

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Employee wrote:Drake is Katy Perry with a dong and gullier posse; he will never, and should never be, included in a serious ranking of the illest from any era.
This. And anyone that doesn’t write their own shit cannot be considered one of the best mcs ever. That’s a prerequisite.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stypeones wrote:I love Kendrick as an artist and he is a dope MC but also an overrated one skill wise.
Kendrick Lamar is the most overrated rapper of the past ten years. His fanboiz are sickening.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

stypeones wrote: I'm strictly talking about rapping here btw.
!!!!!!! RAP VERSUS HIPHOP ALERT !!!!!!!!!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Employee wrote:
stypeones wrote:I love Kendrick as an artist and he is a dope MC but also an overrated one skill wise.
Kendrick Lamar is the most overrated rapper of the past ten years. His fanboiz are sickening.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Spartan wrote:
Employee wrote:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

When I hear somebody try and say Kendrick is a top 5 I puke. When I hear them say he is a top 10, I see red. When I hear somebody say he has 3 or 4 classics, I hate life just a little more.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Then it's settled, it's Drake.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Philaflava wrote:When I hear somebody try and say Kendrick is a top 5 I puke. When I hear them say he is a top 10, I see red. When I hear somebody say he has 3 or 4 classics, I hate life just a little more.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Kendrick is dope, no doubt about that- but this idea that he is top, even 10 of all time is crazy. Yes, he's made a bunch of nice albums, but that is not the only criteria. History says so. Also none of his albums are nearly as good as people make them out to be. That's not to take away from him, but they way some people tell it, they are all 5 mics. In the real days of ratings, 4 mics still meant your album was great and superior, and that is pretty much what I rate all his albums as.

But with him as well, you can't just dismiss him like hes garbage. There is a lot of real estate between top 10 and garbage in which many artists land.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Damn is uneven but the other two are dope. Time will tell if he's one of the greats....

Not for you guys tho. You're ageing/retired hiphopheads mostly uninterested in anything new unless it sounds completely familiar. The most celebrated rappers on this board in the past years have been ka/roc marci/pusha and before that your old droog. Lol. At least most of you saw through action cockson.

Let me tell you as a young god that drake and kendrick have already displaced black thot and madta ace out of your personal top 5. Soz!
1. Nas
2. Drake

step one

Post by step one »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:Damn is uneven but the other two are dope. Time will tell if he's one of the greats....

Not for you guys tho. You're ageing/retired hiphopheads mostly uninterested in anything new unless it sounds completely familiar. The most celebrated rappers on this board in the past years have been ka/roc marci/pusha and before that your old droog. Lol. At least most of you saw through action cockson.

Let me tell you as a young god that drake and kendrick have already displaced black thot and madta ace out of your personal top 5. Soz!
There was definitely a brief discussion about your attempts to appear more 'in touch' than other posters and it was decided it was even less convincing than Gucci pretending he was 26.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:Damn is uneven but the other two are dope. Time will tell if he's one of the greats....

I can't speak for anyone else, and believe me, I am what they call a "head" from the 80's and 90's, but I ALWAYS check for new shit and never compare it to the old shit like so many do and then use that comparison for my reasoning as to why it's wack. That is a retard's way of listening and thinking. And the new shit is not just Roc and KA or whoever that was around n the 90's but found popularity now.

I've liked plenty of shit Future has put out. I loved the Isiah Rashad stuff. I love Kendrick. I thought 21's ISSA Album was dope. I really am objective and try to always listen to stuff with an open mind. But I also don't overrate it like how everyone does with Kendrick. He's great and all, but when people say GKMC is better or even as good as illmatic, it's just as dumb as hating new shit because it's not illmatic.

I won't lie, and it is documented here- I had to come around to A$AP Rocky because i just thought his initial shit was trying too hard to be like everybody else's shit when he was repping for my city, but I came around on some of his stuff.

It's a new world for those of us who are 35+. I'm almost 40, and have an older brother so I've been listening to rap since the very early days through him. But my barber brings his 12 year old son to the shop and we talk to him about current Rap music and I think this is the first time where any of us find ourselves in the same music culture as those kids who are so much younger than us. It's a weird situation. You can't kill them for thinking Kendrick is what we thought Rakim or Nas was when we were 12.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Also, Drake is a pop artist. Of course, like it or not "Hip Hop" is the pop music in 2018 when artists are played on Z100, but still most Hip Hop is not played on Pop stations. There is a blur in the line because Rhianna and Beyonce, even Chris Brown or Bruno Mars are considered "Hip Hop" even though they clearly to those who know, aren't.

This is the problem in 2018. The other problem is the guys who are on the other side who are still trying to make "REAL HIP HOP" make shitty music for the most part. Trying to recreate a sound and music that doesn't exist anymore is absolutely worse than Drake, I'd rather listen to God's Plan on repeat than almost any song made by a 90's rapper trying to recreate shit. Of course some of those guys make good shit so you take it where you can get it, but overall it's sad. Thankful for guys like Roc, Dave East, Pusha, Fab, Jada etc who can still give you an album/ song here and there that are worth it.

And I know people hate, but it's also great when Nas, Jay, Rae, Ghost, whoever drop a song or album because Ic an get into it unless it terrible.

And of course, for me, I'm always ready for Yeezy season.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

I thought 21's ISSA Album was dope.
retard detected.

jk (even tho savage mode is way better). your responses are very thoughtful and i can see you're open minded. i think i'm the retard who made a thread about "GKMC >>> illmatic" which of course got trashed by the dinos here. thing is it's not trolling, there is actually merit to making that statement, even if it's just overcoming that mental hurdle of 'nothing could be better than illmatic' ... 'could it?'

future is obv dope, i think he's the most recent rapper who's won a bit of respect around the :phila: (besides 90s jockers). i actually really like joey buttass, even if he sounds like sticky fingaz's sticky load. (rockabye off the recent album is tuff)

i can't fw u on drake tho. he makes a ton of pop songs, sure. pop rap and even straight r&b, even straight dancehall. but are we forgetting all those corny joints hov put out? i know what girls like? sunshine?? butchering 2pac's best song to make a lil cute duet? ex post hov got a pass, same heads hold out on drizzy. god's plan is cool, it's prob better than half of jay's pop songs. but the reason hiphopheads like drake is cause of joints like this (came out feb)

1. Nas
2. Drake

step one

Post by step one »

Just stop. Your opinions and analysis of all music is fucking terrible and worthless.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

step one wrote:Just stop. Your opinions and analysis of all music is fucking terrible and worthless.
I’m ashamed to admit that I agree with this.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Clean Hobo wrote:
step one wrote:Just stop. Your opinions and analysis of all music is fucking terrible and worthless.
I’m ashamed to admit that I agree with this.
Me too. Not ashamed, though.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

on my shaft, right on schedule.

@u other two: no hard feelings grampaws.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:

I wasn’t talking to you.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Clean Hobo wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:

I wasn’t talking to you.

Talking to me then, I assume?

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

stypeones wrote:
Clean Hobo wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:

I wasn’t talking to you.

Talking to me then, I assume?
I guess it depends on who yak and step were talking to.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

It's cool, I don't really give a fuck, I just like the convo.

I mean, nobody could possibly ever tell me my analysis of music, especially, but certainly not limited to Hip Hip is useless. But it's all good either way.

I'm still in the hood and around hood dudes pretty often, so I guess that is an influence that some of you guys may or may not have. In the hood, it's mostly about what's new. Young or old, that's typically the way it is. But I'm complex. I contradict myself quite often, despite the fact that I don't front. I know that seems like a oxymoron but I live in real time in the moment. I might hate something one day, and love it the next. I evolve daily. Yet, I am still grounded in the roots of true Hip Hop. Nobody can say shit to me about that. I just like what I like as anyone else does so it's all good music is a subjective thing.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

stypeones wrote:It's cool, I don't really give a fuck, I just like the convo.

I mean, nobody could possibly ever tell me my analysis of music, especially, but certainly not limited to Hip Hip is useless. But it's all good either way.

I'm still in the hood and around hood dudes pretty often, so I guess that is an influence that some of you guys may or may not have. In the hood, it's mostly about what's new. Young or old, that's typically the way it is. But I'm complex. I contradict myself quite often, despite the fact that I don't front. I know that seems like a oxymoron but I live in real time in the moment. I might hate something one day, and love it the next. I evolve daily. Yet, I am still grounded in the roots of true Hip Hop. Nobody can say shit to me about that. I just like what I like as anyone else does so it's all good music is a subjective thing.
Yeah, I was definitely talking to you.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Clean Hobo wrote:
stypeones wrote:It's cool, I don't really give a fuck, I just like the convo.

Yeah, I was definitely talking to you.

I like it.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Where are you from and how old are you, Clean? Just Curious.. Also name your favorite MC of all time, and your favorite MC of the last 15 years (meaning, which was the point of this thread- one who came out in the last 15 years, not overall who is still rapping in the last 15 years but was out before).

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

stypeones wrote:Where are you from and how old are you, Clean? Just Curious.. Also name your favorite MC of all time, and your favorite MC of the last 15 years (meaning, which was the point of this thread- one who came out in the last 15 years, not overall who is still rapping in the last 15 years but was out before).
I’m just fuckin with ya. You seem like a good dude.

Born 7-11-1980 in San Diego

AZ is my favorite rapper and coincidentally the best rapper of all time in any decade. Pusha started in the 90’s. I don’t care about solo.

Post by 907 »

Slug's output the last 15 years > Pusha's.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.