Is Pusha T the best MC of the last 15 years?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

Is Pusha T the best MC of the last 15 years?

Post by stype_ones »

I think so. Is he kinda one dimensional? Probably- but his verses are absurd. Fly shit, gangsta shit, introspective shit, hype shit. I can't think of anyone better who came out in the early 2000's and can still destroy shit to this day. Clipse records are great. The We Got It For Cheap Tapes are great. (WGI4C Vol 2 must be mentioned with the best of that "mixtape" era) His solo shit is great. His guest spots are great.

I really can't see the argument but I'm glad to have it if you think anyone is iller over the last 15 or so years.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Is Pusha T the best MC of the last 15 years?

Post by Philaflava »

Can't co-sign this. He is right up there with say Jadakiss. Pound for pound it's Thought.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Black Thought has simply not been better than Push since 2002-2003 until today, despite that amazing freestyle he dropped on Flex.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

He did Felx too. Listen, what BT did on Flex was unprecedented. I'm not taking anything away from that, and I love the Roots, but Push has been even more ill over these years.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Nah. Stopped checking for him after Fear of God.

step one

Post by step one »

Haven't liked anything he's done since Clipse. Was a big fan but he just became the ultimate generic, predictable drug rapper. Plus he created that awful McDonalds 'lovin it' jingle so fuck him.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

step one

Post by step one »

stypeones wrote:He did Felx too. Listen, what BT did on Flex was unprecedented. I'm not taking anything away from that, and I love the Roots, but Push has been even more ill over these years.

Prime example. "This cocaine cowboy pushed it to the limit"

Dudes been signed to major labels since 1998, talk about something else ffs.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Ha, he's definitely found his lane and stuck to it. But he's done so at a high level. Kendrick is in the argument. BT as well. Roc.. Few others. I just went to Push in ITunes and hit shuffle and it was like 2 hours of non stop crazy verses. Do it for yourself if you don't believe me lol.

step one

Post by step one »

That would send me into a coma tbh. Are you sure it wasn't just the same 2 verses for 2 hours and if not how could you tell?

Jada does what Push does 100 times better and even switches up his subject matter now and again, plus he never spent his late 30s following Kanye around like a lost puppy.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I personally liked him more when he was with his brother. He hasn't made anything as interesting as HHNF IMO.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Philaflava wrote:I personally liked him more when he was with his brother. He hasn't made anything as interesting as HHNF IMO.
This

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

stypeones wrote:I just went to Push in ITunes and hit shuffle and it was like 2 hours of non stop crazy verses.
2 hours of being told he's not a rapper and may have sold drugs at some point wow crazy hot

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

CarlosDelgothoes wrote:
stypeones wrote:I just went to Push in ITunes and hit shuffle and it was like 2 hours of non stop crazy verses.
2 hours of being told he's not a rapper and may have sold drugs at some point wow crazy hot
Flames

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Thread has echoes of "Is Zack De La Rocha A 'Top 50' MC?" all over its ass.

If Pusha T is the best of the last decade-and-a-half then I have the biggest dick on the West Coast.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

MODS - THIS IS FROM THE ROC MARCI 80 FEATURES THREAD:
stypeones wrote:
I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:Tired of this guy, it's just one long verse at this point, Same thing with Action Bronson, if you've heard one verse, you've heard them all.
He's great, but I do tend to agree. That's why I space out my Roc intake. There are many artists that I can get lost down a rabbit hole with, but Roc is not one of them. I have 1 or 2 day flashes of listening to his music, but then I have to fall back. It's not a sustainable listening experience IMO. But the moments of pleasure are hard to match.
Time to lock this shit up.

:lock:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Employee wrote:MODS - THIS IS FROM THE ROC MARCI 80 FEATURES THREAD:
stypeones wrote:
I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:Tired of this guy, it's just one long verse at this point, Same thing with Action Bronson, if you've heard one verse, you've heard them all.
He's great, but I do tend to agree. That's why I space out my Roc intake. There are many artists that I can get lost down a rabbit hole with, but Roc is not one of them. I have 1 or 2 day flashes of listening to his music, but then I have to fall back. It's not a sustainable listening experience IMO. But the moments of pleasure are hard to match.
Time to lock this shit up.

:lock:
I don't listen to Pusha T that much either. Similarly to Roc, it's usually a day or two that I will be on a run and listen to him as opposed to other artists or groups that I can rock out for longer during commutes, the gym, whatever.

So, Pusha is not even in the discussion as one of the best to come out since 2002?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

You just said you want Pusha T to adopt you and now you're trying to deny your imaginary Dad because your Rap Analysis is a hate crime?

:mods:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Employee wrote:Thread has echoes of "Is Zack De La Rocha A 'Top 50' MC?" all over its ass.
This is such a bad comparison and you know it.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stypeones wrote:
So, Pusha is not even in the discussion as one of the best to come out since 2002?
Unless you're mamli, you'd get laughed out of every conversation with your hilarious, likely-Croatian supposition.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Employee wrote:You just said you want Pusha T to adopt you and now you're trying to deny your imaginary Dad because your Rap Analysis is a hate crime?

I'm just saying I don't listen to him that often, but almost everything he has ever done has been good to great over the last 15 years. That makes him 1 of the best of that period and imo, rhyme for rhyme he is a better MC than most.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Employee wrote:You just said you want Pusha T to adopt you and now you're trying to deny your imaginary Dad because your Rap Analysis is a hate crime?

:rofl:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stypeones wrote:
Employee wrote:Thread has echoes of "Is Zack De La Rocha A 'Top 50' MC?" all over its ass.
This is such a bad comparison and you know it.
No.

I see and read a lot of dumb shit; this is up there with the dumbest and shittiest.

CarlosDelgothoes

stypeones wrote:I don't listen to Pusha T that much either.
you don't listen that much to someone you consider unquestionably the greatest rapper of the past 15 years?

what?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stypeones wrote:

I'm just saying I don't listen to him that often, but almost everything he has ever done has been good to great over the last 15 years. That makes him 1 of the best of that period and imo, rhyme for rhyme he is a better MC than most.
You don't really listen to him, but he's the best of the last fifteen years?

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

CarlosDelgothoes wrote:
you don't listen that much to someone you consider unquestionably the greatest rapper of the past 15 years?

what?
Yeah, I can have an objective conversation with an opinion without listening to the guy every day. I think LBJ is the best basketball player, maybe ever, but I don't watch every Cavs game.

That was just a point, not comparing Pusha to Lebron before you guys get even gayer about this.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stypeones wrote:
That was just a point, not comparing Pusha to Lebron before you guys get even gayer about this.
Tbf, you started a wildly gay thread and any ensuing gayness is your own gay thread's responsibility.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

My name is my name and darkest before the dawn are dope. No he's not close tho. (BT is nowhere near this convo either -- at this point it's not even home teaming, it's just dickriding).

I guess your cutoff is a lil too late to count wayne, so the obvious answer is drake and the #howcanibedown answer is kendrick.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

CarlosDelgothoes

stypeones wrote:
CarlosDelgothoes wrote:

what?
Yeah, I can have an objective conversation with an opinion without listening to the guy every day. I think LBJ is the best basketball player, maybe ever, but I don't watch every Cavs game.
Difference being that basketball IS objective. There are stats, awards, titles etc that are all based on merit, not emotions or feelings.

Outside of sales, music doesn't have that. But if you DID want an 'objective' conversation about who the best rapper of the past 15 years is, it'd unquestionably be Kanye, Drake or Kendrick. And certainly not bum ass Pusha T.