Can we talk about Childish Gambino for a sec?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Can we talk about Childish Gambino for a sec?

Post by Employee »

https://www.spin.com/2018/05/donald-glo ... ca-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neither the video or the song are aware of what they think they’re aware of. The former deals in shock and violence to distract you from the fact that the latter is a B-grade attempt at a Kendrick Lamar song, capitalizing on the culture’s growing numbness to seeing black people being murdered while claiming to be making a point. Glover depicts violence done to black people in graphic detail–at one moment even showing himself gunning down a black choir in what feels like an allusion to the Charleston church murders–while rapping about partying and making money. The juxtaposition of the two things is obvious and feels infuriatingly cheap. It is pandering to the current cultural climate’s need for art, particularly black art, to be serious, woke, and important without actually having anything to say. At worst, it’s an arrogant finger wag at the culture’s money-hungry attitudes and vapid partying in the midst of racial violence; at best, it’s a lazy critique of capitalism and America’s gun problem. Its argument against treating the death of black people as callous and inconsequential is to depict the death of black people as callous and inconsequential.
:copy:

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:I am another Black genius that co-signs these sentiments:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

hipster mags are comparing this to kendrick cause it's the last rap song they paid attention to. kendrick has verses on his songs. unlike childish gaybitchho kendrick took his wayne biting to an original place, instead of moving on to the next artist to bite. dong lover=wack rapper, stick to acting.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:childish gaybitchho

:PhilosophizingJaz: :PhilosophizingJaz: :PhilosophizingJaz: JAZ BACK :PhilosophizingJaz: :PhilosophizingJaz: :PhilosophizingJaz:

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

CarlosDelgothoes wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:childish gaybitchho

:PhilosophizingJaz: :PhilosophizingJaz: :PhilosophizingJaz: JAZ BACK :PhilosophizingJaz: :PhilosophizingJaz: :PhilosophizingJaz:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

https://pitchfork.com/news/childish-gam ... legations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Childish Gambino Collaborator Denies “This Is America” Plagiarism Allegations
Fans have suggested that Donald Glover “stole” his No. 1 single from NYC rapper Jase Harley

One of Donald Glover’s creative partners has denied claims that Glover “stole” the music for his No. 1 single “This Is America” from a March 2016 song called “American Pharaoh” by New York rapper Jase Harley. Fam Rothstein is a co-principal of the creative agency Wolf + Rothstein (which is comprised of himself, Donald Glover, and Wolf Taylor), and he also co-produced the music video for “This Is America.”

This morning, in response to a user who claimed that Glover “stole the song,” Rothstein tweeted: “The internet is a place of no consequences. I hate that Toronto Akademiks/every white blogger can say something as gospel and y’all take it. This song is 3 yrs old, and we have Pro Tools files to prove it.” (The tweet has since been deleted.)

Allegations of plagiarism against Glover surfaced on Reddit this past weekend, with Redditors citing comments on Jase Harley’s Instagram. Someone wrote to Harley, “People are saying Donald Glover bit your song ‘American Pharoah’ with ‘This Is America.’ What do you think?” Harley responded, “I always felt my song inspired it lol from the first time I heard it.”

Harley added, “It’s cool tho.... Glad they liked my song. It’s all love.” He also wrote that “a shout out would be cool,” that it’s “dope [he] could’ve had some influence on the record,” and that “all artist get inspired by others.”

Earlier today, Harley shared an Instagram post addressing the controversy. “I feel extremely humbled to be recognized and labeled as one or the original inspirations for one of the most important pieces of music and visual art of our time,” he wrote. He then asked that “this controversy” not “dilute the message me and [Glover] are trying to convey.” He continued, “We are speaking about injustices we’ve encountered and he’s helped to provide a platform for all our voices to be heard. Let’s not discredit him for that!” Read Harley’s full statement below.

VERDICT: BITER

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Employee wrote:Earlier today, Harley shared an Instagram post addressing the controversy. “I feel extremely humbled to be recognized and labeled as one or the original inspirations for one of the most important pieces of music and visual art of our time,” he wrote.
:larry:

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Damn Jase Harley seems like the coolest dude ever from his response lo
#matureaf

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »